All of my A-Level grades were downgraded

Watch
Ekh2002
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am wondering if anyone is in the same position as me.
Essentially I took 4 A-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Our School set out our results in a table so I can see that I was assigned an A in all 4 of my subjects by the school. However after processing I got BBBC. The C is in Maths which is particularly upsetting as I got a B in my mock - I essentially got downgraded 2 grades from what my teacher inputted. I was rejected from my firm and I'm now wondering if its even worth trying to retake 3 exams because I haven't had any formal teaching since March. Anyone else in a similar boat?
UELStudentRep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm so sorry to hear this. It's a really frustrating situation but know that you're not alone! I think it's worth speaking to your teachers and getting their opinion as well.
Ekh2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by UELStudentRep)
I'm so sorry to hear this. It's a really frustrating situation but know that you're not alone! I think it's worth speaking to your teachers and getting their opinion as well.
Thankyou for your kindness. My Headteacher was reasonably confident he may be able to appeal the Maths grade from a C to a B but unless the system is changed nationally then there aren't many other options for me.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry to hear this, and that you're disappointed with the maths grade in particular! What grades would you have needed for your firm? For instance, would you be able to meet them retaking one or two exams, or would it have to be all three?

Additionally, did you meet your insurance offer with the adjusted grades?

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do :hugs:
Wes - Newman Uni
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ekh2002)
Essentially I took 4 A-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Our School set out our results in a table so I can see that I was assigned an A in all 4 of my subjects by the school. However after processing I got BBBC. The C is in Maths which is particularly upsetting as I got a B in my mock - I essentially got downgraded 2 grades from what my teacher inputted. I was rejected from my firm and I'm now wondering if its even worth trying to retake 3 exams because I haven't had any formal teaching since March. Anyone else in a similar boat?
Ekh2002 Sorry to hear you have essentially been downgraded 2 grades. If you retake it does not harm the grades you have already got as they will not go down, it can only be the same or go up
Are you committed to get a place at your firm choice? Or would you consider going into clearing and looking for other universities and courses for September? (The above comment also makes a good point whether you got a response from your 2nd choice )

Any questions just let me know.
Wes,
Newman University Rep
Ekh2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Sorry to hear this, and that you're disappointed with the maths grade in particular! What grades would you have needed for your firm? For instance, would you be able to meet them retaking one or two exams, or would it have to be all three?

Additionally, did you meet your insurance offer with the adjusted grades?

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do :hugs:
For my firm I would have needed A*AA. I understand it is very hard to get an A* so I don't hold it against any of my teachers for not assigning me one - I would have been happy with the 4 A s i was assigned. My insurance offer was AAB - which clearly I would not have received either, but thankfully that was shifted to an Unconditional today. However my insurance is for a different course that is not initially what I would have liked to do.
Additionally if I had have received 4 A s then I would have been in a strong position to try and get onto my preferred course through clearing, but as it is there is little to no point in me even phoning courses that would usually require 3 A s for an offer.
Thankyou for the hugs also.
Ekh2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wes - Newman Uni)
Ekh2002 Sorry to hear you have essentially been downgraded 2 grades. If you retake it does not harm the grades you have already got as they will not go down, it can only be the same or go up
Are you committed to get a place at your firm choice? Or would you consider going into clearing and looking for other universities and courses for September? (The above comment also makes a good point whether you got a response from your 2nd choice )

Any questions just let me know.
Wes,
Newman University Rep
The idea of retaking makes me feel very bad for a number of reasons. Firstly I have barely touched my work since march - as soon as lockdown was announced my school discontinued any form of teaching for year 13s so they could focus on younger years - we were told to return our textbooks. The idea of trying to turn myself around in a matter of weeks to get an A in even one of these exams seems somewhat delusional. As well as this I will be part of a tiny cohort - most likely trying to get high grades - meaning grade boundaries will be high. Is it really worth the stress?
As for my insurance option please see the reply above .
Thankyou for your concern and best wishes
Wes - Newman Uni
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The idea of retaking makes me feel very bad for a number of reasons. Firstly I have barely touched my work since march - as soon as lockdown was announced my school discontinued any form of teaching for year 13s so they could focus on younger years - we were told to return our textbooks. The idea of trying to turn myself around in a matter of weeks to get an A in even one of these exams seems somewhat delusional. As well as this I will be part of a tiny cohort - most likely trying to get high grades - meaning grade boundaries will be high. Is it really worth the stress?
As for my insurance option please see the reply above .
Thankyou for your concern and best wishes
Ekh2002 I get fully those concerns about retaking. It feels you know in yourself that it may not be right to do. It is a shame you have had no contact.
It is a good question. It is only worth the stress if you feel committed to doing it.

So just to check do you feel you are going to do your insurance as they have given you the unconditional but it is not fully what you want? Do you feel you need to go into clearing and find something else?
Ekh2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wes - Newman Uni)
Ekh2002 I get fully those concerns about retaking. It feels you know in yourself that it may not be right to do. It is a shame you have had no contact.
It is a good question. It is only worth the stress if you feel committed to doing it.

So just to check do you feel you are going to do your insurance as they have given you the unconditional but it is not fully what you want? Do you feel you need to go into clearing and find something else?
I feel my only option is to go to my insurance as there is really no point in going through clearing for the course I want with B s as the standard offer is AAA. My insurance may be able to offer me a transfer onto my preferred course after a year, which is good other than the money that I will spend doing a course I don't really want to do for a year.
I feel bad feeling sorry for myself as I know there are people who are in a similar situation but have also been dropped by their insurance - things could be worse.
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please do not feel alone. I was predicted A*AA, my school submitted ABB and I received BCC. I don't understand the thought process behind these grades at all to be honest with you.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel my only option is to go to my insurance as there is really no point in going through clearing for the course I want with B s as the standard offer is AAA. My insurance may be able to offer me a transfer onto my preferred course after a year, which is good other than the money that I will spend doing a course I don't really want to do for a year.
I feel bad feeling sorry for myself as I know there are people who are in a similar situation but have also been dropped by their insurance - things could be worse.
You definitely don't need to feel bad for feeling sorry for yourself! In any situation there will people who are worse off, and people who are better off, but that doesn't invalidate your feelings. Results are a hugely stressful time in general, let alone this year with all the massive changes. Do you have family or friends you could talk through your options with too?
nubestreet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
Please do not feel alone. I was predicted A*AA, my school submitted ABB and I received BCC. I don't understand the thought process behind these grades at all to be honest with you.
I'm so sorry to hear this. I've seen you on the Cambridge thread and I know that you've had a very tough year; this is all so unfair and unjust. What are your plans?
anaindiemood
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this but I can assure you you’re not alone. I took A levels in Maths, Biology and chemistry too and my teacher assigned grades were AA*A* respectively after receiving AAA* in my mocks. However this morning I pretty much had a mental breakdown upon finding out my calculated grades were in fact:
Maths(C)
Biology(B)
Chemistry(C)

I honestly can’t begin to understand what this so called algorithm is calculating because welllll it doesn’t work. I too have been rejected by all my courses(I needed AAA). I really feel we’ve been thrown into an impossible situation, I want to resit but honestly feel so uncomfortable doing so because as you said not doing any formal teaching for so long gets you out of it-plus we didn’t even finish the spec in maths. Going from a straight A grade student to a BCC student is the most disheartening thing and I empathise with you so deeply. I honestly hope they’ll overthrow this and do what Scotland have done....
HopelessMe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
AAA predicted and BCC received here. What to do? Firm and Insurance missed by a mile....
papayas
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aren't you able to choose the best grades out of your predicted grades, current grades and Autumn retakes? Speak to your Head of Year and try to appeal so you can get your predicted grades.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HopelessMe)
AAA predicted and BCC received here. What to do? Firm and Insurance missed by a mile....
It sounds like it might be worth you considering appealing, given how different the grades are?
Wes - Newman Uni
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ekh2002 That is fair if you feel that is what you need to do. Do you know that they would be able to transfer you to the other course?
Do not worry about feeling how you feel. This is your situation and you are entitled to your feelings. But, you deserve great respect for having empathy and awareness of other people. So, never feel bad, you find what is right for you.
SumMed
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
omg same same. my school sent ABB and now I got BCC( same as last year as I took a gap year). now what will you be doing?
shazza911
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same situation as you goes, but I'm a resit student too who got ABB last year. Retook the subjects I got B's where I was predicted A*A. They give me CC.... like what was the point of me taking the year out to redeem myself when I'm now in an even worse position.
switchblades
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can still phone up unis and ask for them to take you! last year my friend got into an AAA course with BBB at St georges. I don't know what course you are interested in, but you never know! you can still get into a great uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.93%
No (178)
78.07%

Watched Threads