Joshuah0123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am considering choosing gcse art mainly because it will be a break from the more academic subjects (cores + history, Spanish, and RS), however, I have heard a lot of negative things about the subject which are making me reconsider my options. I am not amazing at art, but I do enjoy it and I believe that with hard work I could improve.

In your opinion, is gcse art worth all of the stress or should i opt for something else?

Thanks in advance!
sunsetpeony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey! i didn't take art but a friend did and in all honesty, i didn't get the impression that it was amazing. from what i've heard, gcse art is a lot of stress and so you probably need to be really set on it to take it! don't let that put you off though, it will honestly depend on your own mindset and how much you really love it.

what other options are you considering?
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does the full range of GCSEs you are doing provide the basis you need to go on to the A Levels you would like to take?

If that is the case and if the timetable also allows you to take Art, I see no reason why you shouldn't include GCSE Art.

If you didn't take Art, what would also be suitable and would fit in the timetable?
IDK.345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunsetpeony)
hey! i didn't take art but a friend did and in all honesty, i didn't get the impression that it was amazing. from what i've heard, gcse art is a lot of stress and so you probably need to be really set on it to take it! don't let that put you off though, it will honestly depend on your own mindset and how much you really love it.

what other options are you considering?
I did GCSE Art and it is true that it is a lot of stress, to get a good grade the workload is vast. Many people in my art class dropped art as it was too much work alongside their other subjects. If you have any other questions let me know.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn't do it myself, but from my friends who did I could see that it was a very time-consuming subject. A lot of them seemed to spend virtually every free lunchtime they had in the art room, working on their sketchbook.

Having said that, if you enjoy art then having that creative outlet could be really helpful.

What do you think? Will it help you relax and take a break from your more academic subjects, or will the level of work make you stressed?
revert2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I took Art. It’s one of the biggest regrets of my school life. However, I didn’t realise how time-consuming it would be and have the artistic capabilities of a goldfish. The course is very strict with what they want from you as well—I felt that I had no freedom when it came to the direction of my work.
I would only recommended that you take it if you really love all kinds of Art and don’t mind spending hours inside and outside of school on it.
JoelBigSmokeTea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did art during my GCSE, kinda regret it.
Lets get this out of the way for starters. If your intention is drawing anime, or figuring out how to doodle stuff like people (not copying photos), you have chosen the wrong subject. You're literally just better off teaching your self that (since my art teachers never bothered with fundamentals let alone colour theory that goes beyond complementary colours). Go read loomis guides, or glenn vilppu if you want to figure out how to draw big anime tiddie waifus.
Best way I can describe GCSE art is that its like english, except instead of studying books, you're studying art. Exploring the meanings and choices the artist made for such work. Most of the art you'll be doing will usually just be copying from photos, which if you want to learn how to draw those "amazing" drawings of celebrities that see on reddit or instagram then GCSE art is for you.
If you're struggling with your other subjects DO NOT TAKE ART. It can be quite long and rather tiresome given how it can usually take 1 to a couple days of work to finish a piece drawing or painting (especially if you're doing anything bigger than A4). You need proper time management skills, and you simply can't just do work last minute, unless you want a low grade (like a D or C at best).
Elle.c
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did art. Biggest regret of my whole school experience. It is so unbelievably time consuming. If you’ve been told you get to make your work whatever you want it to be, you don’t. Or Atleast that was my experience with that. If you’re not really good at art I’d just pick something else I was never good at it and I did it because I thought it would be easy and it was one of my hardest subjects
Year11fails
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am currently in year 11 and am very behind on Art course work. It is my own fault as it was honestly it too much, I don’t think that I’m even going to pass at this rate. My family don’t know that I’m this far behind and I’ve already told them too much negative information. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I should have done it over the summer but I failed that also. Putty party for one here
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Year11fails)
I am currently in year 11 and am very behind on Art course work. It is my own fault as it was honestly it too much, I don’t think that I’m even going to pass at this rate. My family don’t know that I’m this far behind and I’ve already told them too much negative information. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I should have done it over the summer but I failed that also. Putty party for one here
speak to your teacher about dropping the subject maybe? if your behind on coursework then maybe try speaking to your art teacher about it
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Killed the art out of me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (87)
21.48%
No (318)
78.52%

Watched Threads