A-level: taking exams in summer 2021

Watch this thread
Jekslsgdnsksld
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to study medicine and I'm in a bad situation. I didn't get what I wanted in my results. I was just blind-sided in this situation. Anyways I'm scared to take the autumn exam as I'm not sure if I'll do as well as I want to. But If I do the exam in summer 2021 i'm assuming it'll be considered as me retaking the year and most med schools wont consider me seriously. So now I'm panicking and have no clue on what to do.
leopart223
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jekslsgdnsksld)
I want to study medicine and I'm in a bad situation. I didn't get what I wanted in my results. I was just blind-sided in this situation. Anyways I'm scared to take the autumn exam as I'm not sure if I'll do as well as I want to. But If I do the exam in summer 2021 i'm assuming it'll be considered as me retaking the year and most med schools wont consider me seriously. So now I'm panicking and have no clue on what to do.
Heya, med student from the University of Leeds here. What A levels results did you get? I definitely advise against resits as it'll vastly reduce the amount of med schools you can apply to. But don't freak out! I'm here to help
Jekslsgdnsksld
Rep:
(Original post by leopart223)
Heya, med student from the University of Leeds here. What A levels results did you get? I definitely advise against resits as it'll vastly reduce the amount of med schools you can apply to. But don't freak out! I'm here to help
I got DCC. I was originally working at AAA at the start of my year and started slacking DEC-JAN. Same thing happened to me in GCSE's. I achieved B's and C's in mocks then achieved 100% A*-A's at the end.
Im scared to take the autumn exam as I feel like 1 month and a half to review everything is simply not enough. :confused:
Thank you for your help!!
leopart223
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I got DCC. I was originally working at AAA at the start of my year and started slacking DEC-JAN. Same thing happened to me in GCSE's. I achieved B's and C's in mocks then achieved 100% A*-A's at the end.
Im scared to take the autumn exam as I feel like 1 month and a half to review everything is simply not enough. :confused:
Thank you for your help!!
Hmm... yeah that's a difficult one. Med schools across the UK require at least an AAA (in most cases), unless you're from a less privileged background. You probably shouldn't try a resit because a lot of medical schools do not accept applicants who resit their exams. Your best shot is probably applying to a biomed/biochem school! From there, you can take a graduate entry pathway at certain medical schools using the GAMSAT.

It's the longer way around, but you'll gain a lot of experience and knowledge that will help you become a doctor! And there's an opportunity to look into other career paths later if you change your mind.
Last edited by leopart223; 1 year ago
Jekslsgdnsksld
Rep:
Also i don't know what format the autumn exams are going to be. If they are full exam papers ,3 papers for subject, then I am utterly doomed.
Jekslsgdnsksld
Rep:
(Original post by leopart223)
Hmm... yeah that's a difficult one. Med schools across the UK require at least an AAA (in most cases), unless you're from a less privileged background. You probably shouldn't try a resit because a lot of medical schools do not accept applicants who resit their exams. Your best shot is probably applying to a biomed/biochem school! From there, you can take a graduate entry pathway at certain medical schools using the GAMSAT.

It's the longer way around, but you'll gain a lot of experience and knowledge that will help you become a doctor! And there's an opportunity to look into other career paths later if you change your mind.
Thank you for your help!
leopart223
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Also i don't know what format the autumn exams are going to be. If they are full exam papers ,3 papers for subject, then I am utterly doomed.
Yeah, please don't do them! You'll be stuck with whatever grades you get and you don't sound prepared. I'll reiterate: if you're applying to a medical school, do not resit the exams. It'll reduce the pool of schools that will take you, and you'll still have to do the UCAT/BMAT. I recommend applying to some biomed/biochem schools, gaining some experience, and applying to medicine through the graduate entry route.
Anonymous030802
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I need to focus on UCAT and BMAT and also need to do my A level exams now as well. I don’t think I’ll be able to do it in Autumn and I wanted to sit it in Summer but apparently it will count as a resit? Why is that?
TheDemeaning
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
dude just have a go in autumn, theres no harm in it. worst comes to worst and you mess up, you can just do it in the summer.
Anonymous030802
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
But I risk compromising my BMAT, and I’ll be considered a resit applicant if I do both right? Why can’t I just sit w the y13 of next year.
TheDemeaning
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous030802)
But I risk compromising my BMAT, and I’ll be considered a resit applicant if I do both right? Why can’t I just sit w the y13 of next year.
was referring to OP lol, but either way its still a good option imo:

1) if you get the grades in autumn you wont have to worry about meeting the grades in the summer as the offer will be unconditional and it will relieve some stress

2) as ur doing medicine doing the exams in the summer counts as a resit which narrows your med school options down by quite a bit as some med schools dont accept resit grades

3) summer is a loooong way from now, idk if i could sustain consistent revision from now till then, thats why im personally gonna try in the autumn. worst comes to worst and ill sit in summer as an insurance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads