User6070
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m not sure whether to do psychology or social work...I am also considering speech and language therapy.

I will be applying for social work through transferring at the uni I have a place at. My only concern is that I don’t want to be a social worker, I just like the opportunities given through social work.

I’d love to go into psychology but I’m concerned about how maths based it is. Maths isn’t my strong point.

Please can someone help...
Bluebells602003
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User6070)
I’m not sure whether to do psychology or social work...I am also considering speech and language therapy.

I will be applying for social work through transferring at the uni I have a place at. My only concern is that I don’t want to be a social worker, I just like the opportunities given through social work.

I’d love to go into psychology but I’m concerned about how maths based it is. Maths isn’t my strong point.

If it helps my daughter applied for psychology (but she’s changed courses now) but she was told that you didn’t need to be good at maths as it’s more statistical and that’s why they ask for maths but it’s not that you need to be good at it. Maths wasn’t my daughters strong point and she had to sit an entrance test for one uni and got several offers but has since changed her mind about psychology.

Don’t let maths put you off psychology if that’s what you want to do.
User6070
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bluebells602003)
If it helps my daughter applied for psychology (but she’s changed courses now) but she was told that you didn’t need to be good at maths as it’s more statistical and that’s why they ask for maths but it’s not that you need to be good at it. Maths wasn’t my daughters strong point and she had to sit an entrance test for one uni and got several offers but has since changed her mind about psychology.

I haven't done maths at A-Level and I got a 5/B-C at GCSE. I don't want to do a degree that I feel out of my depth in, if that makes sense.

I wish tutors or someone from a university was around to speak to.

Thank you for your help though
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bluebells602003)

Just graduated from psychology - there is some basic math but nothing to hard it is mostly statistics and you use a computer programme called spss which works it out for you. GCSE maths b/c is fine whatever the entry requirements are.
User6070
Rep:
?
(Original post by iodo345)
Just graduated from psychology - there is some basic math but nothing to hard it is mostly statistics and you use a computer programme called spss which works it out for you. GCSE maths b/c is fine whatever the entry requirements are.
omg! please can I ask you a load of questions. I've been trying to contact a psych student for ages! I'll message you
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi User6070
I suggest chatting to some current students studying the courses your interested in and / or considering to get their experience of the courses. You can chat to current students at Lancaster Uni through our unibuddy service which can be found here : https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Hope this helps !!
Student ambassador Holly at Lancaster University
Last edited by Lancaster Student Ambassador; 1 month ago
Bluebells602003
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I haven't done maths at A-Level and I got a 5/B-C at GCSE. I don't want to do a degree that I feel out of my depth in, if that makes sense.

I wish tutors or someone from a university was around to speak to.

Thank you for your help though
I know edgehill uni would accept that for psychology.
Diddier
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you please help me by filing out my survey on subliminal messaging, I’m trying to get as much responses as I can

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...BwDrw/viewform
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
PM me if you have any questions about speech and language therapy.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Moved to the Psychology forum You can do Social Work as a masters too
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't let the maths side of things put you off Psychology! As others have said, it's very much statistics rather than pure maths and SPSS does all the caluctions for you. All you really need to know is which buttons to press and which data goes where - I hate stats but found research methods modules okay as long as you write everything down in a step-by-guide. It's the only way I ever got through it

Even if you end up picking a degree in Social Work, you can always do a conversion course in Psychology afterwards
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed