Are peoples attitudes just wrong?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
what I don't get is why its ok for everyone to say 'well nobody works hard in mock exams' etc etc

....why WOULDN'T someone work hard for their mock exams? education in this country is a dream to so many around the world. its a privilege to be able to access education so why do we tell our young people its ok to not take responsibility over or work hard for test scores or learning progression for 4.5 years. maybe thats why so many year 11 and a level students have stress related mental health issues because they've not been lightly introduced to the world os taking responsibility over your own life.

see a lot across sm of older people criticising younger people for not growing up as fast etc etc but isn't that all down to older generations projecting its ok to not care about education for the most part?

we're so behind in comparison to so many other countries around the world in our relationship and attitude to learning and education and I think its setting us up to fail as a society.

how many people get degrees but then can't present or speak in front of other people? etc
Anonymous #1
people don't like being told their normal is a privilege, and im not saying 'oh we should eat all the food on our plate because others are starving' but seriously????

'I was no good at maths, look where I am now'
'I got all rubbish marks at GCSE don't worry I run my own business'
'don't worry about alevels uni is overpriced and worthless anyway'

like??????????? stop downgrading the importance of education!!!!!
Strange5050
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
people don't like being told their normal is a privilege, and im not saying 'oh we should eat all the food on our plate because others are starving' but seriously????

'I was no good at maths, look where I am now'
'I got all rubbish marks at GCSE don't worry I run my own business'
'don't worry about alevels uni is overpriced and worthless anyway'

like??????????? stop downgrading the importance of education!!!!!
These are 1st world problems. Yes, there are many kids in many countries around the globe who dream of education, let alone to the standard we have it. But we live in a fundamentally different society to many of these nations. We are lucky that our society has given fourth a plethora of opportunities that don’t rely on grades and academic education alone. For us, we have different problems in education, and have far more opportunities in society. Compare what we have to one of the nations in question, we are better off in many ways.

Education for us is so normal, that we don’t not value it to the same extent kids in rural Africa do. Our societies are different, we are lucky we have the level of resource of opportunities we have.
Last edited by Strange5050; 1 month ago
Clubcard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbf I would have been fine it I were still an A-level student this year. I did well enough in my mocks to get me an A*AA prediction, which was also my final A-level result set (albeit with the A* in a different subject). We were always taught to take mocks seriously.
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what I don't get is why its ok for everyone to say 'well nobody works hard in mock exams' etc etc

....why WOULDN'T someone work hard for their mock exams? education in this country is a dream to so many around the world. its a privilege to be able to access education so why do we tell our young people its ok to not take responsibility over or work hard for test scores or learning progression for 4.5 years. maybe thats why so many year 11 and a level students have stress related mental health issues because they've not been lightly introduced to the world os taking responsibility over your own life.

see a lot across sm of older people criticising younger people for not growing up as fast etc etc but isn't that all down to older generations projecting its ok to not care about education for the most part?

we're so behind in comparison to so many other countries around the world in our relationship and attitude to learning and education and I think its setting us up to fail as a society.

how many people get degrees but then can't present or speak in front of other people? etc
I didn't work hard for my mocks due to my mental health issues
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Purplemonkeys)
I didn't work hard for my mocks due to my mental health issues
That’s a totally different thing though because presumably this would block you to a similar degree when it came to real exams.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Clubcard)
Tbf I would have been fine it I were still an A-level student this year. I did well enough in my mocks to get me an A*AA prediction, which was also my final A-level result set (albeit with the A* in a different subject). We were always taught to take mocks seriously.
I’m the same, I never took anything for granted but I think this is also because I knew someone who got into an accident and then couldn’t sit their alevrls so it went to mock predictions.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Strange5050)
These are 1st world problems. Yes, there are many kids in many countries around the globe who dream of education, let alone to the standard we have it. But we live in a fundamentally different society to many of these nations. We are lucky that our society has given fourth a plethora of opportunities that don’t rely on grades and academic education alone. For us, we have different problems in education, and have far more opportunities in society. Compare what we have to one of the nations in question, we are better off in many ways.

Education for us is so normal, that we don’t not value it to the same extent kids in rural Africa do. Our societies are different, we are lucky we have the level of resource of opportunities we have.
I never thought about it from the perspective that there’s lots of opportunities regardless of qualifications anyway. Do you think this impacts people to not want to work as hard?
ry7xsfa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I get what you're saying, but there's many reasons beyond "I didn't try in my mocks" that using mock grades isn't fair or useful.

1. Some students perform a lot better in actual exams than mocks because of the pressure that comes with them. It sounds counterintuitive, but some people perform better under pressure and that pressure is difficult to recreate if you know it's just a mock exam

2. Not all schools do the same papers for mocks

3. Some schools mark mocks more harshly than the actual exams because teachers "want you to get into a habit of writing a perfect answer, even if you can get away with something slightly imperfect in the exam".

4. Some schools are generous with their mock marking and some even aren't strict on cheating in mocks because "it's not the real thing"

5. In most cases, you haven't learned all of the A-Level content before taking mocks, so your grade will naturally be lower on mocks if your school makes you sit a full exam series including content you haven't covered before.
Clubcard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I never thought about it from the perspective that there’s lots of opportunities regardless of qualifications anyway. Do you think this impacts people to not want to work as hard?
You still need to work hard to do well regardless of which route you go down. Some people don't work hard because what they are learning or how they are learning doesn't suit their strenghts. Other people don't work hard because they are lazy and wherever they go and whatever they do they will struggle until they change their mentality.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Clubcard)
Those are amazing grades!
The problem we're having is due to the changing climate of how we'll receive these grades - we don't have any sort of clue what was good enough as good grades seem to have even be translated incorrectly unfortunately.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
I get what you're saying, but there's many reasons beyond "I didn't try in my mocks" that using mock grades isn't fair or useful.

1. Some students perform a lot better in actual exams than mocks because of the pressure that comes with them. It sounds counterintuitive, but some people perform better under pressure and that pressure is difficult to recreate if you know it's just a mock exam

3. Some schools mark mocks more harshly than the actual exams because teachers "want you to get into a habit of writing a perfect answer, even if you can get away with something slightly imperfect in the exam".

4. Some schools are generous with their mock marking and some even aren't strict on cheating in mocks because "it's not the real thing"

5. In most cases, you haven't learned all of the A-Level content before taking mocks, so your grade will naturally be lower on mocks if your school makes you sit a full exam series including content you haven't covered before.
This!!!
Strange5050
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In some ways, I think yes. Some kids simply do not try that hard, or the ambition to go beyond GCSEs. There will be some (and I’m speaking from what I’ve personally seen), who barely scrape their GCSEs, or do very badly. From here, they’ll do several things, 1. They’ll get a low-paying job in retail (McDonalds, Next, Tesco, ect...) because their age will give them some benefit to this. 2. They’ll go to college. You may think how on Earth will they get into college flunking their GCSEs? Some colleges have very low grade requirements likely leading to a low ambition, why try for a grade 6 when the course requires at least a 3? And also because the government have made it a legal requirement to stay in education until 18, often colleges will allow students in on the conditions they resist core subjects (Math, English).

There are obviously other options as well beyond the ones I discussed above. But there are some kids who genuinely do not care as much as others, and do take our education system for granted, because of the (in some cases, low ambitious) opportunities that living in the UK grants.
carelesslion
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn’t put enough effort into my mocks, mostly because of my mental health at the time, it’s not that I didn’t care I just had to prioritise my own health. I get what you mean. I think this year should be a lesson when it comes to mocks- you never know what’s going to happen so you should really try as hard as you can.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is not whether people do or don't work hard in mocks, to me it's that the difference in learning and performance over the next six months or so in normal times varies, and mocks are not all the same.
mizzsnazzter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ry7xsfa)

This is spot on!
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Moved to the Educational Debate forum
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The parents probably never cared about education either. Their attitudes towards things like education and life come from the household.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (44)
13.46%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.07%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (119)
36.39%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
10.09%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
20.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.5%

Watched Threads