The Student Room Group

Should I resit the Autumn exams or Summer 2021?

I lost my firm offer and I have decided that I am not going to enter clearing.

My option is to resit. I have contacted universities and asked if they think resitting exams in October and applying with achieved grades will make me a stronger applicant than if I were to apply with predictions again and take the exams in Summer 2021. They said they view predictions and achieved grades equally.

Does anyone know what might be better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m contemplating the same situation
Original post by Jcat894
I’m contemplating the same situation

Have you contacted them? Most say it won't make a difference, but I am reluctant to believe that.
Original post by Results2020

My option is to resit. I have contacted universities and asked if they think resitting exams in October and applying with achieved grades will make me a stronger applicant than if I were to apply with predictions again and take the exams in Summer 2021. They said they view predictions and achieved grades equally.

Good morning,

Sorry to hear about you not being awarded the grades that you had hoped for.

If you were to resit the exams in October and apply with achieved grades then I guess you'd have the advantage of potentially achieving an unconditional offer due to already having the grade which may remove some pressure and allow you to focus on preparing for other attributes of university (shopping for things etc). Also if you had an unconditional from obtained grades then you'd know exactly which uni you'd be attending.

Hope this helps,
Millie
Student Rep

They've said it doesnt make a difference so its really what you prefer.
The reality is a grade in the hand is worth more than a prediction, as everything is confirmed but if you get the grades its not a big deal either way.

If you will be ready to sit exams this autumn then you should consider that, if you feel you could benefit from resitting the whole year and taking the exams in the summer then I would prioritise what will most enable you to perform the best.

You could ask the university their opinion on resits as sitting in May/June next year may be considered a resit. If this is not an issue you could consider sitting in the Autumn & if you are not satisfied resitting in the summer, so 2 bites of the cherry. (some unis resits matter others dont so I would speak with the unis you plan on applying to)
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Good morning,

Sorry to hear about you not being awarded the grades that you had hoped for.

If you were to resit the exams in October and apply with achieved grades then I guess you'd have the advantage of potentially achieving an unconditional offer due to already having the grade which may remove some pressure and allow you to focus on preparing for other attributes of university (shopping for things etc). Also if you had an unconditional from obtained grades then you'd know exactly which uni you'd be attending.

Hope this helps,
Millie
Student Rep

Is that the only difference? If that is the case, then it'd make more sense to sit the summer exams as you'd have more time to prepare.
Original post by mnot
They've said it doesnt make a difference so its really what you prefer.
The reality is a grade in the hand is worth more than a prediction, as everything is confirmed but if you get the grades its not a big deal either way.

If you will be ready to sit exams this autumn then you should consider that, if you feel you could benefit from resitting the whole year and taking the exams in the summer then I would prioritise what will most enable you to perform the best.

You could ask the university their opinion on resits as sitting in May/June next year may be considered a resit. If this is not an issue you could consider sitting in the Autumn & if you are not satisfied resitting in the summer, so 2 bites of the cherry. (some unis resits matter others dont so I would speak with the unis you plan on applying to)

That's what I thought. That an achieved grade would make my application more convincing.

I thought the Autumn exams were also being considered as 'resits'? Are they not?

Thank you!
That's what I thought. That an achieved grade would make my application more convincing.

I thought the Autumn exams were also being considered as 'resits'? Are they not?

Thank you!

Autumn exams will be considered a first attempt, s its providing the opportunity you missed this summer.
I would go with whichever way you feel you will perform best. If you feel you could do the same in October then go for then (and save a stressful results day 2021!), or if you feel that you need the year, then do summer exams
Original post by mnot
Autumn exams will be considered a first attempt, s its providing the opportunity you missed this summer.

I see.

I just feel like I am making a bad decision because I know I could find some course through clearing and go to university this year and not waste another year, but I just know that if I am going to university, I want to be somewhere I choose. I don't know if I am being stubborn or stupid. I just want to get started with revision ASAP and move on. Should I cancel my UCAS application?
I see.

I just feel like I am making a bad decision because I know I could find some course through clearing and go to university this year and not waste another year, but I just know that if I am going to university, I want to be somewhere I choose. I don't know if I am being stubborn or stupid. I just want to get started with revision ASAP and move on. Should I cancel my UCAS application?

Well with clearing you still choose the unis & you dont have to go.

Their is no harm in having a look seeing what options are available to you, if you find a course & uni that you want to go to then you can save a year. If not you can sit the papers.

Again their is no harm in having a look on google.
Original post by Interrobang
I would go with whichever way you feel you will perform best. If you feel you could do the same in October then go for then (and save a stressful results day 2021!), or if you feel that you need the year, then do summer exams

I am just concerned that if I sit the exams next summer, it might make my application weaker. I will email all the universities I am considering applying to again and see what they say. I called two of them and the couldn't get to the admission team for the rest. Thanks!
I have the same issue but I think I’m gonna go for the October exams
I am just concerned that if I sit the exams next summer, it might make my application weaker. I will email all the universities I am considering applying to again and see what they say. I called two of them and the couldn't get to the admission team for the rest. Thanks!

If you are not wanting to go through Clearing then there isn't an immediate rush (apart from creating a space for another applicant). Maybe wait until after 3pm when Clearing will probably settle down. Although in theory, you will still be a first-time applicant if you take summer exams instead.
Original post by Cloudiii
I have the same issue but I think I’m gonna go for the October exams

Can I ask what made you go for the October exams?
Can I ask what made you go for the October exams?

Im not sure if you would have to pay for the summer exams. Also I want to do chemistry so I don’t know how practicals would work if I retake, whereas in the autumn exams the practicals get carried forward. Also I am taking a gap year anyway so I would much prefer applying with grades I already have.
Original post by Cloudiii
Im not sure if you would have to pay for the summer exams. Also I want to do chemistry so I don’t know how practicals would work if I retake, whereas in the autumn exams the practicals get carried forward. Also I am taking a gap year anyway so I would much prefer applying with grades I already have.

Our school is making us pay for the Autumn exams too.
Our school is making us pay for the Autumn exams too.

Really? I don’t think mine have said anything about paying yet. I feel like paying for practicals if you do it next year as would turn out more expensive still though. To be honest I don’t know too much about it
theres no harm in doing them in the autumn? if you mess up then you can sit it in the summer at least you ll get some practice in
I would sit Autumn exams if you have a deferred entry with a university otherwise summers the best bet.

Quick Reply