Izzmia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am starting Y11 in a few weeks and (before covid) danced 14hours a week 4/7 nights. My mum (and me to an extent) is worried about the toll this will take on my GCSEs if I were to continue dancing this amount in Y11.

As someone who has already taken GCSEs, how many hours a week was a good amount to spend on extra curricular, I know I don't want a career in dance therefore would you recommend dropping my dance hours to around 6ish a week.

I genuinely have no idea how much pressure and extra work GCSEs will be so I really need some advice, for some context, when I was dancing 14hours a week I felt as though I didn't have enough time for homework and revision
CalypsoXenoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Izzmia)
I am starting Y11 in a few weeks and (before covid) danced 14hours a week 4/7 nights. My mum (and me to an extent) is worried about the toll this will take on my GCSEs if I were to continue dancing this amount in Y11.

As someone who has already taken GCSEs, how many hours a week was a good amount to spend on extra curricular, I know I don't want a career in dance therefore would you recommend dropping my dance hours to around 6ish a week.

I genuinely have no idea how much pressure and extra work GCSEs will be so I really need some advice, for some context, when I was dancing 14hours a week I felt as though I didn't have enough time for homework and revision
If you’re smart and keep up With the work and have ur revision mainly consist of past papers you will be fine . Take dance but if you’re grades start to decline then quit until you’ve done your exams
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Going down to 6 hours would probably help, since rest time is very important and you don't want to feel overwhelmed. It would probably be possible to do, but whether it would be a benefit to keep 14 hours, is something that you'll have to decide. It's not a good idea to focus revision only on any one specific technique, since variety and different study techniques help target different skills, but as long as you stay consistent, keep self-testing and revise all the way through, it could be something that you could play by ear depending on how much time you have and how much you're focusing academically at different points in the year. But if it were me, I would probably decrease hours if only to give myself some more time to rest and let my brain process info!
carxlinefxrbes_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Izzmia)

I’d say that it depends on how strong your work ethic is and how you yourself feel about it as well as how your currently doing (e.g. do you need to work a lot to get the grades you want, how many grades are you hoping to go up by etc...). Obviously if dancing is a passion of yours (even if you don’t want to pursue it further) then you shouldn’t have to drop it completely because in my belief year 11 shouldn’t be a year filled completely with constant revision and extra hobbies help with balance. In fact I’d say year 11 was probably my favourite year of school (what I had of it). From personal experience, whilst in year 11, I had a part time job and went kickboxing which probably took up 7ish hours a week altogether (roughly) and it didn’t really effect me that much.

(If I am being VERY honest here though I did cram a little bit for some of my mocks but it would be a couple days before an exam not the day before and I don’t think this was completely down to my job or past times really at all). My advice would be to continue dancing but maybe reduce the hours you do it due to you stating that you felt as though you didn’t have enough time for hw etc... in year 10. You could start with reduced hours and see how you feel as you go throughout the year then increase/decrease depending on that. Also, I don’t know if you’ll be able to do this with dance but I was going to do this for work: you could maybe reduce dance down by a lot in hours (I’m talking like maybe 2/3 hours a week max {less may be better it depends on how you feel it could even be just 1/2} during the actual exam season because I would say don’t completely cancel it there it there otherwise you’ll just get stressed out) [Once again this does depend on how you’re feeling].

Year 11 shouldn’t be a year that you dislike although I do admit one thing I regret was not revising in little bits throughout the year so my notes were ready for mocks etc.. because I actually didn’t end up finishing my GCSE notes. Little and often is probably the best approach balance wise however crammed revision did seem to be alright for me in the short term [this is DEFINITELY not for most people though I’d recommend not cramming knowledge as it is quite stressful]. I say short term because each time I’d have an exam I’d have to memorise the knowledge all over again as it was not in my long term memory. Please remember to take care of yourself though because at the end of the day your well-being means so much more than your grades.

Hope this helps a little!
Last edited by carxlinefxrbes_; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads