The Student Room Group

would my AS level grades affect my chances when applying for university?

^^
i didn’t achieve the best grades and i think i may retake a test in a subject i’ll be dropping when going into A levels so i can have the best amount of ucas points just in case.
but also when applying, do we have to state every one of our AS level grades?
Original post by birights
^^
i didn’t achieve the best grades and i think i may retake a test in a subject i’ll be dropping when going into A levels so i can have the best amount of ucas points just in case.

Yes, you must declare all grades on your application. Failing to do so would be grounds for offers to be revoked.

The best thing to do regarding resits is to discuss with your subject teacher and see what they recommend.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Yes, you must declare all grades on your application. Failing to do so would be grounds for offers to be revoked.

The best thing to do regarding resits is to discuss with your subject teacher and see what they recommend.

okay thank you!
would these grades affect whether or not universities would offer me a place?
and how do i go through the appeal process? my college provided me with a WESS email, is this the correct place to go?
okay thank you!
would these grades affect whether or not universities would offer me a place?
and how do i go through the appeal process? my college provided me with a WESS email, is this the correct place to go?

Universities will look at your whole application when deciding whether to offer you a place, this will include your personal statement, reference, previous grades and predictions, so yes, but in combination with other elements.

To appeal an AS grade? The best people to advise you of the process are your college as this is all dealt with on their end.
Reply 4
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Universities will look at your whole application when deciding whether to offer you a place, this will include your personal statement, reference, previous grades and predictions, so yes, but in combination with other elements.

To appeal an AS grade? The best people to advise you of the process are your college as this is all dealt with on their end.

ah okay thank you. just wondering also, are all schools/colleges supposed to provide a predicted grade? because my college had not told us out predicted grades at all throughout the year but instead used ‘minimum expected grades’. they said it’s not the same so i’m unsure as to what my predicted grades would have been?
Most courses will offer based on 3 A Level grades, so AS Level grades aren't as important for the offer, but obviously they may take them into account
Reply 6
Original post by Interrobang
Most courses will offer based on 3 A Level grades, so AS Level grades aren't as important for the offer, but obviously they may take them into account

what do unis look at in terms of grades in an application? because when i apply they wouldn’t be able to know my a level grades so i assume it would be my AS levels.
so if i was wanting to go to a uni that would need the grades AAB but in my AS i got B, C, D (although i will be wanting to resit this exam) and an E (wanting to appeal for my mock grade on this one as i usually get B’s and C’s), what would the chances be of them offering a place for me?

thanks for your help so far! (:
Reply 7
I’m not sure exactly what grades you’ve got but i know quite a lot of people at school who got offers from unis that we’re considerably higher than their AS grades. E.g offer of AAA with CCC at AS, offer of ABB with BBD at AS, i think someone even maybe got AAA offer with CCD AS grades.

I’m not sure exactly how bothered unis are but from seeing people at school get offers that were so much higher it seems as though they may not be a massive factor in deciding on wether to offer someone a place. I guess not a lot of people do AS levels anymore so that may be why, i think having good UCAS predicted grades that match/are higher than the typical offer for that course is probably more important.
Reply 8
Original post by e2002!
I’m not sure exactly what grades you’ve got but i know quite a lot of people at school who got offers from unis that we’re considerably higher than their AS grades. E.g offer of AAA with CCC at AS, offer of ABB with BBD at AS, i think someone even maybe got AAA offer with CCD AS grades.

I’m not sure exactly how bothered unis are but from seeing people at school get offers that were so much higher it seems as though they may not be a massive factor in deciding on wether to offer someone a place. I guess not a lot of people do AS levels anymore so that may be why, i think having good UCAS predicted grades that match/are higher than the typical offer for that course is probably more important.

oh wow okay that puts things into perspective thank you!
the only problem is, my college doesn’t seem to provide us with predicted grades? but instead with ‘minimum expected grades’ and just asks us what we think we should aim to achieve. so i actually have no idea on what my predicted grades are..
what do unis look at in terms of grades in an application? because when i apply they wouldn’t be able to know my a level grades so i assume it would be my AS levels.
so if i was wanting to go to a uni that would need the grades AAB but in my AS i got B, C, D (although i will be wanting to resit this exam) and an E (wanting to appeal for my mock grade on this one as i usually get B’s and C’s), what would the chances be of them offering a place for me?

thanks for your help so far! (:

Most likely your predicted grades will be the main focus. They are part of the application, so your college will have to do them
Reply 10
Most likely your predicted grades will be the main focus. They are part of the application, so your college will have to do them

okay thanks! i just saw a post about whether autumn exams would have to include all exams or whether we can choose which subjects to take, do you happen to know the answer to this?
okay thanks! i just saw a post about whether autumn exams would have to include all exams or whether we can choose which subjects to take, do you happen to know the answer to this?

Autumn exams is not my area of expertise, but I would check out this thread and the A Level forum - you are not alone https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6602014
^^

Hey mate do you mind if I’m enquire about my AS grades? Don’t wanna just push my way into the convo but I’m curious about the exact same thing and I didn’t want to make an entirely new thread!
Reply 13
Original post by justjas33
Hey mate do you mind if I’m enquire about my AS grades? Don’t wanna just push my way into the convo but I’m curious about the exact same thing and I didn’t want to make an entirely new thread!

hi! yeah of course, go ahead :]
Reply 14
oh wow okay that puts things into perspective thank you!
the only problem is, my college doesn’t seem to provide us with predicted grades? but instead with ‘minimum expected grades’ and just asks us what we think we should aim to achieve. so i actually have no idea on what my predicted grades are..

Yeah honestly i wouldn’t worry about it loads,, just make sure you’ve got an option or 2 with lower grade requirements as a back up,but that basically goes for everyone anyway as you’d need a lower one for your insurance anyway.

Hmm i don’t really know how that works then. They will definitely have to provide you with some form of predicted grades as it’s required for the ucas application, and it is meant to be what they expect you to get/at my school they did basically ask you what you needed for uni and put that down. Are you sure that they don’t provide you with this, you may just not know about it yet as we didn’t know/discuss what are predicted grades would be for ucas until towards the end of doing our application. Or do you know people in years above who have told you?

I would say if you’re unsure try and discuss it with your head of sixth form or whoever the appropriate person at your school would be as predicted ucas grades are pretty important. E.g if you apply somewhere with typical offers of ABB with predicted grades of BBB or say BBC it probably would be a lot harder to get an offer as your application is basically suggesting that you won’t meet the requirements anyway. If you get what i’m saying.
Reply 15
Original post by e2002!
Yeah honestly i wouldn’t worry about it loads,, just make sure you’ve got an option or 2 with lower grade requirements as a back up,but that basically goes for everyone anyway as you’d need a lower one for your insurance anyway.

Hmm i don’t really know how that works then. They will definitely have to provide you with some form of predicted grades as it’s required for the ucas application, and it is meant to be what they expect you to get/at my school they did basically ask you what you needed for uni and put that down. Are you sure that they don’t provide you with this, you may just not know about it yet as we didn’t know/discuss what are predicted grades would be for ucas until towards the end of doing our application. Or do you know people in years above who have told you?

I would say if you’re unsure try and discuss it with your head of sixth form or whoever the appropriate person at your school would be as predicted ucas grades are pretty important. E.g if you apply somewhere with typical offers of ABB with predicted grades of BBB or say BBC it probably would be a lot harder to get an offer as your application is basically suggesting that you won’t meet the requirements anyway. If you get what i’m saying.

hmm yeah i understand, i’ll have to get in contact with my college on this then.
thank you for the help! :]
I’ve got a similar situ as the OP, I got ADE for my AS results, appealing the D and E as I was predicted AAA and got a B in my mocks for the subject I got an E in.
If my appeal (zero clue how it’s gonna work btw) is successful and I get an overall set of grades of ABC at least, would it damage my uni application? I was set on unis such as St Andrews, Exeter, Warwick, Leeds, Lancaster for History....I’m so scared that my AS grades will stop me from getting predicted what I know I can achieve (AAA or A*AB) and will probably mean I don’t get into those unis :/
I’ve got a similar situ as the OP, I got ADE for my AS results, appealing the D and E as I was predicted AAA and got a B in my mocks for the subject I got an E in.
If my appeal (zero clue how it’s gonna work btw) is successful and I get an overall set of grades of ABC at least, would it damage my uni application? I was set on unis such as St Andrews, Exeter, Warwick, Leeds, Lancaster for History....I’m so scared that my AS grades will stop me from getting predicted what I know I can achieve (AAA or A*AB) and will probably mean I don’t get into those unis :/

That's down to your teachers I'm afraid
That's down to your teachers I'm afraid

Oh - so it’s still reasonable/possible to be predicted AAA or A*AB even if you got ABC (if my appeal is successful - might be that, might be higher, might be lower) for my AS?
Oh - so it’s still reasonable/possible to be predicted AAA or A*AB even if you got ABC (if my appeal is successful - might be that, might be higher, might be lower) for my AS?

Yes it's definitely not unheard of, but it will be down to the teachers to make that decision

Quick Reply