Student bank account

Watch
username5243714
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Can someone help guide me through the important things to know about getting a student bank account? I am starting university in September.

I have a few questions already but if you have any other important information, feel free to post it.

Can you set one up online or does it have to be in-person?
Can you get rejected when you apply?
Which bank offers the best account?
When should you apply?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Lightning720)
Can someone help guide me through the important things to know about getting a student bank account? I am starting university in September.

I have a few questions already but if you have any other important information, feel free to post it.

Can you set one up online or does it have to be in-person?
Can you get rejected when you apply?
Which bank offers the best account?
When should you apply?
many banks would let you apply online, you can apply now, you would only really get rejected if there's something really not right on your credit history. It depends on whether you need a big overdraft but I don't think there's as many freebies with student accounts these days.
username5243714
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
many banks would let you apply online, you can apply now, you would only really get rejected if there's something really not right on your credit history. It depends on whether you need a big overdraft but I don't think there's as many freebies with student accounts these days.
Would it matter if there is nothing on my credit history (the only thing I've got is a debit account which I have never had an overdraft for - excuse me if I've used the wrong terminology or slightly misunderstand something, I'm not good with stuff like this).

After getting my student account, how easy is it to update SFE with this bank account rather than the one I already have?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Would it matter if there is nothing on my credit history (the only thing I've got is a debit account which I have never had an overdraft for - excuse me if I've used the wrong terminology or slightly misunderstand something, I'm not good with stuff like this).

After getting my student account, how easy is it to update SFE with this bank account rather than the one I already have?
It's fine. Banks don't expect you to have a lengthy credit history - as long as you've never committed fraud and therefore have a CIFAS marker, then you'll be accepted.

Yes, it's easy. You can do it online in seconds.

Student account best buys: https://www.savethestudent.org/money...-accounts.html

You can open one online, but they might as you to go into branch to provide some identification and proof of address. You should apply now once your firm is now unconditional i.e. you have a confirmed university place.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 8 months ago
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

are you on the electoral roll? if so then hopefully shouldn't be a big issue. It's easy you change it on your sfe online account but you need to do it at least a week before you loan is due in.
username5243714
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
are you on the electoral roll? if so then hopefully shouldn't be a big issue. It's easy you change it on your sfe online account but you need to do it at least a week before you loan is due in.
Yep, I am 95% sure I am on that.

Thank you for your help. I think the loan is due on the 14th of September so it should be fine.
username5243714
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by AnneMarie10)
I think a few banks give out taster cards and discounted railway cards. Not sure which banks do this.
Tbf if you want freebies and free stuff from being a student then download Stunii they have loads of discounts and often do days where they give out free pizza and stuff like that in different cities
Santander has the railcard. Most banks when I looked didn't have any extras.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (95)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (287)
15.14%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (201)
10.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (266)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (83)
4.38%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (109)
5.75%
Loneliness (164)
8.65%
Financial worries (68)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (83)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (90)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (105)
5.54%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (166)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (179)
9.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed