Can i apply to UK unis whilst i hold a deferral offer to a US uni?

Watch
CheltBoii
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am taking a gap year due to corona meaning i cannot go to uni in the US. The uni has said it will try to be on campus as soon as possible but this could be in the spring, or next year or even after that.
As a backup i was going to apply to UK unis - is this a bad idea? Am i allowed to do this?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's no way for the UK unis (or US ones!) know whether you are applying to the other country, so there's nothing wrong with it
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CheltBoii)
I am taking a gap year due to corona meaning i cannot go to uni in the US. The uni has said it will try to be on campus as soon as possible but this could be in the spring, or next year or even after that.
As a backup i was going to apply to UK unis - is this a bad idea? Am i allowed to do this?
Yep - no reason why not. Only thing to be careful of is sometimes when applying for accommodation you will enter into a contract and could end up needing to find another student to take your place. Equally you need to make a decision before actually enrolling at a uni otherwise you may be liable for fees.
CheltBoii
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Yep - no reason why not. Only thing to be careful of is sometimes when applying for accommodation you will enter into a contract and could end up needing to find another student to take your place. Equally you need to make a decision before actually enrolling at a uni otherwise you may be liable for fees.
Okay. I am not sure if i have enrolled or not since i agreed to go this year but a few days ago was told i couldnt and asked if i wanted to defer. But then in UK you cant apply to other UK unis whilst holding a deferral offer. i am on full financial aid so have no fees to pay(this is due to low income background not scholarship)
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CheltBoii)
Okay. I am not sure if i have enrolled or not since i agreed to go this year but a few days ago was told i couldnt and asked if i wanted to defer. But then in UK you cant apply to other UK unis whilst holding a deferral offer. i am on full financial aid so have no fees to pay(this is due to low income background not scholarship)
When you say you aren't sure if you are enrolled or not, do you mean at the US university or at a UK one?

This is primarily a UK site and I'm not familiar with the fee structures etc. in the US so any advice given really only applies to UK universities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads