Millie8181
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do those who go to uni or are about to go to uni, do you work and if so full time or part time? Like how do u fit work around your study and what sort of work sector are you in? How do you afford to pay for accommodation (not in halls) and for the education, like what help is there if I was to go to uni at 19/20/21 ISH?

I have gcses and I started sixth form but dropped out earlier this year as I didn't get on well with it due to bad mental health and not knowing what I wanted to do. I'm think of doing an online course I think it's called an Access to higher education diploma or something like that which would then be used to get me to uni or I'd use it to get into a job another way (I'm thinking paramedic and so I'd get a student paramedic role instead of uni but I'm unsure yet).
Last edited by Millie8181; 1 month ago
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Millie8181)
Do those who go to uni or are about to go to uni, do you work and if so full time or part time? Like how do u fit work around your study and what sort of work sector are you in? How do you afford to pay for accommodation (not in halls) and for the education, like what help is there if I was to go to uni at 19/20/21 ISH?
I managed just off of my maintenance loan but i went for quite cheap accommodation
Desideri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The tuition loan pays for my education.

For rent/food/etc, I manage just with my student loan and some money from my parents (still totals to less than the full maintenance loan), and occasional casual work like open days and babysitting.

Most of my friends at uni also don’t work. Those who do generally work part time in shops or cafes.
UELStudentRep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I get a federal loan from America to pay for my tuition and I pay for private accommodation myself. I have a full-time public relations internship where I have been working Mon-Friday 9:30-5:30 since March when lockdown started. I'm a second-year media and communications student. It's been tough at times cause I still had coursework to do but I thought about it and was willing to make the sacrifice. I did coursework on the weekends and during the evenings, even an hour a day gets loads of work done. I had the support of my lecturers and work colleagues and am even going to attempt to continue to work full time throughout my final year so that I will be able to apply for junior level roles in March.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.65%
No (181)
78.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed