The Student Room Group

Mlat 2021

Welcome! :cute:

Seeing as the last thread for fellow MLAT takers is now outdated, I thought I'd make a new one for any Modern Languages applicants entering uni in 2021. Feel free to join the convo and share your experiences and tips!

Please comment your course and your college of choice! I'm applying for French and Linguistics, and am currently set on LMH. :woo:

Good luck everyone!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya! This thread is such a good idea! Is it just for Early Apps, or MFL applicants in general? Either way, I'm hoping to apply for French and Beginners' German this autumn. I'm still haven't decided on a college, but I'm really drawn to New at the moment. :smile:
Reply 2
What are you guys doing to prepare for the MLATs?
I'm applying for English and French. Worst thing is that where I live, all the book shops are closed :///// any online resources you are using?
Hi, I'm applying for linguistics and spanish. I've basically just been doing past papers and going over grammar. Any other tips?
Reply 4
Original post by analisacarrozzo
Hi, I'm applying for linguistics and spanish. I've basically just been doing past papers and going over grammar. Any other tips?

Yeah I’m basically doing that as well and going over vocab. What sort of scores are you guys getting at the moment?
Does anyone know what scores are ideal to be getting?

Differs from language to language.

Find the averages for 2019 here: https://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/inline-files/Modern%20Languages%20Faculty%20Feedback%202019.pdf

Remember you can actually do quite poorly on the MLAT and still get in.
Reply 7

I took my first one the other week and got 75% if that helps?
Reply 8
https://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/inline-files/Modern%20Languages%20Faculty%20Feedback%202019.pdf
this link has the average scores on the MLAT from 2019 - keep in mind that 2019 was (supposedly) unusually difficult in some papers.
i think a good tip would be to mark yourself harshly - that's what my teacher has been doing with me.
Original post by Culver

Welcome! :cute:

Seeing as the last thread for fellow MLAT takers is now outdated, I thought I'd make a new one for any Modern Languages applicants entering uni in 2021. Feel free to join the convo and share your experiences and tips!

Please comment your course and your college of choice! I'm applying for French and Linguistics, and am currently set on LMH. :woo:

Good luck everyone!

Did you end up going ahead? I’m also applying for French and Linguistics at LMH!
Reply 10
Original post by Polkadotkittycat
Did you end up going ahead? I’m also applying for French and Linguistics at LMH!

Yep! I’m now applying to Oriel instead though. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Culver
Yep! I’m now applying to Oriel instead though. Good luck :smile:

Good luck to you too! :smile:
Hi there guys, I'd honestly try not to focus on scores and what they mean and just prepare as best as you can in other ways. Making sure you know the grammar, your personal statement and practising for the interview are far more productive ways of using your time than trying to analyse your chances imho. I'm sure you're all doing fab, but the important thing is not to over-analyse yourself - you're only making it difficult for yourself!
Hey everyone lol I applied for French and Spanish at Christchurch! How's MLAT prep going. The exam is soon now eek
What kind of percentage are we aiming for?? I know the tests are designed to be difficult but it is disheartening if I'm getting lower scores... I don't really understand the system that's already been posted in the thread !!
Reply 15
Original post by lilacpyramid
What kind of percentage are we aiming for?? I know the tests are designed to be difficult but it is disheartening if I'm getting lower scores... I don't really understand the system that's already been posted in the thread !!

I heard @Oxford Mum say anything over 50% will get you an interview, but unsure if there is data to support this? Maybe she can help us here as her son studied modern languages...
Original post by Culver
I heard @Oxford Mum say anything over 50% will get you an interview, but unsure if there is data to support this? Maybe she can help us here as her son studied modern languages...

Yes, that is correct. He got that from his teachers at the time. And I think it was @Espançais who said that over 90% of applicants get an interview - is that right?

Anyway, modern languages (especially German) are some of the easier subjects statistically to get into Oxford for. My son only got 3 x A*s at GCSE, as opposed to his brother (medicine) who had to get over 10. It's how good you are at grammar and literature that really counts.
Reply 17
Original post by Oxford Mum
Yes, that is correct. He got that from his teachers at the time. And I think it was @Espançais who said that over 90% of applicants get an interview - is that right?

Anyway, modern languages (especially German) are some of the easier subjects statistically to get into Oxford for. My son only got 3 x A*s at GCSE, as opposed to his brother (medicine) who had to get over 10. It's how good you are at grammar and literature that really counts.

Thanks Oxford Mum, always here to save the day! I believe the admissions statistics on the website say that the interview rate is around 90% for modern languages, give or take 5% depending on your course combination. Was just wondering about the only needing to get 50% in the MLAT to take some of the anxiety off our shoulders haha!
Original post by Culver
Thanks Oxford Mum, always here to save the day! I believe the admissions statistics on the website say that the interview rate is around 90% for modern languages, give or take 5% depending on your course combination. Was just wondering about the only needing to get 50% in the MLAT to take some of the anxiety off our shoulders haha!

omd i thought this was true but i've been looking at average scores and what not and the french ones are so high!! it was something like mid/high 70s all the way up to 80s!!
Original post by tiapatel30
omd i thought this was true but i've been looking at average scores and what not and the french ones are so high!! it was something like mid/high 70s all the way up to 80s!!

Really? How good is your French Grammar? because that is what the MLAT is really a test of! Keep looking at the grammar and keep reading stuff in French, whether it is articles or French literature, that way French will come more naturally to you. Also the vocab is quite basic, but not the type of holiday/hobbies stuff you get at GCSE/A level. My son, for example, got a sentence about putting a saucepan in a cupboard (sounds easy but this tests several grammar points in German. Plus you will not have come across saucepan or cupboard in your GCSE vocab. What I do recommend is getting Usborne first 1000 words in French, which will have a double page spread on the kitchen. I'll bet my breakfast that "saucepan" and "cupboard" will both appear on those pages.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Thousand-Words-French-Usborne/dp/1409566110/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LUNPC2VIXKP0&dchild=1&keywords=usborne+first+thousand+words+in+french&qid=1603259489&sprefix=Usborne+first+th%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1

It's only £6.55. What do you have to lose by buying that??

Quick Reply

Latest