The Student Room Group

Mlat 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by linguaphilia
Yes, the Spanish was sooo bad. I'm in the US and had to fly for 12 hours to the test location and then we had elections last night, so I woke up and literally could not think straight.

For me the first two sections were not fun at all, but the translation into and out of Spanish wasn't awful. I'm pretty sure I goofed and wrote "nosotros todos admiran" instead of "nosotros todos admiramos" because my brain was on todos instead of nosotros though :-/ RIP

oh wowww that's crazy 12 hours!! I hope you get in! Yeah I struggled with exactly the same sections, so it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one. That's really not a big mistake though, and there's so many marks per sentence so... Good luck!
Original post by pebble876
I'm sorry but I don't even remember that being a question? Do you mean on section one?

The last question on Section A, did it say 'gefällt dir' or 'findest du'
Original post by elizamunday02
I vaguely remember this but I really can't remember the context? which part did we have to change?

The last question on Section A, did it say 'gefällt dir' or 'findest du'
I did German and Spanish, and the German was fine I think, although I'm never too sure, but you're right the Spanish was super hard!! That translation sentence about going to the convention and something along the lines of 'haberme inscrito'...my translation made absolutely no sense whatsoever, I was so confused

I’m a bit late to this, but I did the Spanish too and honestly I found it really hard. What’s probably not great is that I can’t even remember the sentence you’re referring to! Oh well, I’m very relieved it’s over now.
anyone else only just sending off their written submissions today or just me?
Reply 105
anyone else only just sending off their written submissions today or just me?

Yep, I’m sending mine off today!
Original post by Culver
Yep, I’m sending mine off today!

im still waiting for one of my teachers to sign the cover form help
im still waiting for one of my teachers to sign the cover form help

I haven’t sent mine in yet.... i can still send it in tomorrow, right? Help!
Reply 108
Original post by fuddyduddy
I haven’t sent mine in yet.... i can still send it in tomorrow, right? Help!

Yep, you’ve got until 6pm tomorrow (or it’s 6pm for my college anyway, not sure if it varies between colleges?) Good luck! x
Do we know when languages interviews tend to come out?? European/Middle Eastern Languages interviews are due to start 2 weeks today but last years spread sheets say not until beginning of December.....
Reply 110
Original post by lilacpyramid
Do we know when languages interviews tend to come out?? European/Middle Eastern Languages interviews are due to start 2 weeks today but last years spread sheets say not until beginning of December.....

Honestly no idea! Although I know last year interviews took place a fair bit later in December than when they’re planned for this year. I’m hoping we’ll here this week
Original post by Culver
Honestly no idea! Although I know last year interviews took place a fair bit later in December than when they’re planned for this year. I’m hoping we’ll here this week

Original post by lilacpyramid

I spoke to a tutor from Oxford today; I was told the shortlisting / reallocating of applicants is being finished by the end of this week so we will hear next week or very early the week after
@Culver @pebble876 thank you so much !!
how are people preparing for interviews??
Original post by yourpal123
how are people preparing for interviews??

I annotated my personal statement with questions that could come from it and I intend on prepping answers for those; rereading texts mentioned; practise analysing unseen pieces by finding poems in English/target language and annotating those with ideas; coming up with answers to basic interview questions like "why do you want to study here". That's all I can think of and I haven't done anything yet hahaha
I annotated my personal statement with questions that could come from it and I intend on prepping answers for those; rereading texts mentioned; practise analysing unseen pieces by finding poems in English/target language and annotating those with ideas; coming up with answers to basic interview questions like "why do you want to study here". That's all I can think of and I haven't done anything yet hahaha

Yep same! My interviews are on Monday and Tuesday so time is going fast helpp haha
Also has anyone heard anything about the format of the interviews? I was under the impression that it was most likely to be around 20 minutes long with possible pre-reading beforehand. But both my invites say 45 minutes and there's no indication of pre-reading...
Yep same! My interviews are on Monday and Tuesday so time is going fast helpp haha
Also has anyone heard anything about the format of the interviews? I was under the impression that it was most likely to be around 20 minutes long with possible pre-reading beforehand. But both my invites say 45 minutes and there's no indication of pre-reading...

There is definitely no pre-reading, although there will probably be an unseen text in the interview (I went to an interview workshop and that's what I was told by a tutor from Oxford) I don't know about the times: my invites don't have durations but it could be a maximum of 45 minutes so that's the time slot you have, perhaps?
There is definitely no pre-reading, although there will probably be an unseen text in the interview (I went to an interview workshop and that's what I was told by a tutor from Oxford) I don't know about the times: my invites don't have durations but it could be a maximum of 45 minutes so that's the time slot you have, perhaps?

so by an unseen text...do you think I'll get any time to look at it, or will it be straight into analysis and just taking it apart as I go based on their questions?
also do you have any advice/info that you learned from the interview workshops that you really didn't know about before. I didn't find out about the workshops till it was too late, which was super annoying haha.
Thank you so much for your help, and good luck with your interviews!
so by an unseen text...do you think I'll get any time to look at it, or will it be straight into analysis and just taking it apart as I go based on their questions?
also do you have any advice/info that you learned from the interview workshops that you really didn't know about before. I didn't find out about the workshops till it was too late, which was super annoying haha.
Thank you so much for your help, and good luck with your interviews!

There is a high chance you will be told to read the text aloud (esp. if in the target language because pronunciation and intonation) and you will be given a minute or two to analyse it but I think the interviewer really wants to see your thought process, so if you think aloud and change your mind and show your whole thought process it will look better than being silent for five minutes and then coming out with a perfect response. So it'll be almost a guided discussion with you speaking and them interrupting with points to add.
I'll be honest, I didn't find the workshop all that helpful- there wasn't even a chance to practise speaking with people. Read the info on Oxford's website as it does sum up everything, I think.
Thanks, and of course good luck with yours!
Is anyone else applying for a beginners' language at Oxford? I'd love to hear from someone applying to Beginners' Russian as I have three interviews and I'm quite confused!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending