The Student Room Group

Mlat 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mateamt
Hi! I found the French part ok but for the OLAT i really really struggled too!!!!

I found the OLAT really hard as well!
Original post by blondeocean
I thought the French went really well but the Spanish was so hard!!

Yes exactly my experience but it's very reassuring people found it similar! xx
Original post by mateamt
Hi! I found the French part ok but for the OLAT i really really struggled too!!!!

from what I'm hearing on here, lots of people found the OLAT really hard - me included:s-smilie:
Original post by blondeocean
I thought the French went really well but the Spanish was so hard!!

I did German and Spanish, and the German was fine I think, although I'm never too sure, but you're right the Spanish was super hard!! That translation sentence about going to the convention and something along the lines of 'haberme inscrito'...my translation made absolutely no sense whatsoever, I was so confused
yeah i did the french and found it very nice! not sure whether its reassuring or not that every feels the same as i feel the average will be high lol
Did anyone on here do the LAT (for beginner's language courses)?
Original post by elizamunday02
I did German and Spanish, and the German was fine I think, although I'm never too sure, but you're right the Spanish was super hard!! That translation sentence about going to the convention and something along the lines of 'haberme inscrito'...my translation made absolutely no sense whatsoever, I was so confused

yeah i put having signed up but i've got no clue and the first section and the into spanish were both so hard for me
Original post by tiapatel30
yeah i put having signed up but i've got no clue and the first section and the into spanish were both so hard for me

lol my brain kept rereading it as 'escrito' so yours is way more accurate; and yeah the first section was harddd, and also putting the verb into the correct tense... but it's supposed to be hard right so...
Original post by pebble876
Did anyone on here do the LAT (for beginner's language courses)?

Yes, I did. I found it really time pressured (didn't get on to the last set of questions) but to be honest I was expecting that, and I was reasonably confident of what I'd worked out from the first two sets of sentences... How about you?
Original post by johnspence2002
Yes, I did. I found it really time pressured (didn't get on to the last set of questions) but to be honest I was expecting that, and I was reasonably confident of what I'd worked out from the first two sets of sentences... How about you?

Okay so time was clearly an issue. Like you, I didn't get onto the final set of questions (other than guessing the first one from a 10 second glance), and I am confident about the others but in some of the past papers I was able to finish so I think I filled myself with false hope prior to the exam.
lol my brain kept rereading it as 'escrito' so yours is way more accurate; and yeah the first section was harddd, and also putting the verb into the correct tense... but it's supposed to be hard right so...

yeah exactly i am not too stressed cus they wouldn't make a test if it wasn't hard this is oxford after all! anyways it's all over now which is a big relief
Original post by pebble876
How did everyone find it?
I found the German section rather straightforward as it used many similar structures as previous years. The LAT was really difficult I totally flopped! :s-smilie:

This is why I like the MLAT. It has a kind of reliable pattern to it.
Original post by Polkadotkittycat
French was mostly good. Some small things (I.E. not knowing “witnesses”) but I’m quite happy overall!
Very happy they removed the Linguistics exam though, I did not want to be in there for longer than that half hour haha

This is the way they like to test you at Oxford, with unfamiliar vocab. When I did languages A levels (way back in the 80s) you were expected to know random words like that. In fact, to practice for the Oxford entrance exam back then, the set book, Whitmarsh, used to give us passages from Dickens in English and ask students to translate them into French!

Modern A levels tend to just focus on certain topics so in your studies you will not have come across this word. This is why I encourage people here on TSR to read literature and online newspapers in the target language
Original post by Culver
The French wasn’t bad at all for me! I know I definitely made a couple of mistakes on certain questions, mostly not knowing vocab, but I managed to replace it with other words similar to it and when I looked them up after the exam I felt like I might get the marks for it? Super nervous, and just hoping I get an interview! Glad you all found it ok too xx

Everyone makes a few mistakes on the MLAT. As long as it is not a lot of mistakes and it seems you used your initiative when you did not know the words. Hope this approach will lead to an interview. Fingers crossed for an interview.
Yes exactly my experience but it's very reassuring people found it similar! xx

Everyone will have found it hard, don't worry! I am glad people on this thread can talk about it and give each other support. You are never alone on TSR!
Original post by sadieallen
yeah i did the french and found it very nice! not sure whether its reassuring or not that every feels the same as i feel the average will be high lol

I have heard that over 90% of languages applicants get interviews, so don't worry too much.
yeah exactly i am not too stressed cus they wouldn't make a test if it wasn't hard this is oxford after all! anyways it's all over now which is a big relief

At least the wait for interview invites is not too long

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ON TSR! Let us know, everyone, if you get interviews!
Original post by johnnyd1234
Do you know if it was 'Röcke gefällt dir' or 'Röcke findest du' for the fill in the gaps answer?

I'm sorry but I don't even remember that being a question? Do you mean on section one?
Original post by johnnyd1234
Do you know if it was 'Röcke gefällt dir' or 'Röcke findest du' for the fill in the gaps answer?

I vaguely remember this but I really can't remember the context? which part did we have to change?

Yes, the Spanish was sooo bad. I'm in the US and had to fly for 12 hours to the test location and then we had elections last night, so I woke up and literally could not think straight.

For me the first two sections were not fun at all, but the translation into and out of Spanish wasn't awful. I'm pretty sure I goofed and wrote "nosotros todos admiran" instead of "nosotros todos admiramos" because my brain was on todos instead of nosotros though :-/ RIP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending