The Student Room Group

How do you feel about your grades?

Poll

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

Where they what you were expecting?

Let us know.

Whatever your situation, there's loads of support available in the Applications, Clearing and UCAS forum, and you can find a guide to appeals here if you need it.

Sending love to everyone and remember, we're all here to support you. :heart:

Scroll to see replies

Thank you The Student Room! Great support.

We are also hosting some Results Clinics so students who are not happy with their results can meet with our experienced staff, virtually or in the College,who will help you to identify what went wrong and what you will need to do to succeed. We can talk you through our retake course options or perhaps a change of direction.

A LEVEL RESULTS CLINIC
FRIDAY 14TH AUGUST: 10AM 6PM

A LEVEL RESULTS CLINIC
TUESDAY 18TH AUGUST: 10AM 6PM

GCSE RESULTS CLINIC
FRIDAY 21ST AUGUST: 10AM 6PM

GCSE RESULTS CLINIC
TUESDAY 25TH AUGUST : 10AM 6PM

Alternatively, if you would prefer to book a private visit with a member of the senior leadership team, please contact Ms Rachel Kwok, Head of Admissions on 0207 221 6665 or [email protected] to book a visit. The senior leadership team are available for appointments Monday Friday throughout the school holidays.

We are here to help!
needed AAA, got ABB :/ taking a gap year to resit as I don't think an appeal would do much
Original post by Dentistry432
needed AAA, got ABB :/ taking a gap year to resit as I don't think an appeal would do much

Ah mate, I'm sorry to hear that. Have you spoken with you firm and insurance unis? They've been asked to be flexible and there might be some options in clearing if you'd be interested in that?
Ended up with A*A*A*. I did not expect that at all. Very surprised.
Original post by Lightning720

That's awesome!!! Congratulations!
Got downgraded from AAB to ABC, missing my firm by 1 grade and I was rejected from both of my choices after spending 3 hours writing emails to them and calling to get through on the phone, basically couldn't offer any leniency and I was shocked as my teachers really did try to predict everyone accurately. Everyone in college got downgraded in bio and chem, and the A* pupil got B's and are crushed.
Original post by Schnuckiboo
Got downgraded from AAB to ABC, missing my firm by 1 grade and I was rejected from both of my choices after spending 3 hours writing emails to them and calling to get through on the phone, basically couldn't offer any leniency and I was shocked as my teachers really did try to predict everyone accurately. Everyone in college got downgraded in bio and chem, and the A* pupil got B's and are crushed.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Have you thought about whether you think autumn exams might be helpful for you? Or any other courses in clearing you might be interested in?
Original post by BlinkyBill
I'm so sorry to hear this. Have you thought about whether you think autumn exams might be helpful for you? Or any other courses in clearing you might be interested in?

It's for vet med so clearing wasn't an option for me sadly, although I heard that Bristol went into clearing for it early and I was just surprised that they did that before accepting anyone who had missed by 1 grade, especially as their reason for the contextual offer in the first place is that my college is low performing, so I was more likely to be down graded anyway.

I think both unis are saying if I appeal or resit in autumn and meet the conditions, I'll basically have an unconditional offer for 2021, I'm happy taking a gap year if it means I get on the course without having to do the interview again. I just don't know which grades to appeal and which to sit in autumn quite yet (as in whether I choose to sit the C to get an A or whether I risk taking both and trying to get AA in the exams).

What gets me is that I will probably have to sit exams in around 7 weeks to prove my predicted grades and stand any chance of progressing to uni, I can't sit in summer as the vet schools I'm eligible for don't allow resits bar 1. Whereas someone who would have got BBB in the final exam or didn't really try but went to a high performing school, are less likely to have their grades seen as unrealistic and downgraded by the model, and are off to their firm or will never be forced to sit that exam as a last resort. Especially because on the day, if I got a bad paper or any number of things- I could still achieve lower than what I need, even if I pour my heart and soul in for these 7 weeks, whereas others will never have to worry about that because of their school's prior performance.

I also thought smaller cohorts would have the CAGs taken into account more, my class sizes are 13 students so I'm shocked that this didn't seem to be the case at all.
It's for vet med so clearing wasn't an option for me sadly, although I heard that Bristol went into clearing for it early and I was just surprised that they did that before accepting anyone who had missed by 1 grade, especially as their reason for the contextual offer in the first place is that my college is low performing, so I was more likely to be down graded anyway.

I think both unis are saying if I appeal or resit in autumn and meet the conditions, I'll basically have an unconditional offer for 2021, I'm happy taking a gap year if it means I get on the course without having to do the interview again. I just don't know which grades to appeal and which to sit in autumn quite yet (as in whether I choose to sit the C to get an A or whether I risk taking both and trying to get AA in the exams).

What gets me is that I will probably have to sit exams in around 7 weeks to prove my predicted grades and stand any chance of progressing to uni, I can't sit in summer as the vet schools I'm eligible for don't allow resits bar 1. Whereas someone who would have got BBB in the final exam or didn't really try but went to a high performing school, are less likely to have their grades seen as unrealistic and downgraded by the model, and are off to their firm or will never be forced to sit that exam as a last resort. Especially because on the day, if I got a bad paper or any number of things- I could still achieve lower than what I need, even if I pour my heart and soul in for these 7 weeks, whereas others will never have to worry about that because of their school's prior performance.

I also thought smaller cohorts would have the CAGs taken into account more, my class sizes are 13 students so I'm shocked that this didn't seem to be the case at all.

Heya,

Actually, that is really interesting to hear. My understanding is that for classes with between 5 and 15 students they used a combination approach (ie. not entirely reliant on the statistical model), but I suppose it does depend what result your teacher put down for you maybe. For what it's worth, it sounds like you will have the time now to wait and see what the deal is with the appeals process using mock exams next week, then make your decision about autumn exams or appeals. It's such a tough one, I know, especially when there's still info missing. I hope Ofqual can give some clarity soon. :redface:
Original post by BlinkyBill
Heya,

Actually, that is really interesting to hear. My understanding is that for classes with between 5 and 15 students they used a combination approach (ie. not entirely reliant on the statistical model), but I suppose it does depend what result your teacher put down for you maybe. For what it's worth, it sounds like you will have the time now to wait and see what the deal is with the appeals process using mock exams next week, then make your decision about autumn exams or appeals. It's such a tough one, I know, especially when there's still info missing. I hope Ofqual can give some clarity soon. :redface:

Hiya, thank you for your message :smile: I can provide a little more info too if you'd like from what I'd seen on results day (we went in to college to collect them).

I thought that was the case for 5-15 students too in a cohort. The odd thing is that my teachers didn't seem to have been overly generous, one teacher actually gave me my mock grade of a B in biology, and that was my mock exam in December, so if they were being generous they could have given me an A because I was achieving 22/25 in my essays for homework in biology and A's in past papers for revision in March. So I think a B was fair if anything without being too generous. However 2 students in our class of 13 achieved A*s in every single test and homework, and were downgraded to B's, because of that I'm assuming that's why everyone in the entire college for biology was downgraded. I think we just stood out as an outlier because there probably haven't been 1 or even 2 A*s in biology before at our college. However for chemistry, A's have been achieved before and yet I was downgraded from an A to a B and others dropped a grade or more too. One student who achieved A*s was downgraded to a C somehow.

I do like to stress that I think my college made fair predictions based on our effort, classwork and in some cases mocks too, out of a class of 13, 3 people getting A's seems like a lot though and this is why I feel the algorithm has seriously messed it up for schools like mine. Because other schools may have over predicted, but I would have been over the moon with the AAB for uni and I know I was one of the few people predicted grades like that.

I thought for any outliers they would look at the CAG and I had hope that because they said there would be a bit of weighting on the CAG, that we wouldn't be so harshly marked down. It's shocked me even more because this means that even the CAGs couldn't have helped in lessening the blow of the statistics no matter how realistic teachers make them, just goes to show how wild it is and I wasn't expecting it to be so rigid, these are people's lives and futures.

Interesting to see how it will play out given that mocks exams aren't standardised in any way, and my college uses high grade boundaries so we may not even be able to appeal using our mock grades. Oh my plan is to enter for both October exams and the appeal, in case one ends up working, but have to wait to see how it will work.
Original post by Lightning720

Congratulations :wink:
Hiya, thank you for your message :smile: I can provide a little more info too if you'd like from what I'd seen on results day (we went in to college to collect them).

I thought that was the case for 5-15 students too in a cohort. The odd thing is that my teachers didn't seem to have been overly generous, one teacher actually gave me my mock grade of a B in biology, and that was my mock exam in December, so if they were being generous they could have given me an A because I was achieving 22/25 in my essays for homework in biology and A's in past papers for revision in March. So I think a B was fair if anything without being too generous. However 2 students in our class of 13 achieved A*s in every single test and homework, and were downgraded to B's, because of that I'm assuming that's why everyone in the entire college for biology was downgraded. I think we just stood out as an outlier because there probably haven't been 1 or even 2 A*s in biology before at our college. However for chemistry, A's have been achieved before and yet I was downgraded from an A to a B and others dropped a grade or more too. One student who achieved A*s was downgraded to a C somehow.

I do like to stress that I think my college made fair predictions based on our effort, classwork and in some cases mocks too, out of a class of 13, 3 people getting A's seems like a lot though and this is why I feel the algorithm has seriously messed it up for schools like mine. Because other schools may have over predicted, but I would have been over the moon with the AAB for uni and I know I was one of the few people predicted grades like that.

I thought for any outliers they would look at the CAG and I had hope that because they said there would be a bit of weighting on the CAG, that we wouldn't be so harshly marked down. It's shocked me even more because this means that even the CAGs couldn't have helped in lessening the blow of the statistics no matter how realistic teachers make them, just goes to show how wild it is and I wasn't expecting it to be so rigid, these are people's lives and futures.

Interesting to see how it will play out given that mocks exams aren't standardised in any way, and my college uses high grade boundaries so we may not even be able to appeal using our mock grades. Oh my plan is to enter for both October exams and the appeal, in case one ends up working, but have to wait to see how it will work.

That is really interesting. I'm sorry it seems to have panned out this way. There are definitely complications galore when it comes to standardising things like this. I hope your school is able to help you reach a good conclusion you're happy with. There are so many options, and you'll still be able to get to where you want to go, even if it's in a bit of an unexpected way, I'm sure of it. Wishing you the best of luck!
Quite mixed. I received an offer from my firm, but my History grade was shocking. Consistently scored A/B during YR13 and was predicted a B. I got a U and the school are supporting me and are raising my concerns with my local mp

HOPE IT WORKS :smile:
Original post by arman1401
Quite mixed. I received an offer from my firm, but my History grade was shocking. Consistently scored A/B during YR13 and was predicted a B. I got a U and the school are supporting me and are raising my concerns with my local mp

HOPE IT WORKS :smile:

That's good you got an offer! So did get the uni and course you wanted in the end? It's good to hear that your school is supporting you, it will definitely be interesting to see whether there will be any changes, but great you're looking at all your options. :smile:
Yep the uni and course I firmed is where I am heading to. I hope the government can do a Scotland and support their students
Original post by arman1401
Yep the uni and course I firmed is where I am heading to. I hope the government can do a Scotland and support their students

That's great news! Congratulations!
Reply 17
I received A*A*A which is what I had hoped for and expected, though the A and A* were in the opposite subjects to what I originally anticipated.
Expected A*BB, got A*A*A* somehow! So happy, but the imposter syndrome is also kicking in.
Reply 19
I got AAA, which is exactly what I needed. While I did expect better, I'm still going to my firm so whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest