H.02
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there I am going into year 13 next year and I’m a little confused on ucas points.
My total ucas prediction points is 172 as I am predicted 3 A’s and doing an epq which counts for 24.
So basically I am looking at applying to kings college London to do accounting and finance. The entry requirements are 3 A’s which is what I am predicted. However I have looked at differnet websites and it states there’s an entry level of 180 ucas points which is more ucas points than I actually have
So my question is does it really matter what ucas points I have as long as I have the predicted grades or will I be not be accepted ?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Most universities don't use UCAS points, and the ones that do...lets just say if you are predicted 3 As you could reasonably expect an unconditional offer from those They were really designed just to allow universities to compare different qualifications (e.g. IB and A-levels) but many of the fairly well established universities already had their own comparison points they had developed internally, so they never bothered using the system. It's usually newer universities that express offers in terms of UCAS points.

Some websites and league tables will convert the average grades of those admitted to UCAS points, because that lets them include non A-level qualifications, but it doesn't make a difference; the entry criteria in this case would still be 3 As for A-levels. Some qualifications end up giving more UCAS points than others which skews the average values is all (e.g. I believe Scottish Highers/Advanced Highers and IB).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 months ago
H.02
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Most universities don't use UCAS points, and the ones that do...lets just say if you are predicted 3 As you could reasonably expect an unconditional offer from those They were really designed just to allow universities to compare different qualifications (e.g. IB and A-levels) but many of the fairly well established universities already had their own comparison points they had developed internally, so they never bothered using the system. It's usually newer universities that express offers in terms of UCAS points.

Some websites and league tables will convert the average grades of those admitted to UCAS points, because that lets them include non A-level qualifications, but it doesn't make a difference; the entry criteria in this case would still be 3 As for A-levels. Some qualifications end up giving more UCAS points than others which skews the average values is all (e.g. I believe Scottish Highers/Advanced Highers and IB).
Ahhh that makes a lot more sense thank you 🙏
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (599)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (352)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.47%

Watched Threads