Mvgiwara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I just started year 12 this week. Unsure of what I wanted to do in the future, I chose HL Chem, Bio, Econ and SL Eng Lang Lit, Chinese B and Math AA. Now that I have had at least one session with each subject, I'm really starting to doubt my choices.

Firstly, I dont really know what career would require the 3 HL's that I have chosen. I know that Chem and bio would be good for medicine but I believe that HL Math was important to have as well. Furthermore, I dont have any desire to study medicine, nor do I think that I am smart enough for medicine, and to do well in these subjects.

I had my first Econ class today and I felt so uncomfortable the whole time. I have almost no background knowledge around economics and found myself struggling to participate in the class discussions. It seems like everyone in my class has a good understanding about economics already. This really makes me doubt whether I'm suited for HL Econ.

Due to the fact that I didn't have any clear plan for my future, I just picked subjects that I thought were respectable and "smart". I did this because I got 7/7 overall for all subjects except Physical education. I realised that there is no subject that I particularly enjoy or am passionate about, except for Art and parts of Biology. I had also thought about taking HL psych (which interested me) but rejected the idea as I was unsure as to what "good" careers it could lead to, also worrying about the workload for chem,bio and psych together.

So basically, I've been thinking about whether I should try to change my subjects. I feel that I would enjoy Psychology much more than economics (but it's only been one class so I could catch up..) and I have really been thinking about HL Art. However, it seems like HL Art isnt a good choice for someone like me, that isn't 100% sure of my future career path. And economics is a better option for future careers than psych.

Speaking of my future career, the only things I have ever thought before were involved with teaching (a subject at an international school maybe) and maybe a job that was psychology related (crime etc?). But now im not sure of anything. Im completely lost

I would really like any advice to help clear my head and help me go down a road that I will enjoy and be successful in. Thank you for taking your time to read through
Last edited by Mvgiwara; 1 month ago
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi!
I'll try to address some points you mentioned, hope it will help at least a bit!

I'm applying this year for medicine and you don't need HL maths at all, chemistry and biology is definitely enough, only some Cambridge colleges require 3 sciences (chemistry, biology and physics) or 2 sciences + maths.
besides, it isn't like, as you said, 'what career would require this 3 HLs', for some courses no specific subject is required for instance, for others it might be one or two, sometimes three, but it's not very common and usually only at the top unis (like mentioned before Cambridge). so with the subjects you've chosen you can study many different courses - many connected with biology (as those usually require biology/biology and another science), many other science courses might require maths HL though, but probably not all so you still have some choices here. besides, there are many courses which don't require any specific subjects at HL, so you're fine with the choices you have in my opinion.

when it comes to econ, I'm not taking it, but from what I've heard from my friends, it is quite an easy subject and doesn't require any prior knowledge, so even if your classmates know some things already, it doesn't mean you will perform worse than them! if you're not interested in it though, it might be hard to study and have motivation to study the subject for 2 years. from my point of view, if you're at least a bit interested and have motivation to study, you can still get a high grade in econ HL, but it doesn't mean you can't change it, I'd just say it might be unnecessary.

I don't know much about psych since it's not offered at my school, but it seems to me that quite a few people take it with bio (if they intend to study something connected with psychological/behavioural/biopsychological sciences) and many who want to study medicine and take bio, chem HL and another HL subject and SL psych, so I don't think having biology, chemistry and psych HL would be a very hard combo, maybe think about that?
regarding 'careers it could lead to', as I said, it's perfectly fine if one of your HL subjects is not connected with the future career, but still appears interesting to you.

I wouldn't advise taking HL art if you're not sure about doing an art degree, especially that for many of those it isn't required and might not be respected/useful at other courses.

I'm not sure what else I could advise you, but if you have any more questions that I might be able to answer, I'll be more than happy to!

PS. as I said, I'm applying for medicine in october, but I had my doubts as well, for some time, I wanted to study computer science, then geography, then economics and now I'm not 100% if I wanna do medicine or if I'd prefer to do some biological sciences as I realised I don't like chemistry too much or maybe some fashion design course. I think it's quite normal that you're not sure what you wanna do as you didn't experience the careers themselves, sometimes the sole perspective of doing something for the rest of your life seems overwhelming and in fact boring, but you should just choose something that you like the most (although it might not be something you love and are genuinely passionate about).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.46%
No (194)
78.54%

Watched Threads