The Student Room Group

I'm in a Relationship but my family is strict. Help

so I met this guy and plan to date him seriously but I'm from a very strict religious family and dating before marriage is not allowed. It will probably be a while until I can meet him since he's quite far away.
I need to get a degree first then I plan to live with him and get a job there so that my family don't find out. What are the chances of this succeeding? I want this to work out since I like him a lot. Thanks x
Make sure the guy fully understands your circumstances, first of all. There is no reason that this plan can't work, but almost everyone leaves university a different person from the person who entered, so keep that in mind. There is also the weight of hiding something like that from your parents. Realise that if you do this, you are essentially saying goodbye to having a normal relationship with them (saying that, I'm all for individual freedom, you definitely should be living your life for you, and not for them. Just be sure you've thought through the magnitude of doing something like this).

Just make sure you've considered everything. People change, and either you or your potential boyfriend may change your mind after your degree as to exactly what you want to do. If the main aim is to get a degree and a job somewhere to be free of your parents, there is no reason why you can't succeed, good luck!
Aww, I'm kind of in the same situation. I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 7 months now and been hiding it from my family. It's definitely been easy on me because my family is abroad. I think that you should understand your parent's worries but at the end of the day it all comes down to you. If your boyfriend is patient and understands the situation he'll wait until you're ready to figure things out. It would obviously be better to be honest with your family and tell the truth but If you feel that they'll restrict things because of you're relationship act smart and do your best to hide things until you get to figure things out.
Original post by Anonymous
so I met this guy and plan to date him seriously but I'm from a very strict religious family and dating before marriage is not allowed. It will probably be a while until I can meet him since he's quite far away.
I need to get a degree first then I plan to live with him and get a job there so that my family don't find out. What are the chances of this succeeding? I want this to work out since I like him a lot. Thanks x

you'll have to "upset" your family at some point but do it when you feel is the safest time to do so.
Reply 4
Original post by charl.elise
Make sure the guy fully understands your circumstances, first of all. There is no reason that this plan can't work, but almost everyone leaves university a different person from the person who entered, so keep that in mind. There is also the weight of hiding something like that from your parents. Realise that if you do this, you are essentially saying goodbye to having a normal relationship with them (saying that, I'm all for individual freedom, you definitely should be living your life for you, and not for them. Just be sure you've thought through the magnitude of doing something like this).

Just make sure you've considered everything. People change, and either you or your potential boyfriend may change your mind after your degree as to exactly what you want to do. If the main aim is to get a degree and a job somewhere to be free of your parents, there is no reason why you can't succeed, good luck!

Thanks so much for this, this really helped me. You're right I should re-assess the consequences and think of how we'll change in the time it takes for me to get a degree.
Thanks so much, I wish you the best too
Reply 5
Aww, I'm kind of in the same situation. I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 7 months now and been hiding it from my family. It's definitely been easy on me because my family is abroad. I think that you should understand your parent's worries but at the end of the day it all comes down to you. If your boyfriend is patient and understands the situation he'll wait until you're ready to figure things out. It would obviously be better to be honest with your family and tell the truth but If you feel that they'll restrict things because of you're relationship act smart and do your best to hide things until you get to figure things out.

Hi!! thanks for sharing this with me. It's amazing that you've been together that long, I hope it goes very well for you. I'll definitely try my best to hide it from them, they will not be happy at all if they find out. thanks so much
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
you'll have to "upset" your family at some point but do it when you feel is the safest time to do so.

Thats very true, I'll try to keep it discrete until I'm ready, thank you for your help!
I'll probably tell them when I'm already settled with him and have a job, hopefully
Reply 7
So where have you 'met' this guy if you say you it will be a while before you meet? You're 'in a relationship', but not dating seriously yet? How old are you and what exactly is going on here?

Those are some pretty serious plans you are making, to make a life with someone you barely know. It sounds very one-sided; 'I' like him, plan to date him, will live with him, not 'we' plan to do x, y and z. What does he think of these arrangements?

You are better off planning how you will live your life; get a degree, get a job, get somewhere to live. Don't rely on it being with someone else, and make sure you aren't using him just to get away from your family. At 18 you're an adult and can start making your own decisions and gain some independence; do exactly that, but make yourself the priority.
Reply 8
Original post by Surnia
So where have you 'met' this guy if you say you it will be a while before you meet? You're 'in a relationship', but not dating seriously yet? How old are you and what exactly is going on here?

Those are some pretty serious plans you are making, to make a life with someone you barely know. It sounds very one-sided; 'I' like him, plan to date him, will live with him, not 'we' plan to do x, y and z. What does he think of these arrangements?

You are better off planning how you will live your life; get a degree, get a job, get somewhere to live. Don't rely on it being with someone else, and make sure you aren't using him just to get away from your family. At 18 you're an adult and can start making your own decisions and gain some independence; do exactly that, but make yourself the priority.

We've definitely talked about it together so it's not completely one-sided but I agree he may not be in the picture later on. I should prioritise my future instead of one together. I don't particularly want to escape from my parents although this is not the first time I've considered it, I don't think I'm using him for that. I like the idea of not always being monitored by them but that was not my main intent. Thank you for your advise though! It made me consider new things
Reply 9
We've definitely talked about it together so it's not completely one-sided but I agree he may not be in the picture later on. I should prioritise my future instead of one together. I don't particularly want to escape from my parents although this is not the first time I've considered it, I don't think I'm using him for that. I like the idea of not always being monitored by them but that was not my main intent. Thank you for your advise though! It made me consider new things

Mmm, studiously avoiding the questions about where you met and how old you are....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending