The Student Room Group

Corona Virus second wave

Could a repeat of the Year 13 A-level results day occur next year if there were to be a second wave? What is the possibility that current Year 12s may not sit exams next summer?
Original post by c.hllz
Could a repeat of the Year 13 A-level results day occur next year if there were to be a second wave? What is the possibility that current Year 12s may not sit exams next summer?

If I was the Education Secretary, I would make it so that the current Year 12s would complete exams that contained only AS-level content. It is imperative that we prioritise the psychological well-being of our students as this is the primary contributor towards good grades. More importantly, I would argue that my proposal is simply the right thing to do. I believe that the general consensus from the current Year 12s is that it will become overwhelming when having to revise a lot of content they did not learn in school. On the one hand, I would say that you should take initiative and comprise as many resources as possible, as well as planning out your revision schedule, so that you put yourself in a steady position to take exams. On the other hand, teachers are also important as they provide some degree of accountability towards our students' studies. While revising at home, you are exposed to a lot more distractions, and so your retention time will decrease when you know you can do something else that you perceive to be fun.

All in all, I believe exams should still take place next year, but they should only be comprised of AS-level content. It is rather easy to space students out in an exam hall. In fact, students are naturally placed 1m away from each other from all directions to prevent cheating anyways, and so this is not an issue. I have forgotten everything else I wanted to say because I am listening to good music... now my mind is truly lost.
(edited 3 years ago)
We're really not sure at this stage - but I think they'd probably put some sort of different system into place were it to happen for a second year - part of the struggles we're having now is that they had limited planning time (still not an excuse for the government, but hey ho). Pure speculation on my end, though - we just don't know
Original post by c.hllz

I mean it is possible but I a sure gavin williamson and his boys up at ofqual are developing a different approach should the summer 2021 exams be cancelled.

I think now schools will be expected to do more assessments/mock exams and keep a close eye on student performance

Quick Reply

Latest