The Student Room Group

Doing a random course to get into my dream uni

Scroll to see replies

Remember that you will have to do whatever course you pick for 3 years, and preferably get a 2:1 or above.

Would you rather do a subject you love at a place you're apathetic towards than a subject you absolutely loathe at a place you love?

This isn't an easy question - plenty of people drop out of their dream unis because they don't like the course or can't cope.
Original post by mnot
So a couple things:
Jobs non-industry related: like finance general grad schemes there is very little difference between engineering & physics
Engineering has a much bigger industry for jobs outside of academia.

If you wanted to be a professional physicist for example you would have to have a physics degree and then go do a PhD, so if you want to consider that path you would be better off finding a physics degree in clearing or sitting the paper and trying for 2021.

If you are not that fussed on working in engineering or physics but want the ability to work in industry or academic research then a degree in engineering from Warwick will be fine.

Also there isnt really any business stuff in an engineering degree, you might have a small amount about project management but it wont be business like, it will be technical.

Thank you for this , this was very informative! It's good to know that unless i want to go into research that the career prospects are the same - you were a big help :smile:
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi @Koala - 2000

As @swanseajack1 mentions, Swansea University does have Physics vacancies though clearing, so if any of these are of interest to you, I would recommend giving us a call on 0800 0949071 to discuss your options :smile:

Physics at Swansea University has been ranked:
1st in the UK for Student Satisfaction (Guardian 2020)
7th in the UK overall (Guardian 2020)

Whatever you decide to do though, I wish you all the very best and I'm sure you will make the best decision for you.

Have a great weekend!
Emily :smile:

Although I'm sure i would've enjoyed Physics at Swansea - It's just a little too far away. Nevertheless I've heard gleaming reports from people whom go there :smile:
Original post by Koala - 2000
Thank you for this , this was very informative! It's good to know that unless i want to go into research that the career prospects are the same - you were a big help :smile:

Sorry I just want to clarify.

For jobs outside of industry, there is little difference.

For jobs in academic research they are similar but to be a professional physicist you need to pursue this path, whereas engineers typically pursue industry but you can also go into academia.

For jobs outside the professional degree such as finance, consulting, corporate grad schemes. Then again there is very little difference between physics & engineering.

Good luck!
Original post by mnot
Sorry I just want to clarify.

For jobs outside of industry, there is little difference.

For jobs in academic research they are similar but to be a professional physicist you need to pursue this path, whereas engineers typically pursue industry but you can also go into academia.

For jobs outside the professional degree such as finance, consulting, corporate grad schemes. Then again there is very little difference between physics & engineering.

Good luck!

Ahh sorry , I did understand your previous post: by research I meant academia - my apologies aha. I think most engineers want to get to chartered status via accredited masters so there's no real need to get a phD. Thank you for the wishes , It's very much appreciated :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending