jdplvy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm thinking of applying to study anthropology at Brookes but I'm having some doubts. There seems to be a very negative buzz around the place judging from a lot of reviews and posts I've read in various places.

https://www.studentcrowd.com/univers...oxford#booking

I'm wondering if there are any Brookes anthropology students on here who can give an opinion on the quality of the course?

Thanks.
Last edited by jdplvy; 1 month ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jdplvy)
Hi,

I'm thinking of applying to study anthropology at Brookes but I'm having some doubts. There seems to be a very negative buzz around the place judging from a lot of reviews and posts I've read in various places.

I'm wondering if there are any Brookes anthropology students on here who can give an opinion on the quality of the course?

Thanks.
I'm not an anthropologist but I can say there' no need to worry about a university's reputation in general.

What sort of jobs are you interested in after your degree?
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

https://www.studentcrowd.com/univers...oxford#booking

Thanks.
Hello jdplvy,

Hope you are doing well. We are glad to hear you are considering Oxford Brookes University.

I am law student at Brookes and I will be going into my final year of study this year. I have personally had a positive experience at the University, the atmosphere is welcoming and I really enjoy my course. The modules offered by the University are what I looked at before joining and I have enjoyed them a lot, I also had the chance to select modules that I am interested in. I would recommend taking a close look at what the Anthropology course includes, which you can do so on the following web page: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/un.../anthropology/

If you would like to speak to other students who attend Brookes and find out their experiences you can do so at the following link; by chatting to a Student Ambassador: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-a...nt-ambassador/

I hope this will be able to help you somewhat in making your decision. If you would like me to elaborate further on anything I have mentioned, or if you have any questions about the University or Student Life, then please do feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to help.

All the best,

Shaf
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Got into my first choice of Bristol instead!!! Thankfully.. Oxford Brookes sounds like a horrible place.
it’s actually a lovely uni! obviously it’s not for everyone and each person is different. glad you got into somewhere you’ll enjoy
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Got into my first choice of Bristol instead!!! Thankfully.. Oxford Brookes sounds like a horrible place.
Congratulations! But you can't now say that you go to Oxford ..
jdplvy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
it’s actually a lovely uni! obviously it’s not for everyone and each person is different. glad you got into somewhere you’ll enjoy
Well you're the first person I've encountered besides this official Oxford Brookes account that thinks that.
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well you're the first person I've encountered besides this official Oxford Brookes account that thinks that.
As I said, everyone is different. It’s a great uni for some people, and not a good choice for others
jdplvy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Congratulations! But you can't now say that you go to Oxford ..
Yeah I can't now tippex out the 'Brookes' on the certificate.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I suspect that's because you joined the site 7 days ago.

I'm glad your query has now been answered. :yy:
Geo55
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lucky you. You're right about Brookes. Whilst obviously some departments are better than others the overall standard is poor. On top of this the administrative side of things really lets the university down. One year for some reason they didn't notify student finance that half the students were attending, resulting in ques for the student devices desk going all around the building. If you ever need advice, you'll almost certainly be misinformed by staff members that don't really seem to care. I developed the tactic of going to student central, the academic advisers and the students union, getting all the contradictory advice in writing and then going with the version that I preferred. So not so bad for me but some people I know had their programs really messed up by the wrong advice they had received. Brookes union is also extremely poor.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ational-survey
Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
books
V1ct0r
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
hmm I was about to recommend but I saw that you want to do anthropology and got into Bristol too so...Bristol obviously in this case.

Oxford Brookes is not bad tho. I studied engineering there and it's very well regarded in the industry, among the likes of Bath. It's also very good for architecture, management, and stuff like real estate, etc. But life sciences and subjects like English, Law, etc ... they are not one of the best, if I'm not wrong.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 day ago
Its more infamous for me as the Uni that let in the guy who bullied and abused his fresher girlfriend so much she committed suicide. A very sad story, which was on the news and in the papers.
V1ct0r
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Its more infamous for me as the Uni that let in the guy who bullied and abused his fresher girlfriend so much she committed suicide. A very sad story, which was on the news and in the papers.
Really? I've never heard of that. Can you point to me an article or smth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.2%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.9%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (120)
36.25%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.97%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
20.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.44%

Watched Threads