SleepyBeans
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I honestly have a rock in my stomach, I wanna get blackout drunk and just cry right now.
I got predicted a ABC and just received CCE, I got all 7s and 8s during GCSEs and didn't do well during mocks but at worst expected BCD or something like that.

I can't even apply for clearing with hope.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rachana.L)
I honestly have a rock in my stomach, I wanna get blackout drunk and just cry right now.
I got predicted a ABC and just received CCE, I got all 7s and 8s during GCSEs and didn't do well during mocks but at worst expected BCD or something like that.

Hey, very sorry to hear about this. Please don't panic and if you've got a moment, sit down somewhere and have a drink of water. If you don't mind me asking, did your fellow students/other students from your school get similar results as you which are well below their predicted grades. If so, your school could appeal these grades - further info about the appeals process here. Your other option is indeed Clearing and there's a lot of variety depending on what subject you want to do so you can have a look around + there's likely to be fewer international students starting this September so your chances of getting a place could be slightly higher. If you need any further help, just tag me. Hope this helps.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You have a few options, you could either try to go through clearing (you can get into some courses with CCE, even if that means a foundation year). You may want to look on clearing plus which will give you personalised options that you can look through.

Alternatively you can appeal (the process isn't final and appeals might not go through in time for 2020 entry) and/or resit. This would involve taking a gap year, and you might want to consider things like finances.

Please do not do anything irresponsible, call the Samaritans if everything gets too overwhelming.
UniofReading
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Hi Rachana.L

I'm sorry to hear things didn't go as you'd hoped! Please remember that you are worth more than your grades, and in these strange times it's no surprise that things didn't go too great. Do you have someone, family or friends, who you could speak to about how you are feeling?

If you are interested in going to University this year, then you could try calling the clearing hotlines for those with foundation courses. Foundation years are a fantastic way of getting the skills you need to get onto a degree course. I know plenty of people who took a foundation and had a great experience and they were set up for the degree course better than lots of people who entered it directly!

Let me know if I can help/support in any way. It's not all doom and gloom, there are options out there for you!
What degree course were you interested in?

Dan
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Perfect example of how the flawed system screwed over a decent candidate. My recommendation to u is to actually sit the real alevel exams. That’s your right under the triple lock system, and it’s worth taking a year out over cos it could potentially affect your whole life. I took two gap years after getting 4As so there’s no shame in taking one to improve ur grades. Years away from your peer group matters less and less the older u get and there were loads of older people in my degree program, so don’t worry about being the only ‘Old person’
Hisksjd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In the same boat. Predicted A*A*AA only to end up with ACCA, with a C in the subject I was going to do at uni. Missed my offer for my dream uni and can't even get into any related course through clearing, my school uses ridiculously high grade boundaries for mocks so best I'd get through appeal is AABA which isn't enough to meet my original offer. Just given up on everything so I'm going on a random course at my dream uni (Warwick) and hope I can transfer. Worst case scenario I drop out at the end of the year and re-apply but anything to avoid staying in this house another year. I know someone will suggest a foundation course or looking for another uni but no, call it stubborn or stupid idc. I'm not sacrificing all chance of getting into my dream uni to go to a mediocre uni to a place I've never been before on a course I'd still probably hate just because the government screwed me over for not being a private school kid.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Hisksjd)
In the same boat. Predicted A*A*AA only to end up with ACCA, with a C in the subject I was going to do at uni. Missed my offer for my dream uni and can't even get into any related course through clearing, my school uses ridiculously high grade boundaries for mocks so best I'd get through appeal is AABA which isn't enough to meet my original offer. Just given up on everything so I'm going on a random course at my dream uni (Warwick) and hope I can transfer. Worst case scenario I drop out at the end of the year and re-apply but anything to avoid staying in this house another year. I know someone will suggest a foundation course or looking for another uni but no, call it stubborn or stupid idc. I'm not sacrificing all chance of getting into my dream uni to go to a mediocre uni to a place I've never been before on a course I'd still probably hate just because the government screwed me over for not being a private school kid.
I feel u bro. I get screwed over every day for not being a private school kid. Such is life. Us state compers just gotta be the better people and show these corrupt plebs that we can still whoop their arses now matter how hard they try to put us down! I hope u get the grades u want after remark! U could always resit in sep if u sure u will get A*A*AA.

PS: in the scheme of things a-levels dont matter anyway. I think the lower grades u have the more companies like u cos u are more likely to be subservient. Loads of thick people From my school have done way better than me career wise. I got my 4As and Russell group degree but I cant get one of these fancy toff jobs, nor can i get a warehouse job. Grades and degree don’t mean **** in the real world.
Last edited by boulderingislife; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (165)
14.55%
I'm not sure (52)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.54%
I have already dropped out (34)
3%
I'm not a current university student (548)
48.32%

Watched Threads