Gobs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello friendsI want to become a commercial Ad film maker. Which is the best course and which uni is good. Plz advise
Thanks in advance
Gobs
Last edited by Gobs; 2 months ago
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Gobs)
Hello friendsI want to become a commercial Ad film maker. Which is the best course and which uni is good. Plz advise
Thanks in advance
Gobs
Hi!

I have limited knowledge on advert film degrees, but from talking to a Lancaster University alumni a couple months ago I learn't one path you could take is through an Advertising and Marketing degree. This alumni then went on to do a Creative Advertising MA somewhere in Cornwall, learning how to come up with ideas, direct adverts, and all about commercial visuals, graphic design and copyrighting. (She now works at Standby Productions.)
If you were to take a more advertising/ marketing focuses undergrad degree, you could also do minor modules in film studies to develop and maintain your film knowledge!

However there probably are other undergrad courses available that focus more on Creative Advertising from the beginning, if marketing doesn't interest you much and you're already certain commercial producing is the path for you!

Good luck in your search!
- Izzy, BSc Marketing Management, 1st year student at Lancaster University
Gobs
Rep:
?
Hi Izzy,I appreciate your quick response. I was looking some creative courses as u mentioned but most of the courses remains theoretical. I found a course in NFTS for commercial Directors for Jan2021 intake. Let me see my luck. Plan B:learning Film making or Film production courses will help to swtich over later stage to become a commercial director?? Plz advise if you have any idea. I was short listing some uni'sUniversity of Creative arts, FarnhamKingston university, LondonLeeds Becktit universiry.Any suggestionsThanks
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Gobs)
Hi Izzy,I appreciate your quick response. I was looking some creative courses as u mentioned but most of the courses remains theoretical. I found a course in NFTS for commercial Directors for Jan2021 intake. Let me see my luck. Plan B:learning Film making or Film production courses will help to swtich over later stage to become a commercial director?? Plz advise if you have any idea. I was short listing some uni'sUniversity of Creative arts, FarnhamKingston university, LondonLeeds Becktit universiry.Any suggestionsThanks
Hi, no problem!

Do you know anyone who is a commercial director or works in the industry? If you could talk to someone who does, I'm sure they'd be able to advise you more! If your interest is more the practical directing side of commercials, rather than the theoretical coming up with ideas part, perhaps a NFTS course would better suit you. But I can imagine that theoretical courses are often more benefiting, in the sense that you can often self-teach practical skills easier than learning theory (of advertising). On the other hand, I don't know how much a commercial director is involved in the ideas and planning processes of adverts, whether their role is more to just create the ideas given to them by a commercial producer who is based in the marketing department.
Unfortunately I don't know much about what other universities offer, sorry I'm not able to help more!
Perhaps if a university offers a joint honors degree of film production and advertising/ marketing communications, that would be perfect for both practical and theoretical skills!

- Izzy, 1st year BSc Marketing Management at Lancaster University
Gobs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi, no problem!

Do you know anyone who is a commercial director or works in the industry? If you could talk to someone who does, I'm sure they'd be able to advise you more! If your interest is more the practical directing side of commercials, rather than the theoretical coming up with ideas part, perhaps a NFTS course would better suit you. But I can imagine that theoretical courses are often more benefiting, in the sense that you can often self-teach practical skills easier than learning theory (of advertising). On the other hand, I don't know how much a commercial director is involved in the ideas and planning processes of adverts, whether their role is more to just create the ideas given to them by a commercial producer who is based in the marketing department.
Unfortunately I don't know much about what other universities offer, sorry I'm not able to help more!
Perhaps if a university offers a joint honors degree of film production and advertising/ marketing communications, that would be perfect for both practical and theoretical skills!

- Izzy, 1st year BSc Marketing Management at Lancaster University
Thanks again for your inputs. I am not connected to anyone in the industry. Let me check
SAE Institute Staff
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gobs)
Thanks in advance
Gobs
Hi Gobs! Commercial advertisement is a great industry to work in, with the potential to make lots of money.

SAE offers 2-year degrees in Digital Film Production, which includes elective modules on promotional filmmaking, as well as modules on marketing, business, planning and law.

SAE graduate Craig Dorrall has travelled the world, working with major brands including Chevrolet and Manchester United and run his own national film production franchise: https://www.sae.edu/gbr/take-five-fi...-craig-dorrall

SAE Oxford alumnus Stefan Louca is a camera operator who works alongside one of our Audio graduates, Mark Levien, and they have filmed together all over the world in locations such as Iceland, Mexico, Cyprus and Turkey for clients such as British Airways and Tui. Check out his Insta: https://www.instagram.com/steflouca/?hl=en

Ncik Brown and Shayo Three studied at SAE London and launched their own company, The Rosegold Group. Shayo is a musician/director/editor who has worked with Skepta, Davido and Dappy, producing a number of documentaries including one on Boko Haram which premiered at the BFI. Nick is a camera operator/editor who has worked with artists such as Jammer and Riton, and brands such as Lexus. You can learn more about a masterclass they gave to SAE students here: https://www.sae.edu/gbr/finding-your...rosegold-group

What are you main motivations for wanting to work in the creative advertising world?

Beth Kirkbride
Marketing and Comms Officer - SAE Institute
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.75%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (304)
29.89%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (493)
48.48%

Watched Threads