What happens if you don't pass maths gcse?

Watch
Ivy825
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm not really sure what happens if I fail gcse maths. I honestly think I've read it or been told but I keep blocking it out because I'm nervous of failing.
Lau2en _
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you fail it means that you might not be able to get into uni or sixth form due to not meeting the entry requirements. Depending on the uni, depends how much they care but as long as you pass and aren’t applying to do a maths or science degree you should be fine without a high grade. However, don’t worry about it, you can only do your best
Blue_skies124
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as you pass you’re fine. If you don’t, it does become difficult when applying for unis because they tend to ask how you did even if maths doesn’t relate to your chosen degree whatsoever. If you need any advice please feel free to ask
Mercury Raven
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ivy825)
I'm not really sure what happens if I fail gcse maths. I honestly think I've read it or been told but I keep blocking it out because I'm nervous of failing.
If you fail your maths GCSE, you would probably have to re take it.
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you fail gcse maths, you'll have to repeat it as its compulsory. Depending on your sixth form entry requirements, you may have to appeal to the sixth form or look for other options (assuming you are going for sixth form).
Ivy825
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm going to a college and my other subjects don't need maths but I think I have to resit and I don't know if I have to wait or just do my three as well as maths
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm going to a college and my other subjects don't need maths but I think I have to resit and I don't know if I have to wait or just do my three as well as maths
What do you mean by wait?
In most cases, you go to college and resit alongside doing your a-levels / btecs. This year you'll be able to resit in autumn as opposed to waiting till summer like normal - also, if you resit in autumn, and pass then the original grade will be overwritten.
Mercury Raven
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In order to be accepted by a college or sixth form, you have to have at least five GCSEs, and there are also five GCSEs that you'll have to pass.
These include:
Maths (1 GCSE)
Science
Science (2 GCSEs, or 3 GCSEs if you're doing triple maths)
English Language (1 GCSE)
English Literature (1 GCSE)

If you fail any of the compulsory GCSEs above then you'll have to retake them at some part in your life, if not, then you could appeal for them.
Mercury Raven
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mercury Raven)
In order to be accepted by a college or sixth form, you have to have at least five GCSEs, and there are also five GCSEs that you'll have to pass.
These include:
Maths (1 GCSE)
Science

If you fail any of the compulsory GCSEs above then you'll have to retake them at some part in your life, if not, then you could appeal for them.
3 GCSEs if you're doing triple science****
(that was what I was supposed to type lol. Sorry)
Geraldthegoat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
U have to resit it
Blue_skies124
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My sister got accepted at her college and failed maths but unis tend to reject those that failed. You do get a chance to retake if needed.
Because it’s gcses, it’s easier to do well in it even if you’re not the best at maths. Perhaps do a maths paper once a week and then within ur class the teacher should go through the answers or if your teacher doesn’t do past papers with you, search up videos of the paper explaining it. To truly do well, you need your maths teacher to make you do last papers every week and then going through it. You’ll realise that all of the exam questions are similar.
What exam board are you doing?
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
These include:
Maths (1 GCSE)
Science

where's this from?
Is this from your college or elsewhere?
Mercury Raven
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
where's this from?
Is this from your college or elsewhere?
It was just what I was told back when I was in high school doing my GCSEs.
Anonymous370
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
don't worry, Jesus loves you !
Spoiler:
Show
says someone who got an A* for GCSE Maths back in the days and ended up doing a Maths degree:cool: I just love maths !
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It was just what I was told back when I was in high school doing my GCSEs.
Oh okay. Yh don't worry about this - just focus on what your college requires.
Seanhodgson1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I’m studying a Maths degree (2nd year undergraduate) and I am an online tutor. If you don’t do very well in GCSE Maths I would be happy to help you through Skype. To be honest I have been struggling to find students because of the schools being closed due to the pandemic, if you are interested please let me know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
13.8%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (49)
13.8%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (130)
36.62%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (38)
10.7%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
19.15%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.92%

Watched Threads