The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge while studying at Uni?

So basically I wanted to ask you if this would be a good idea.

As some of you might know I have a place at Kings college london to study Physics and I will be going there this September. No doubt about that.

So basically I got A*A*A with A* in Maths, Physics and Economics respectively. I know it wouldve been a bit stronger if I studied Further Maths instead of Economics.

So my plan is to study at Kings but also apply to study at Cambridge for first year, sit the natural science admissions test and stuff. And also take A level Further Maths next year. Keep in mind that I self studied my A levels.

I wanted to ask you if it would be a good idea to take Further Maths as they might end up giving me a conditional offer instead of unconditional (if they do give me an offer). I am confident about the admissions test and stuff and will start preparing for it from Monday or so.

Do you think it would be a good idea to do this ?Will my uni be able to give me a reference?

Please be kind lol. I know some of you are really harsh but I am willing to take the risk. Thanks!
Are you sure you're allowed to apply to Cambridge while studying at a different uni? You didn't used to be able to do that...
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are you sure you're allowed to apply to Cambridge while studying at a different uni? You didn't used to be able to do that...

Umm yeah you can for first year right? Is that not allowed?
Original post by bored_user:)
Umm yeah you can for first year right? Is that not allowed?

"Can I transfer to Cambridge from another university?

Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.

Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University."

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

(Bold emphasis: mine)

Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.

Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University."

NO I am not transferring. I will apply to Cambridge as normal to study first year. However will be studying at Kings.
NO I am not transferring. I will apply to Cambridge as normal to study first year. However will be studying at Kings.

I know you're not transferring. My point still stands - if you are currently enrolled at another uni at the time of applying to Cambridge, the (filthy) Tabs are highly unlikely to consider your application
I know you're not transferring. My point still stands - if you are currently enrolled at another uni at the time of applying to Cambridge, the (filthy) Tabs are highly unlikely to consider your application

why is that so??
why is that so??

Who knows?! Oxford and Cambridge are weird like that :iiam: Though Oxford being the superior place, they are (a bit) less stringent about applying whilst enrolled at a uni elsewhere :yes:

Sorry to have bursted the bubble :frown:
Who knows?! Oxford and Cambridge are weird like that :iiam: Though Oxford being the superior place, they are (a bit) less stringent about applying whilst enrolled at a uni elsewhere :yes:

Sorry to have bursted the bubble :frown:

let me just email a college and find out?
let me just email a college and find out?

Feel free to, but I doubt you'll get a different answer :no:
So basically I wanted to ask you if this would be a good idea.

As some of you might know I have a place at Kings college london to study Physics and I will be going there this September. No doubt about that.

So basically I got A*A*A with A* in Maths, Physics and Economics respectively. I know it wouldve been a bit stronger if I studied Further Maths instead of Economics.

So my plan is to study at Kings but also apply to study at Cambridge for first year, sit the natural science admissions test and stuff. And also take A level Further Maths next year. Keep in mind that I self studied my A levels.

I wanted to ask you if it would be a good idea to take Further Maths as they might end up giving me a conditional offer instead of unconditional (if they do give me an offer). I am confident about the admissions test and stuff and will start preparing for it from Monday or so.

Do you think it would be a good idea to do this ?Will my uni be able to give me a reference?

Please be kind lol. I know some of you are really harsh but I am willing to take the risk. Thanks!

You can do this but I don’t recommend. You need to contact each college individually as they have different policies regarding applying as a first year student and most of them do not like the idea of pinching students.

Bare in mind:
- that’s an extra 11k+ of debt before you even graduate
- They could still give you a conditional offer ie achieve 2.1/1 at the end of first year
- There’s no way you can get a good reference from a uni you’ve just started
- Consider the repercussions in the occasion that you don’t get in and have to continue at kings, relationship with the uni may be ruined which could affect you in the long term
- You’re going to find it hard studying a whole a level whilst trying to keep up with uni tests
- Your chances of getting in are much lower esp if you get pooled

Honestly if it’s this early on and you’re so sure that that’s the course you want to do, you’re better off taking a gap year, doing something beneficial to you and reapplying as you’d have significantly higher chances. That being said it’s up to you, make sure you’re emotionally prepared to face rejection (if it does happen) because many people apply with achieved grades that exceed the standard offer and still don’t get in.
Original post by Snonflake
- They could still give you a conditional offer ie achieve 2.1/1 at the end of first year
- There’s no way you can get a good reference from a uni you’ve just started
- Consider the repercussions in the occasion that you don’t get in and have to continue at kings, relationship with the uni may be ruined which could affect you in the long term

The first point is false, if you apply to start from scratch at Cambridge, as opposed to transferring, they cannot make an offer based on your current uni results. The second and third points are also false, they don't need a reference from their current uni as this is not a transfer.

And why would their chances of getting in be lower?
Original post by asdfghjklcupcake
The first point is false, if you apply to start from scratch at Cambridge, as opposed to transferring, they cannot make an offer based on your current uni results. The second and third points are also false, they don't need a reference from their current uni as this is not a transfer.

Thank you for this ! This has given me hope!!
Original post by asdfghjklcupcake

- The first point is true, literally happened to me.
- Second point is there’s no way you can get a good reference from a uni you just started still stands. (OP asked “will my uni be able to give me a reference”)
- Third point is true because in order to apply you need to provide evidence that your current uni is aware of your application

Chances of getting in are lower because most colleges simply do not want current first year students, so if you get pooled you’re basically doomed
Reply 14

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/students-at-other-uk-universities

This is really the page you need - no confusion about transferring although the info is exactly the same.

OP - have you thought instead about postgraduate at Cambridge?
Original post by 2500_2
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/students-at-other-uk-universities

This is really the page you need - no confusion about transferring although the info is exactly the same.

OP - have you thought instead about postgraduate at Cambridge?

I have considered cambridge for postgrad but I thought that undergrad would be more prestigious
I have considered cambridge for postgrad but I thought that undergrad would be more prestigious

As you were told initially, this isn't likely to be possible. Cambridge basically don't accept people doing this, except where there is a significant subject change. The reason is that, because of the popularity of Cambridge, students would just strategically apply for other Uni's, do the first year as their + SFE funded year, then move to Cam, obviously with stronger academic profiles than A level students. In effect it creates a back door entry to Camwhile 'stealing' strong students from other UK universities - not a game Cambridge is prepared to play.

The will quite possibly set an academic condition, and they will expect a reference from the uni. And if you are applying to go from Physics to NatSci, unless its a non-phyics track, it's going to be considered the same subject, and so probably not accepted.
Reply 17
Congrats on the excellent grades.

If I were u I would contact Cambridge and ask them if they would consider an application from u while u are at Kings and what the criteria is ? Do this before enrolling at Kings. I say this because it they generally Oxbridge don’t like people applying there when they already at another university unless for totally different unrelated course (As can cause issues between the universities possibly). Say physics to philipsophy or something.

A Level Further Maths is a lot of work. If you do apply Oxbridge it might be an option to take possibly another gap year and do FM and keep sharp on other subjects and do private tutoring or volunteering or a job of some sort.

Best to check with Oxbridge though. Also if you do get a place at Oxbridge you already have to pay an extra £9250 for kings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending