Not sure if I should drop out

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Currently in a really difficult situation and I'm really not sure what to do. I am a mechanical engineering student at Coventry and have finished first year. I have not been enjoying living at Coventry at all.

Through first year I thought about dropping out but stuck with it believing that it would get better. I can't help think that I would have enjoyed a different university much better and find it sad when I hear my friends from back home at other unis having a good time.

I don't know why I have left it so late to take action about not enjoying my uni experience. I have a house already with 3 others that I met in freshers who are my main friends. Without them I would've definitely dropped out.

A few of my friends back home who took a gap year reapplied through UCAS and managed to get into unis with much higher grade boundaries than what they achieved. My predicted grades (BBB) are something that limited me applying to unis i really wanted to go to e.g Southampton or Nottingham or Bath. I wish I knew that reapplying with my actual grades(ABC) during a gap year wouldve enabled me to apply to unis higher unis possibly.

I have emailed several unis since the start of August to see if it would be possible to transfer into second year which they have come back with no. I am really unsure if I should drop out before second year to reapply or stay on for year 2 at Cov. No doubt I would have to continue to pay for my house if I dropped out which is a disadvantage. The whole situation is getting me pretty down as I feel lost on what I should do.

If u have read this all thank u I would be grateful for any advice.
KaptainCliff
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tough situation. I dropped out of my original uni in first year because I wasn't enjoying it. I then went on to go to a different uni closer to home (same course) and enjoyed it much more.

It really does depend on your circumstances and just how much you want to leave really. It's perfectly okay to drop out if that's what you really want. Have you spoken to your parents about it?

If you leave before you start second year you're still entitled to student finance for the duration of a different course. You would have to reapply and take a year out. When I dropped out I got a job to tide me over between leaving and joining a different uni - it's what I'd recommend you do if you dropped out, but it's so much harder to find a job with Covid knocking around.

On the other hand, you've got 2 years left and it sounds like you've made some good friends. Does that make it bearable to stick it out?
Mechenger2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KaptainCliff)
Tough situation. I dropped out of my original uni in first year because I wasn't enjoying it. I then went on to go to a different uni closer to home (same course) and enjoyed it much more.

It really does depend on your circumstances and just how much you want to leave really. It's perfectly okay to drop out if that's what you really want. Have you spoken to your parents about it?

If you leave before you start second year you're still entitled to student finance for the duration of a different course. You would have to reapply and take a year out. When I dropped out I got a job to tide me over between leaving and joining a different uni - it's what I'd recommend you do if you dropped out, but it's so much harder to find a job with Covid knocking around.

On the other hand, you've got 2 years left and it sounds like you've made some good friends. Does that make it bearable to stick it out?
I have spoken to my parents about it and they support me in whatever I decide to do. My Dad wanted me to email around other unis to see if they had any spaces (as I mentioned in the original thread) and that way I'd know if there was another opportunity. I think I would manage to cope another two years at Coventry as that actual course is quite good. But it's difficult to know that if I manage to find another university place if I entered clearing which starts tomorrow that I'd have a better time.
banker12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im in the same situation. I am at warwick. just finished first year but want to switch degrees to maths & statistics. there is no more space on the course until they know when students register. So I'm not sure what to do next.
Last edited by banker12345; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by banker12345)
im in the same situation. I am at warwick. just finished first year but want to switch degrees to maths & statistics. there is no more space on the course until they know when students register. So I'm not sure what to do next.
What do you think of the city of Coventry? Lots of Warwick students have to go to Coventry for a night out.
banker12345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What do you think of the city of Coventry? Lots of Warwick students have to go to Coventry for a night out.
the city is quite dead tbh, nightlife is average.
lots of warwick students go cov for nights out
Anonymous #1
the city is quite dead tbh, nightlife is average.
lots of warwick students go cov for nights out
Yeah I agree. Living outside of the ring road in Coventry is where it gets dodgy. I don't feel safe in the house I am renting in which I stayed in a few weeks ago for the weekend. I would rather be at a proper campus uni like Warwick. With this whole corona situation limiting the amount of contact hours a week I really am tempted to drop out and reapply for next year and hopefully everything is back to normal by then.
banker12345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I agree. Living outside of the ring road in Coventry is where it gets dodgy. I don't feel safe in the house I am renting in which I stayed in a few weeks ago for the weekend. I would rather be at a proper campus uni like Warwick. With this whole corona situation limiting the amount of contact hours a week I really am tempted to drop out and reapply for next year and hopefully everything is back to normal by then.
but then you've pretty much wasted 2 years no? hence you'll graduate 2 years later than normal
Anonymous #1
but then you've pretty much wasted 2 years no? hence you'll graduate 2 years later than normal
Yes true. This is why I'm so conflicted on what to do. I wish I could go back in time and apply to a different uni. I think the only options I really have is to either stick with it or enter into clearing.
banker12345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that is my situation. i want to transfer to maths&stats. kinda affecting my life atm, so i dunno what to do
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
coventry isn't that bad. birmingham is very close , just take a train like 5-10min to birmingham already. Warwick ppl also come to coventry. Coventry is prob the most diverse place with quite a lot of international students so it's nice getting to know a lot of ppl from different background. for Nottingham,bath you can't transfer to second year because most top unis would only allow transfer if it on similar level e.g. from another Russel group uni.
Anonymous #1
coventry isn't that bad. birmingham is very close , just take a train like 5-10min to birmingham already. Warwick ppl also come to coventry. Coventry is prob the most diverse place with quite a lot of international students so it's nice getting to know a lot of ppl from different background. for Nottingham,bath you can't transfer to second year because most top unis would only allow transfer if it on similar level e.g. from another Russel group uni.
You're right, it is very diverse. Lots of people on my course come from places like Malaysia or India. For group projects it can be quite difficult as many students aren't as fluent in English as you would expect to be able to study in a uk uni. They also have different qualifications which made first year all about covering A-Level Maths and Physics so we were all on the same level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.83%
No (179)
78.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise