sujana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey guys,
Anyone planning to do the autumn alevel exams? If so,how are you planning to revise in this very short time, only about a month. I want a discussion here so I can maybe understand how I am going to pull through this?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey

I'm not planning to do autumn exams, but as a teacher, I think I can give you some tips.

Firstly, bear in mind it's closer to two months than one month. The exams will be in October.

Secondly, you are going to have to work hard, especially if you haven't done anything since March. This means blocking out hours of your day, with your phone and social media off!

I'd recommend going through the spec- RAG everything. You need to be tactical here- focus on amber topics, getting them to green, before tackling anything red. Use flashcards, revision guides and so on. Do lots of individual past paper questions. Make sure all your revision is active not passive.

Do a past paper now, and then another one in about a month's time. If you're not seeing big gains, then you're not putting in enough time, or the time you're putting in isn't productive.

How many subjects are you planning to resit? Which subjects are they?
sujana
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hey

I'm not planning to do autumn exams, but as a teacher, I think I can give you some tips.

Firstly, bear in mind it's closer to two months than one month. The exams will be in October.

Secondly, you are going to have to work hard, especially if you haven't done anything since March. This means blocking out hours of your day, with your phone and social media off!

I'd recommend going through the spec- RAG everything. You need to be tactical here- focus on amber topics, getting them to green, before tackling anything red. Use flashcards, revision guides and so on. Do lots of individual past paper questions. Make sure all your revision is active not passive.

Do a past paper now, and then another one in about a month's time. If you're not seeing big gains, then you're not putting in enough time, or the time you're putting in isn't productive.

How many subjects are you planning to resit? Which subjects are they?
Planning to resit (funny word because I haven't sat any before so technically I am SITTING the exam for a first time) Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I am willing to work hard and my university course doesnt start until October so I have the whole of September free. I plan to catch up with my year 13 course during august and from September I can just practise practise and practise exam papers. And hope for the best that it works I honestly have nothing to lose so why not give myself the chance to prove that I can do better?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by sujana)
Planning to resit (funny word because I haven't sat any before so technically I am SITTING the exam for a first time) Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I am willing to work hard and my university course doesnt start until October so I have the whole of September free. I plan to catch up with my year 13 course during august and from September I can just practise practise and practise exam papers. And hope for the best that it works I honestly have nothing to lose so why not give myself the chance to prove that I can do better?
Ok, being honest, if you are starting a uni course in September, I am not sure you will be able to give that your full attention alongside resitting.

What's your motivation for resitting?
Cloudiii
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’m doing maths and chemistry. I don’t know how I am going to manage tho :/
birights
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
i think i want to resit my AS law exam
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey
Hey

are we able to apply for both october exams and summer resits?

I have biology and chemsitry to tackle but those two behmoths within 2 months and to get an A in both seems unrealistic.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by AlwaysBroke.)
Hey

I have biology and chemsitry to tackle but those two behmoths within 2 months and to get an A in both seems unrealistic.
Yes, but check how the unis you are applying for would view you sitting the exams at different times.
sujana
Rep:
?
Ok, being honest, if you are starting a uni course in September, I am not sure you will be able to give that your full attention alongside resitting.

What's your motivation for resitting?
My course starts in October. I got really bad grades and was downgraded for no reason. So I appealed but I dont think anything is gonna happen. Also I just really want to prove everyone including me that I can do sooooo much better
Last edited by sujana; 11 months ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by AlwaysBroke.)
Hey

You can, but Autumn exams will be free (in most cases) but you're likely to have to pay for re-sits in Summer 2021.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by sujana)
My course starts in October. I got really bad grades and was downgraded for no reason. So I appealed but I dont think anything is gonna happen. Also I just really want to prove everyone including me that I can do sooooo much better
I can understand this, but I really don't think you'll want to deal with resitting exams as your uni course is starting. I would really think about whether it might just be better to focus on starting uni and enjoying that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads