The Student Room Group

How can I improve?

I’m predicted BBB for my a-levels, I’m in year 12 and I really want to go on to do law at a university in London, much of them requiring AAA and more as entry requirements. How can I improve so drastically? Please give me study tips for English Literature, History and Media Studies please!
I didn’t do any of those subjects so I’m afraid I can’t offer revision tips, but going from BBB now to AAA in summer is not drastic. It’s very very possible. Hopefully people can give you some revision tips later on in the day but I went from getting U’s at the start of year 13 for chemistry and then getting consistent B’s in April-May time when doing remote learning. And I pulled off the same thing for maths too so if I can go up 4 grades in 8-9 months, you can definitely go up by 1 in 10!
Original post by EstelleA
I’m predicted BBB for my a-levels, I’m in year 12 and I really want to go on to do law at a university in London, much of them requiring AAA and more as entry requirements. How can I improve so drastically? Please give me study tips for English Literature, History and Media Studies please!

Apologies for the questioning... :colondollar:

How are you currently studying? Do you think your study is effective or is it the case that you don't understand the material?

I think distinguishing between the two is probably important to understand what you need to work on :h:
(edited 3 years ago)
It all comes down to effort. BBB is still a super good score to have, so being at that level shows you’re intelligent. I’d say do all you can to show you are committed, such as signing up for additional classes if they’re available, going above and beyond for homework and revising harder for exams. It’s possible if you push yourself! Best of luck.
Reply 4
Original post by brainzistheword
Apologies for the questioning... :colondollar:

How are you currently studying? Do you think your study is effective or is it the case that you don't understand the material?

I think distinguishing between the two is probably important to understand what you need to work on :h:

I just make a lot of notes, a lot of flashcards to remember quotes and stuff but I don’t know what to do for my subjects and my teachers aren’t a big help either! I don’t think this way of studying is helping me to really push myself and I know that the different subjects I’m taking require different studying methods :/
Reply 5
Original post by carelesslion
It all comes down to effort. BBB is still a super good score to have, so being at that level shows you’re intelligent. I’d say do all you can to show you are committed, such as signing up for additional classes if they’re available, going above and beyond for homework and revising harder for exams. It’s possible if you push yourself! Best of luck.

Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous17!
I didn’t do any of those subjects so I’m afraid I can’t offer revision tips, but going from BBB now to AAA in summer is not drastic. It’s very very possible. Hopefully people can give you some revision tips later on in the day but I went from getting U’s at the start of year 13 for chemistry and then getting consistent B’s in April-May time when doing remote learning. And I pulled off the same thing for maths too so if I can go up 4 grades in 8-9 months, you can definitely go up by 1 in 10!

Thank you!!
I just make a lot of notes, a lot of flashcards to remember quotes and stuff but I don’t know what to do for my subjects and my teachers aren’t a big help either! I don’t think this way of studying is helping me to really push myself and I know that the different subjects I’m taking require different studying methods :/

Subjects like English and History will require practice and an evaluation of current vs desired writing styles, techniques, etc. to continually improve. Is there anyone who could read through your work and offer an opinion on your writing style from time to time?
Reply 7
Subjects like English and History will require practice and an evaluation of current vs desired writing styles, techniques, etc. to continually improve. Is there anyone who could read through your work and offer an opinion on your writing style from time to time?

I could ask my teachers for me, but I’m a good writer already I just don’t know what to do as practise
I could ask my teachers for me, but I’m a good writer already I just don’t know what to do as practise

Past papers are always a good start! If there's a theme to the type of questions you get asked, maybe try to base it off that. For example, if a question ask how a character is presented in a novel, take the same question but alter the character you answer it for. (That's probably a poor example but hopefully gives you an idea).
Reply 9
Past papers are always a good start! If there's a theme to the type of questions you get asked, maybe try to base it off that. For example, if a question ask how a character is presented in a novel, take the same question but alter the character you answer it for. (That's probably a poor example but hopefully gives you an idea).

Okay I’ll try that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending