The Student Room Group

Does Oxbridge prefer more varied or more homogeneous A-level options?

Say I wanted to apply for a Computer Science course at Oxford or Cambridge—would they prefer that I did 4 STEM A-levels, or 2 STEM A-levels with 2 humanities A-levels? I've heard from some people that it's better to show a variety of skills in your A-levels, and from some others that it doesn't really matter.
Original post by fopdudel
Say I wanted to apply for a Computer Science course at Oxford or Cambridge—would they prefer that I did 4 STEM A-levels, or 2 STEM A-levels with 2 humanities A-levels? I've heard from some people that it's better to show a variety of skills in your A-levels, and from some others that it doesn't really matter.

It doesn't matter, although, you really want to do Maths and FM. You also need to demonstrate interest in computing, CS A level being an obvious choice.

Oxford does not care about "a variety of skills in your A-levels". They only care about academic ability and potential in your chosen course.

You only need three A levels, although Maths + FM makes four reasonable, IMO. Leave yourself some time to do your own computing projects if you're not doing CS A level.

Roger (Oxford Engineering and Computing Science graduate)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
It doesn't matter, although, you really want to do Maths and FM. You also need to demonstrate interest in computing, CS A level being an obvious choice.

Oxford does not care about "a variety of skills in your A-levels". They only care about academic ability and potential in your chosen course.

You only need three A levels, although Maths + FM makes four reasonable, IMO. Leave yourself some time to do your own computing projects if you're not doing CS A level.

Roger (Oxford Engineering and Computing Science graduate)

Thanks. I was intending on Maths and FM as well as Physics, but I was just wondering what I should pick for my fourth option, Chemistry or History. I would probably go with Chemistry if it's just based on enjoyment of the subject, but universities' preferences would also matter to me. That's helpful though—that means I'll probably go with Chemistry if Oxford or Cambridge doesn't care about variety.
Oxford release required, preferred and desirable subjects for each degree. Look there.
Original post by nexttime
Oxford release required, preferred and desirable subjects for each degree. Look there.

For CS, it's only Maths (essential) and FM (recommended) that are mentioned (here).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by fopdudel
Thanks. I was intending on Maths and FM as well as Physics, but I was just wondering what I should pick for my fourth option, Chemistry or History. I would probably go with Chemistry if it's just based on enjoyment of the subject, but universities' preferences would also matter to me. That's helpful though—that means I'll probably go with Chemistry if Oxford or Cambridge doesn't care about variety.

You have three solid choices. Absolutely go for what you enjoy, if you must do a fourth. However, you do need to demonstrate interest in CS, so will need some time for that.

Quick Reply