AriTahira
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey! So, GCSEs results come out next week, and depending on my results, it is most likely that I will study the IB come September. I was wondering if my subject courses were OK, as I want to study Computer Science at uni.

Maths AA HL
Computer Science HL
History HL

English Literature SL
French ab / French SL
Physics SL

Anything would be appreciated!
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
seems fine to me, the requirement is usually maths and computer science HL so you meet those (I think sometimes, it might be that only maths is required, but well, going into computer science course at uni without computer science in IB would be quite silly), I think it's fine!
as for SLs, they probably don't matter too much although I'd say you might be better off taking French SL instead of ab initio if you're good at it because it might kind of 'look better', doesn't matter too much though, just a suggestion!

I would think of your 3rd HL though - it is not related to the field you want to study at all, so it won't be very useful in the admission/application process or at the course itself and on top of that IB history, especially at HL, is quite demanding. of course, if it's like your favourite subject and you really want to have it as your HL, that's fine, but I know people who are planning to apply for politics/law/international relations, so courses related to history and don't enjoy IB history and find it one of their hardest/most demanding subject.
AriTahira
Rep:
?
(Original post by VanillaCream)
seems fine to me, the requirement is usually maths and computer science HL so you meet those (I think sometimes, it might be that only maths is required, but well, going into computer science course at uni without computer science in IB would be quite silly), I think it's fine!
as for SLs, they probably don't matter too much although I'd say you might be better off taking French SL instead of ab initio if you're good at it because it might kind of 'look better', doesn't matter too much though, just a suggestion!

I would think of your 3rd HL though - it is not related to the field you want to study at all, so it won't be very useful in the admission/application process or at the course itself and on top of that IB history, especially at HL, is quite demanding. of course, if it's like your favourite subject and you really want to have it as your HL, that's fine, but I know people who are planning to apply for politics/law/international relations, so courses related to history and don't enjoy IB history and find it one of their hardest/most demanding subject.
Thank you so much for this! It's really reassuring.

For French, I did it at GCSE, but I was pretty bad at it, getting a 4 in both my Year 10 and 11 mocks, mainly because the teacher I had was really bad, and taught the course all over the place, but I was determined to get better at it so I could at least do it for IB. I did start to get better at it, getting a 5 in my last assessment before school closed. But I'm not sure if I would remember everything come September, and I wasn't really confident in the subject, so I thought French ab would be better suited for me. But then went to the sixth form interview, they said that even if I got a 5, I would be alright on the SL course. So at this point, I'm just waiting for the results to come out, so I can make a clearer judgement.

So given that, what is the language (A2) course at ab and SL like in general? I'm kind of scared that I'll choose French SL and fall behind come September.
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AriTahira)
Thank you so much for this! It's really reassuring.

For French, I did it at GCSE, but I was pretty bad at it, getting a 4 in both my Year 10 and 11 mocks, mainly because the teacher I had was really bad, and taught the course all over the place, but I was determined to get better at it so I could at least do it for IB. I did start to get better at it, getting a 5 in my last assessment before school closed. But I'm not sure if I would remember everything come September, and I wasn't really confident in the subject, so I thought French ab would be better suited for me. But then went to the sixth form interview, they said that even if I got a 5, I would be alright on the SL course. So at this point, I'm just waiting for the results to come out, so I can make a clearer judgement.

So given that, what is the language (A2) course at ab and SL like in general? I'm kind of scared that I'll choose French SL and fall behind come September.
oh I see, I would say then you could go for French ab, to have at least one easier subject.
I'm doing language HL, so I'm not entirely sure but from what our teachers said when we were choosing subjects, ab initio is starting from scratch (you can literally know nothing about the language and be fine) and SL is around B1-B2. so I think if you don't have at least a high B1 (it's sometimes hard to say if you don't have any certificates, so let's say you're not able to communicate easily and understand a lot), I would go for ab initio. at languages B (doesn't matter if it's HL or SL, skills are the same, the level is just different), you are required to be able to operate the language to read texts for reading comprehension, write responses (I think for SL it's 250-400 words or something like that), basically you should be able to talk/read/write on various topics easily.

when I think of your subjects once again, it might be wiser to take ab initio actually, even if you're allowed to take SL to have at least one quite easy subject not to put a lot of work into it, I already said that history is quite demanding as well as maths and physics (even though SL), I think computer science is maybe not demanding but time-consuming, literature is... well, it's literature, with books and analysing poems, so not that easy as well

so, kind of contrary to what I said before but this time 100% certain, ab initio makes more sense in your case
AriTahira
Rep:
?
(Original post by VanillaCream)
oh I see, I would say then you could go for French ab, to have at least one easier subject.
I'm doing language HL, so I'm not entirely sure but from what our teachers said when we were choosing subjects, ab initio is starting from scratch (you can literally know nothing about the language and be fine) and SL is around B1-B2. so I think if you don't have at least a high B1 (it's sometimes hard to say if you don't have any certificates, so let's say you're not able to communicate easily and understand a lot), I would go for ab initio. at languages B (doesn't matter if it's HL or SL, skills are the same, the level is just different), you are required to be able to operate the language to read texts for reading comprehension, write responses (I think for SL it's 250-400 words or something like that), basically you should be able to talk/read/write on various topics easily.

when I think of your subjects once again, it might be wiser to take ab initio actually, even if you're allowed to take SL to have at least one quite easy subject not to put a lot of work into it, I already said that history is quite demanding as well as maths and physics (even though SL), I think computer science is maybe not demanding but time-consuming, literature is... well, it's literature, with books and analysing poems, so not that easy as well

so, kind of contrary to what I said before but this time 100% certain, ab initio makes more sense in your case
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.03%
No (199)
78.97%

Watched Threads