jgcr2019
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was rejected from my firm choice. I have place for philosophy and theology at the University of Exeter but I would like to see if I had other options to study "better courses"?
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jgcr2019)
I was rejected from my firm choice. I have place for philosophy and theology at the University of Exeter but I would like to see if I had other options to study "better courses"?
so Exeter is your insurance choice which is now confirmed? If you want to have a look at courses available in clearing that might help you explore your options. You would have to decline your place at Exeter to be eligible for clearing, however some universities may talk to you beforehand. Good luck with it all!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are not likely to get anywhere better than Exeter for those subjects in clearing. Exeter is amongst the best and if there is anywhere better they wont be in clearing.
jgcr2019
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You are not likely to get anywhere better than Exeter for those subjects in clearing. Exeter is amongst the best and if there is anywhere better they wont be in clearing.
What about changing again to study Econ or Law?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check the Clearing course search
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well where do you think is going to be better. You are not going to find Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Durham or St Andrews in clearing and there isnt really anyone better. Checking the Exeter site they dont have Law or Economics in clearing. For Law at the very top universities you will require LNAT and for Economics Maths A level. Most leading universities will have filled their places for these subjects now. QMUL had filled its spaces for Law hours ago.
LWare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hmm, I guess it might depend on what you mean by "better"? (Classic philosopher question... )
jgcr2019
Rep:
?
(Original post by LWare)
Hmm, I guess it might depend on what you mean by "better"? (Classic philosopher question... )
So you would say the course at Exeter is good?
LWare
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So you would say the course at Exeter is good?
I'd have to look into it--I know a few people who work there who are great! (Tom Roberts and Joel Krueger)

But I meant, what makes a course better or worse might depend on what you want out of it, and what for you makes a course a good one, e.g., what your interests are and how you like to learn. The main thing you might want to look at are (1) what optional/elective modules are available, and which are more interesting to you; and (2) the assessment pattern for the modules.

On the assessment side, this is where there is huge difference between uni rules. Where I've taught in the past, each module was always 50% one essay, 50% 3-hour exam, which is not very flexible. At Kent, there are no exams in Philosophy, so the assessments are based on the kind of module it is and what kind of skills make sense to practice for that particular module topic, etc. Know what I mean?
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi jgcr2019,

Do let me know if you have any questions about Exeter- I appreciate you are looking at other options which is completely fine and is a very sensible thing to do before committing to anything. However, if I can help at all do just let me know!

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
LWare
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok so, yeah for this first year module at Exeter, "Knowledge and Reality" it is 100% exams: 20% practical exam, 80% written exam:
https://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/...0/1/assessment

"Philosophy of Morality", 40% essay, 60% exam:

Takes some digging, etc, but worth knowing as much as possible!
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exeter ranks 3rd for Theology and 6th for Philosophy and all those raked above are not in clearing. In terms of Economics and Law it is ranked 14th and 13th. Exeter doesnt have Economics, Law or Philosophy in clearing for UK or EU students.
MissScarlet24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Simply having a degree in Law or Economics will not guarantee you a job. At uni I saw a large amount of Law students who were pushed into doing the subject and hated it.

Do something you enjoy at a place you feel happy in.
jgcr2019
Rep:
?
(Original post by MissScarlet24)
Simply having a degree in Law or Economics will not guarantee you a job. At uni I saw a large amount of Law students who were pushed into doing the subject and hated it.

Do something you enjoy at a place you feel happy in.
But if I do a Phil and Theology degree will I have the possibility to have a good job?
jgcr2019
Rep:
?
(Original post by LWare)
Ok so, yeah for this first year module at Exeter, "Knowledge and Reality" it is 100% exams: 20% practical exam, 80% written exam:

"Philosophy of Morality", 40% essay, 60% exam:

Takes some digging, etc, but worth knowing as much as possible!
Do you know about the employment outcomes?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But if I do a Phil and Theology degree will I have the possibility to have a good job?
Yes many jobs dont ask for set subjects. You can a course for Law such as solicitor without taking a Law degree. If you are looking at a Law degree most leading universities will now have filled their spaces. You can ring around to see what is available but it is unlikely to be any better than Exeter.
MissScarlet24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It won't prevent you from getting a good job. You need more than a degree to get a good job though- work experience, motivation.
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What was your firm choice beforehand? Were you intending to study philosophy in the first place?

You’re not going to get much better through clearing than Exeter and it’s a very good university. Why would you want to change to Law or Economics? If you look through clearing there, you’re going to get a worse university regardless.

In terms of job prospects, no jobs ask for a specific degree, and a 2:1/first from Exeter will set you up very well.
jgcr2019
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arisapo)
What was your firm choice beforehand? Were you intending to study philosophy in the first place?

You’re not going to get much better through clearing than Exeter and it’s a very good university. Why would you want to change to Law or Economics? If you look through clearing there, you’re going to get a worse university regardless.

In terms of job prospects, no jobs ask for a specific degree, and a 2:1/first from Exeter will set you up very well.
It was LSE and I was going to study History. I am kind of getting that now.
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It was LSE and I was going to study History. I am kind of getting that now.
Ah, that’s quite different then.

Why didn’t you look for a History place through clearing? I’m sure there were lots.

Going between History, Law, Economics and Philosophy in a short period of time is quite crazy — if philosophy appeals then go for that but why not opt for History?

You clearly have decent grades to get an offer from Exeter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.83%
No (179)
78.17%

Watched Threads