JShack
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I received my A-level grades this morning and got A*A*AB in Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Further Maths respectively. My original plan was to apply to colleges in the US at the end of this year to study Chemistry but obviously having my grades downgraded isn't ideal at all. I was wondering if anyone knew the kind of standard that colleges over there look for in terms of A-level grades, particularly the Ivy leagues.
I'm probably going to have to sit a couple of my exams in October anyway but this could be a deciding factor.
Thanks
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JShack)
I received my A-level grades this morning and got A*A*AB in Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Further Maths respectively. My original plan was to apply to colleges in the US at the end of this year to study Chemistry but obviously having my grades downgraded isn't ideal at all. I was wondering if anyone knew the kind of standard that colleges over there look for in terms of A-level grades, particularly the Ivy leagues.
I'm probably going to have to sit a couple of my exams in October anyway but this could be a deciding factor.
Thanks
I'm not very sure about this - very good question.

I'm going to ask around some of the other TSR clearing & applications advisors and see if anyone has any know-how of the US unis and what they might do. :yy:
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks
A*A*A are strong grades if you ignore the B. You will need to sit the SAT anyway, and I believe most Ivy leagues will put more weight on this. There are some organisations which help UK students applying to the US- might be worth asking them for advice!
JShack
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
A*A*A are strong grades if you ignore the B. You will need to sit the SAT anyway, and I believe most Ivy leagues will put more weight on this. There are some organisations which help UK students applying to the US- might be worth asking them for advice!
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply, I’ll definitely look into that.
All of the colleges that I’ve looked at have said that they don’t require the SAT or ACT for applications this year (due to corona virus). So I’d assume that this may put an increased impetus on A-levels? Or is it still worth taking these tests just to register a competitive score?
JShack
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
you can't afford it.
Oh great, thanks for letting me know.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply, I’ll definitely look into that.
All of the colleges that I’ve looked at have said that they don’t require the SAT or ACT for applications this year (due to corona virus). So I’d assume that this may put an increased impetus on A-levels? Or is it still worth taking these tests just to register a competitive score?
I'm afraid I don't know much about the situation this year, so I can't be super helpful.

I would have thought a competitive SAT/ACT score would only help your information.

Can you email the colleges for advice? A*AAB are really good grades- if a US uni doesn't view them this way, that's honestly their loss!
JShack
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I'm afraid I don't know much about the situation this year, so I can't be super helpful.

I would have thought a competitive SAT/ACT score would only help your information.

Can you email the colleges for advice? A*AAB are really good grades- if a US uni doesn't view them this way, that's honestly their loss!
Okay thanks, I’ll definitely consider sitting the ACT/SAT in September. I might also consider sitting my Chemistry or Further Maths A-level as well, but I’d need to think more about that.

I’ve emailed all the unis today so I’ll wait and see what they say.

Thanks a lot for the help.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okay thanks, I’ll definitely consider sitting the ACT/SAT in September. I might also consider sitting my Chemistry or Further Maths A-level as well, but I’d need to think more about that.

I’ve emailed all the unis today so I’ll wait and see what they say.

Thanks a lot for the help.
Good luck, and let me know how you get on!
UELStudentRep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey there!

I'm a fellow American here studying in the UK. My sister is a senior in high school (last year of school) right now and is also applying for college. You are correct that some schools aren't accepting the SAT/ACT this year due to coronavirus but it still wouldn't hurt to take it if you can. Make sure you have a strong personal statement and congratulations on your exam results! I wish you the best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (0)
0%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (1)
100%
I have already dropped out (0)
0%
I'm not a current university student (0)
0%

Watched Threads