I'm unhappy in my degree apprenticeship any advice

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've always picked the path best for me in life and when I found out about Degree Apprenticeship it seemed perfect.

I've been working full time and doing my degree with QA. A year in and I don't feel comfortable in the job, I realise that I don't enjoy the form of IT the business does. It's a manufacturing business whereas I've always wanted to work in an IT business.

I notice a lot of my colleagues treating me like I've been in the business forever and know everything, when in fact I'm only 19 and have no experience in this job or the workplace environment. I feel like there's no one I can talk to because they all assume I'm doing fine and I'm the only woman with all men around me. I'm not comfortable with anyone or trusting them with saying how I feel.

Everything is putting a strain on my mind and I constantly feel tired or that I'm trying extra hard at saying positive thoughts to myself. As I should be grateful that I even have a job and a safety net at the end of this experience. When in fact I'm counting down the days for these 4 years to be over and not caring much at all about whether I do good in my degree or not, which is unlike me as I've always aimed high.

I tell my parents I'm not happy but they tell me the same thing, just finish your degree and then do whatever you want. I don't think I'll make it through these next 4 years without having burst of crying and being miserable while faking I'm fine.
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve completed a degree apprenticeship and have some suggestions.

• Request a mentor, perhaps someone of your own choice, preferably somebody senior, and not somebody who you report to (different business function). You will benefit from having a mentor who you can speak to in confidence with your issues.

• if possible, request to rotate around different departments or role types. I rotated every 6 month. This should also make it easier to cover the apprenticeship framework.

• Learn to be ok with not knowing things, you’re there to learn. Concentrate on your successes and celebrate them.

• find something that helps you take a break from studies. Most university student unions will accept degree apprentices as members. It will allow you to connect with other students and join societies. I joined my local universities Union and joint the salsa and hiking society. It became my main way to escape work and studies.

•if after all this you’re still unhappy, talk with your apprenticeship provider and see if it’s possible to relocate you to a different employer.
Last edited by Chris2892; 1 month ago
iNeed2p
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've always picked the path best for me in life and when I found out about Degree Apprenticeship it seemed perfect.

I've been working full time and doing my degree with QA. A year in and I don't feel comfortable in the job, I realise that I don't enjoy the form of IT the business does. It's a manufacturing business whereas I've always wanted to work in an IT business.

I notice a lot of my colleagues treating me like I've been in the business forever and know everything, when in fact I'm only 19 and have no experience in this job or the workplace environment. I feel like there's no one I can talk to because they all assume I'm doing fine and I'm the only woman with all men around me. I'm not comfortable with anyone or trusting them with saying how I feel.

Everything is putting a strain on my mind and I constantly feel tired or that I'm trying extra hard at saying positive thoughts to myself. As I should be grateful that I even have a job and a safety net at the end of this experience. When in fact I'm counting down the days for these 4 years to be over and not caring much at all about whether I do good in my degree or not, which is unlike me as I've always aimed high.

I tell my parents I'm not happy but they tell me the same thing, just finish your degree and then do whatever you want. I don't think I'll make it through these next 4 years without having burst of crying and being miserable while faking I'm fine.
Apprenticeship is really hard and you have to be mentally ready for it. Because of the overly excessive work that needs to be done especially if you’re doing degree apprenticeship. Now that you have finished a year, you’re close. Those pain you’re feeling is going to make you judicious someday who is a head of her age and most definitely going to separate you from the sheep.

For this unprecedented time , you should be thinking like ‘ how do I do my job better?’ Not ’Should I forsake my career just because bunch of idiots giving me hard-time?’
Last edited by iNeed2p; 1 month ago
Ivartheboneless
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You are clearly not happy. It doesn't sound as though it will get any better. You are a year in! You have the rest of your life! You deserve to be happy and to find what you love to do. What do you want to do? I stayed unhappy for years in a job I didn't like with abuse because my parents said we needed the money. You know what it's hard to find another job when you feel like this. Your young, just leave. Your parents wont throw you out. Hand in your resignation (if it's that bad) the correct way explain your difficulties, they might resolve them or offer you an exist strategy. Look-up a career you want and aim for it. Don't box yourself in with a career you don't want. You can still go to University. Your a year in you can switch courses. If you stay you cannot go back to University it's expensive, because you use the years your entitles to.

If you leave and have depression you are not happy go to DR and then can diagnose depression and you can use this a a CPR to change course. Don't stay you are not happy. I have worked for idiots and abusive people, it doesn't get better when you stay somewhere you are unhappy. I have worked hard and stayed late, gone the extra mile in a job i didn't like faking my happiness- waiting to get away one day like you are right now. It doesn't work, people just put on you more and more and they don't want to hear that your not okay, like when people ask if 'you okay?' they only want to hear 'yes'. Discuss options if you leave with student finance, your parents are giving you a one sided view. You need to know all the facts if you leave. You are cheap salary to your employer, they don't care if your unhappy, they might say they do but realistically if its financially difficult to help you then they are going to be biased. Contact student finance or a University for a degree you want to do. Read your contract also before you make a decision. You clearly want to leave, so make it your mission to work out how you leave the best possible way for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (65)
21.59%
No (236)
78.41%

Watched Threads