How many hours a week does a foundation doctor work?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Elsaaa97
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a medical student just starting my final year so wanting to prepare myself for what comes next. I know hystorically F1s have often worked 80hour weeks but I was wondering with the new contracts if this still happens? Of course it will be different in different specialities and foundation schools, but if anyone knows roughly the norm?
Thanks
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
No that doesn't happen any more. Not to that degree anyway.

Your maximum contracted hours are 48 hours per week with most rotas being a little less. You might stay late occasionally, but if in England you can exception report (gets you extra money or time in lieu so worth it).

However you may be required to do things like audits, which can sometimes be hard to do in hours if its a busy job. Once you start doing exams that can also add a very large amount to the out of hours unpaid workload. They also have very low pass rates with big variability based on med school,

My general estimate for average workload is 50-55 hours per week, but with week to week variability. There certainly jobs out there that are 9-5 with no chance of staying late too.

Obviously add commute onto that, and as your job moves each year a lot of people have very long commutes.
Smile88egc
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'd just add that the 48hrs maximum per week is on average over the duration of the post, the maximum you can be rostered to work in any one week is 72 hours and the BMA has negotiated that foundation doctors in England at least should have rostered time to complete non-clinical activities like audit within their working week.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Smile88egc)
I'd just add that the 48hrs maximum per week is on average over the duration of the post, the maximum you can be rostered to work in any one week is 72 hours and the BMA has negotiated that foundation doctors in England at least should have rostered time to complete non-clinical activities like audit within their working week.
Really? Is this with the new contract? I have definitely done more than 72 hours!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Really? Is this with the new contract? I have definitely done more than 72 hours!
Really? That's 6x 12 hour days!

Yeah that's always been in the 2016 contract.

I've never ever ever seen a pre-SpR doctor given time for audits despite them being mandatory, though.
Ceryni
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)

I've never ever ever seen a pre-SpR doctor given time for audits despite them being mandatory, though.
The allocated time for non-clinical “self-development” activities such as audits is part of last years negotiations and has been added to the 2016 contract as of this August. At the minimum, this should be 2 hours per week for F2s, with allocated time for F1s not currently mandatory but advised (and I believe will become mandatory from next August).

As ever, not actually widely known amongst F1/2s unless you follow the BMA on social media or religiously scroll through every bulletin put on the NHS employers website!
fishfacesimpson
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It's been a while since people were doing 80hr weeks although I think some depts with lots of shifts eg ED still have some brutal rotas though particularly with frequent shifts between day and night but they're quite rare, thankfully

The worst I ever did was 7 nights in a row or in the same job 5x13hr, weekend off and then 7x13hr. They were really painful predominantly because if you factor in the commute (never forget this!) all you did was travel to work, work and travel back. It was so hard to eat properly and I remember just being drained after the 2 week block although the learning opportunitiee were excellent. Thankfully they didn't allow swapping into the weekend in the middle for leave purposes - 12 straight long days would've been horrible. They only got away with it because of lots of zeros and clinic weeks which were very light (but also meant we got half of Cmt requirement for clinics in one rotation). No doubt the new contract has made this rota a distant memory
Last edited by fishfacesimpson; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)

Yep, I have done many 6 X 12 hour days. But we are not on the new contract.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yep, I have done many 6 X 12 hour days. But we are not on the new contract.
6 x 12.5 hour days, sorry.
Catchetat
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
48 hours is the average. So you could be working constantly then have days off - so it averages out. Some specialties have it a lot easier I hate to say... like psych...
X
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (52)
26.4%
As I expected (65)
32.99%
Harder (72)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.06%

Watched Threads