The Student Room Group

Redoing year 12

I got ABC for my ucas mock grades and I’m not happy with them. I didn’t work as hard as I could in year 12 and I just had no idea as to what exactly I was doing. My teachers were the worst, making us self teach ourselves everything so I’m really considering moving sixth forms and redoing year 12. Do you think that I should? I’m really worried that the same thing that happened to this years year 13 will happen to our year too.
(edited 3 years ago)
No, don't do it. Just work harder in Year 13. AS means very little.
But what if there’s a second wave and I end up having grades decided by the government. My sister received hers today and she was so upset because they weren’t a pure reflection of her.
I’m worried that I won’t work harder in year 13, if my mental health is bad now, it’ll probably be bad then that’s why I’d rather restart but I’m just not sure
There would have to be a nuclear war for them to close schools and cancel exams for a second time. You'll be fine. Just grind in year 13.
Still, there’s a chance there will be a second wave and they’ll have to close schools once again
Original post by Blue_skies124
Still, there’s a chance there will be a second wave and they’ll have to close schools once again

ABC is a really respectable set of mock grades that can get you in to an RG uni if you get them on results day (I would know). There is no need to repeat the year over it at all. If you work hard in year 13 you will likely not have much to worry about, even in the event of a second wave.
we did those exams online which is a completely different thing so I don’t know how I’d do in exam settings
we did those exams online which is a completely different thing so I don’t know how I’d do in exam settings

Deep breaths.
You seem to have gone deep into a rabbit hole of worry and doubt.
Take a moment. Breathe.
Look, whatever hard work you put in this year is likely to show when you finish, regardless of the exam setting and whatever madness is going on in the world at the time. Stick to the philosophy that you get out what you put in, work hard, and you will be fine.
You've got this :heart:
If I want to apply for unis such as kings college, they wouldn’t take me with those grades
That’s why I’m worried
I wanted to do biochemistry or pharmacology but my grades aren’t high enough
I got ABC for my ucas mock grades and I’m not happy with them. I didn’t work as hard as I could in year 12 and I just had no idea as to what exactly I was doing. My teachers were the worst, making us self teach ourselves everything so I’m really considering moving sixth forms and redoing year 12. Do you think that I should? I’m really worried that the same thing that happened to this years year 13 will happen to our year too.

I am in the same position right now I am thinking of redoing year 12 cause this year was absolutely the worsttt
ABC, is still really good- especially for AS. I know someone who got into Nottingham uni with those grades at A-Level. I don't think its worth re-doing the whole year, trust me ALOT of year 12s are feeling the same way. I personally feel like haven't learnt anything since March becos online skl was the worst and I've been trying to catch up during this holiday. I haven't done my mocks yet but i know for a fact ABC is higher than what 70% of my year group will get when we do them as most of them (including myself) haven't really been doing the assignments and work since lockdown and the teachers don't even help, they have just been ignoring our emails and cries for help :frown: Despite this, most of us are still going to continue to year 13, doing yr12 all over again seems like hell... and imagine if the same thing just happens again and we have to go into lockdown again... you u might as well see yr13 through
Reply 11
don’t do it. i got ABC and just accepted my offer which was AAA but i got A*A*A re doing year 12 is seriously a waste of your time and will look worse on your ucas application
You’re right. I’m just worried that the same thing that happened to this years year 13, will happen to my year. How would I go about achieving A stars though. I just feel like my grades are far away from that and if I did redo that would increase my chances of an A star but it’s a lot of effort and stress to place myself in to that situation again
Just make sure you always do your homework to a really good standard, ask the teachers questions, be inquisitive perhaps get them them to mark practice essays for you. IF you did all of that the teachers would have evidence in order to predict you an A* if it did come to that. I know people (yr13s) who were working hard behind the scenes after receiving bad mock grades in November, which was good, however the teachers didn't see the hard work and had no evidence for it so just had to predict them a similar grades to what they got in their mocks. But i know for a fact, that this one girl who got a D on results day (after achieving a D in mocks) would have at least got a B if she had actually done the exam. :frown:
Yh I’m really behind and now I’ve had to isolate because my brother had a cold so now I’ve missed a week off of school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending