r95791
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I submitted my PGCE application for Sept 2020 start just over 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard anything, and I had to substitute one of my choices right after I sent off my application due to one of my choices being full. Am I meant to receive a confirmation email from each provider to let me know they have my application?Is this time of year a bad time to apply for a PGCE? I know everything is up in the air at the moment, but would they normally take a long time to respond? I have applied to two schools and a university.Thanks.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by r95791)
I submitted my PGCE application for Sept 2020 start just over 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard anything, and I had to substitute one of my choices right after I sent off my application due to one of my choices being full. Am I meant to receive a confirmation email from each provider to let me know they have my application?Is this time of year a bad time to apply for a PGCE? I know everything is up in the air at the moment, but would they normally take a long time to respond? I have applied to two schools and a university.Thanks.
Hello r95791

The courses to whom you apply have 20 working days to respond to you at this time of the year. However, they are often quicker than that. I strongly encourage you to contact the schools/university to check that they have your application, and that they still have places available. I am finding that courses are closing very swiftly at the moment.

Fingers crossed that you have a response soon!

Jane
r95791
Rep:
?
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hello r95791

The courses to whom you apply have 20 working days to respond to you at this time of the year. However, they are often quicker than that. I strongly encourage you to contact the schools/university to check that they have your application, and that they still have places available. I am finding that courses are closing very swiftly at the moment.

Fingers crossed that you have a response soon!

Jane
I've contacted all of my choices and I'm still none the wiser! I really wish I knew what the hold up was! Thanks for your help
Get into Teaching
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I've contacted all of my choices and I'm still none the wiser! I really wish I knew what the hold up was! Thanks for your help
Hello r95791

When you contacted them, what did that say?

Jane
r95791
Rep:
?
Hello r95791

When you contacted them, what did that say?

Jane
So I'm still waiting to hear back from one of the schools I applied to, and I contacted the university I applied to and they said that the course is still open for 2020 entry.
Get into Teaching
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
So I'm still waiting to hear back from one of the schools I applied to, and I contacted the university I applied to and they said that the course is still open for 2020 entry.
Hello r95791

I think the lack of response from the school suggested that they are on a skeleton staff. Have they got any social media updates on their recruitment? The university one seems more positive. They confirmed that they DO still have places, but I expect they will have staff on holiday too.

It's not the best time of the year to be applying, but if places are available, then there is still a chance!

Jane
r95791
Rep:
?
Hello r95791

I think the lack of response from the school suggested that they are on a skeleton staff. Have they got any social media updates on their recruitment? The university one seems more positive. They confirmed that they DO still have places, but I expect they will have staff on holiday too.

It's not the best time of the year to be applying, but if places are available, then there is still a chance!

Jane
Hi Jane,

I've checked their social media pages, but again - nothing! I'll just have to hang fire.

Just a quick question, what exactly is Apply 2 and when would it open? I'm not sure how it works and if it opens for everybody at a certain time.

Thanks
Get into Teaching
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi Jane,

I've checked their social media pages, but again - nothing! I'll just have to hang fire.

Just a quick question, what exactly is Apply 2 and when would it open? I'm not sure how it works and if it opens for everybody at a certain time.

Thanks
Hello r95791

That's more than frustrating!

Apply Two is where you may make further applications to other providers that remain open to applications. It's been open since Xmas. UCAS as put a guide together to explain how to use it - https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/te...aining-apply-2

Jane
DrTomato
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Back in June I applied and got 2 interviews then offers within 10 days. My 3rd choice were a lot slower to offer an interview but by then I had an offer from my first choice.

It's going to take a lot longer now as unis are likely prioritising the titanic mess with A levels then seeing what's available for clearing. I imagine there are still a lot of teaching places but you might have to be flexible on subject + location.

I was going to apply to Brighton and Sussex but they were full in June :eek:. I guess both are popular choices and also they have a lot of undergrad courses that would lead into teaching.
El.Capitán
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by DrTomato)
Back in June I applied and got 2 interviews then offers within 10 days. My 3rd choice were a lot slower to offer an interview but by then I had an offer from my first choice.

It's going to take a lot longer now as unis are likely prioritising the titanic mess with A levels then seeing what's available for clearing. I imagine there are still a lot of teaching places but you might have to be flexible on subject + location.

I was going to apply to Brighton and Sussex but they were full in June :eek:. I guess both are popular choices and also they have a lot of undergrad courses that would lead into teaching.
Hope you are well

How did they conduct your interviews given COVID? If it was online, what was the structure of the interviews - 1 on 1, in groups, mix of both, etc, and how long was it?
nicz206
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, Just wanted to ask, does anyone know how long it takes for unis to get back to you after the interview?

El.Capitán I hope you got the interviews. Mine was a mixture of group discussion and a small written task. Yes all was on Microsoft Teams.

Thanks
Nicole
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (170)
41.87%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (60)
14.78%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (168)
41.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.97%

Watched Threads