jammypop101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
what skills from a level biology maths and psychology link to studying optometry?????
Izzy003
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Attention to detail, analysis, problem-solving
That's all I can think of as I only do maths and psychology. Idk in terms of biology
Sakiudns
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jammypop101)
what skills from a level biology maths and psychology link to studying optometry?????
i wana study optom tooo
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You don't need to talk about your A Levels at all
jammypop101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sakiudns)
i wana study optom tooo
oooo where are you thinking of going??
Sakiudns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oooo where are you thinking of going??
manchester bradford etc
nxsha
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi I did the exact same subjects at A-level and I'm going to start my Optom course this September Hope this helps-

Biology:
-Accuracy skills from using scientific equipment
-Attention to detail
-Dexterity

Maths:
-Logical thinking
-Problem-solving

Psychology
-Empathy (see situations from patients perspective)
-Writing/analysis skills maybe?
Sakiudns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by vanishaxp)
Hi I did the exact same subjects at A-level and I'm going to start my Optom course this September Hope this helps-

Biology:
-Accuracy skills from using scientific equipment
-Attention to detail
-Dexterity

Maths:
-Logical thinking
-Problem-solving

Psychology
-Empathy (see situations from patients perspective)
-Writing/analysis skills maybe?
hey any tipz on revisiom and ps?
what uni
nxsha
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hey any tipz on revisiom and ps?
what uni
-For Bio especially do loads of practice papers as it will help you understand the mark scheme better because they're really precise and annoying Always bullet point your answers in Bio so you don't waste time (unless it says otherwise or it's more than 6 marks)
-Try making flashcards instead of copying notes out of a textbook because it actively tests your knowledge when you're using them
-If you want to see how much you remember about one topic then write it out on paper from memory and check it against your notes, I used this technique so much!
-Find time to go over past topics
-Do your class end of topic tests/homework again for revision

And for all subjects, if you're unsure about anything then remember to go back to it and try to understand it or you'll end up with loads of gaps in your knowledge- watch a youtube video/ask your teacher.

Personal statement: Mention why you want to do Optom, talk about transferrable skills from your subjects and work experience/volunteering, if you've done work experience at an optician then go into a lot of detail about that e.g. what you learnt about the working environment, the equipment used, dealing with customers etc.

Btw I'm going to Aston. I hope these tips help!! x
jammypop101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
-For Bio especially do loads of practice papers as it will help you understand the mark scheme better because they're really precise and annoying Always bullet point your answers in Bio so you don't waste time (unless it says otherwise or it's more than 6 marks)
-Try making flashcards instead of copying notes out of a textbook because it actively tests your knowledge when you're using them
-If you want to see how much you remember about one topic then write it out on paper from memory and check it against your notes, I used this technique so much!
-Find time to go over past topics
-Do your class end of topic tests/homework again for revision

And for all subjects, if you're unsure about anything then remember to go back to it and try to understand it or you'll end up with loads of gaps in your knowledge- watch a youtube video/ask your teacher.

Personal statement: Mention why you want to do Optom, talk about transferrable skills from your subjects and work experience/volunteering, if you've done work experience at an optician then go into a lot of detail about that e.g. what you learnt about the working environment, the equipment used, dealing with customers etc.

Btw I'm going to Aston. I hope these tips help!! x
i wanna go to aston too! what sort of things do they look for in a personal statement if you havent done work experiance? how can i show my interest like that? also what questions did they ask you in your interview and how did you prepare?

thankyou for your reply about the skills too!
nxsha
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i wanna go to aston too! what sort of things do they look for in a personal statement if you havent done work experiance? how can i show my interest like that? also what questions did they ask you in your interview and how did you prepare?

thankyou for your reply about the skills too!
They probably want to know that you're actually interested in learning about optometry, so talk about why you want to study it in your first paragraph and how you decided e.g. careers fair, talking to an optometrist. If you haven't done any work experience then you can still show you're passionate through any articles/books/magazines/documentaries you've read or seen. If you haven't then there's still loads of time to do so

You can also talk about volunteering, hobbies, extra curriculars, Duke of Edinburgh award/NCS and try to link the skills you learned from it to Optometry e.g. teamwork, people skills.

As for the interviews, it was more of a friendly, informal conversation so you have nothing to worry about! They just asked simple questions like 'Why Aston?' 'Why optom?' 'What are your hobbies?' But some unis may be more difficult e.g. Manchester had a scenario question. If you want to prepare then you could write out your answers beforehand to the questions I mentioned. Also something I wish I did is to go through your personal statement and write down any questions they could ask you about it and make sure you have a rough idea about what to say.

Hope this answered all your questions! x
jammypop101
Rep:
?
They probably want to know that you're actually interested in learning about optometry, so talk about why you want to study it in your first paragraph and how you decided e.g. careers fair, talking to an optometrist. If you haven't done any work experience then you can still show you're passionate through any articles/books/magazines/documentaries you've read or seen. If you haven't then there's still loads of time to do so

You can also talk about volunteering, hobbies, extra curriculars, Duke of Edinburgh award/NCS and try to link the skills you learned from it to Optometry e.g. teamwork, people skills.

As for the interviews, it was more of a friendly, informal conversation so you have nothing to worry about! They just asked simple questions like 'Why Aston?' 'Why optom?' 'What are your hobbies?' But some unis may be more difficult e.g. Manchester had a scenario question. If you want to prepare then you could write out your answers beforehand to the questions I mentioned. Also something I wish I did is to go through your personal statement and write down any questions they could ask you about it and make sure you have a rough idea about what to say.

tysm!! x
how long was the interview at aston and manchester?
jammypop101
Rep:
?

ive looked for so many optom articles and just cant find any good ones which ones do you recommend to read so i can talk about them?
nxsha
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ive looked for so many optom articles and just cant find any good ones which ones do you recommend to read so i can talk about them?
For me the Manchester interview was probably 10-15 mins and the Aston one felt like 5 mins tbh

As for the articles, if you go on the New Scientist website and literally just type 'eye' in the search box, it comes up with loads of articles about new treatments/discoveries. You could read some of them and mention one on your PS. This would prove that you're interested in optom and like to keep up to date with new developments
jammypop101
Rep:
?
For me the Manchester interview was probably 10-15 mins and the Aston one felt like 5 mins tbh

As for the articles, if you go on the New Scientist website and literally just type 'eye' in the search box, it comes up with loads of articles about new treatments/discoveries. You could read some of them and mention one on your PS. This would prove that you're interested in optom and like to keep up to date with new developments
tysm! x
Sakiudns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

hi what predicted grades did u apply with
nxsha
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi what predicted grades did u apply with
Hi I don't really remember but I think it was AAB. After the interview they gave me an offer of ABB
sunshine34
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by nxsha)
Hi I don't really remember but I think it was AAB. After the interview they gave me an offer of ABB
Omg please tell me what interesting things you did to stand out for optometry for your PS!! Especially aston haha
What's the best way to link articles in without sounding random?
Also my predicted grades are BBB/ABB - are aston even going to consider me?
nxsha
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by sunshine34)
Omg please tell me what interesting things you did to stand out for optometry for your PS!! Especially aston haha
What's the best way to link articles in without sounding random?
Also my predicted grades are BBB/ABB - are aston even going to consider me?
Hi I did a lot of volunteering throughout high school/college and work experience (opticians and pharmacy) and like I mentioned above I had done some extra reading as I loved Biology. The way I linked in the articles was by saying something along the lines of "In my spare time, I like to broaden my knowledge of biology (or optom) beyond the A Level spec by reading articles by ........ Recently, I read about ......."

Even though Aston's requirements are slightly higher than your predicted grades, they probably know that most students aren't working at AAB when they've just started their second year at college. Ngl I have a feeling they give an interview to most people who apply lol so there's no need to worry. It's definitely less competitive than medicine/dentistry. Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions!! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.67%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (44)
14.67%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (105)
35%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.67%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.33%

Watched Threads