The Student Room Group

Decision

I received 3 A's for predicted and the school centre assessment gave me 2Bs and C in Biology, Maths and Chemistry but I recieved 2Ds and a C. I am having Maths go from a D to a B as I got that in mocks but I don't think much is changing. Liverpool medicine gave me an offer and when I called told me they would honor it for the autumn resits to join next year. Clearing allowed keele university to give me an offer in accounting which I'm just as interested in but I'm confused whether to do a retest and maybe get the 3 As for medicine or just go university this year in keele. Would appreciate insights TYSM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jon Li
I received 3 A's for predicted and the school centre assessment gave me 2Bs and C in Biology, Maths and Chemistry but I recieved 2Ds and a C. I am having Maths go from a D to a B as I got that in mocks but I don't think much is changing. Liverpool medicine gave me an offer and when I called told me they would honor it for the autumn resits to join next year. Clearing allowed keele university to give me an offer in accounting which I'm just as interested in but I'm confused whether to do a retest and maybe get the 3 As for medicine or just go university this year in keele. Would appreciate insights TYSM

At the end of the day, it's up to you. I think you definitely shouldn't rush into any decisions, and try to decide whether accounting or medicine is where your passion lies.

I believe (our resident medic) usually says "if you're stuck between medicine and something else, do something else."
Original post by Jon Li

Have you ever had an interest in accounting before? I am not sure I would do a random course just for the sake of it!

If Liverpool are going to give you a deferred offer for next year for Medicine, I would be hugely tempted to resit and at least try for it. Even if you don't get AAA, it will put you in a much better position to apply to other courses?
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Have you ever had an interest in accounting before? I am not sYsure I would do a random course just for the sake of it!

If Liverpool are going to give you a deferred offer for next year for Medicine, I would be hugely tempted to resit and at least try for it. Even if you don't get AAA, it will put you in a much better position to apply to other courses?

Yes I've had an interest in maths and accounting but I wanna know if its worth just going keele this year or try retest and use a year just to try and do accounting in like manchester?
Original post by Jon Li
Yes I've had an interest in maths and accounting but I wanna know if its worth just going keele this year or try retest and use a year just to try and do accounting in like manchester?

If you'd just do accounting elsewhere, I don't think resitting is worth it, no! It would be worth it to potentially get into medicine if that was what you really wanted (IMO).
Reply 5
So if I wasn't dead set on medicine would going to keele for accounting be the right choice? I'm in the middle of thinking its a terrible univeristy and I could do alot better or I should just go and its ok
Original post by Jon Li

Medicine and accounting are very different subjects. Think carefully what you want to do with your life. If you feel medicine is something you really want to do then resit and go next year. How confident are you that you will get the 3As?
Reply 7
Original post by mike23mike
Medicine and accounting are very different subjects. Think carefully what you want to do with your life. If you feel medicine is something you really want to do then resit and go next year. How confident are you that you will get the 3As?

The thing is when I called up Liverpool they told me they would honor my offer and if I got 3 As in the retests in october I would be given a place next year. However, I don't know if I can get 3 As in the period of 1.5 months of revision considering I havent touched a book in a few months. I feel like recieving a medical offer is already a great thing and I should work hard still to try keep going but also don't wanna waste a year
Reply 8
mmm ye I guess so but I always was an A* student but relied on last minute revision. So for GCSE's I got A*s and As and I just feel like I've wasted alot of time trying just because of corona and to just give up and settle here.
Reply 9
Have you ever had an interest in accounting before? I am not sure I would do a random course just for the sake of it!

Ye I think so as well but I feel like 2 months of hard work is difficult and not long enough and I may not have the will power to do it and maybe even get the exact same results I got given. God pray its not worse. Wasting a year just seems painful to me.
Reply 10
Exactly what I mean ofc all medical schools are great but considering their accounting department can give me an offer with my current grades I feel like means its a terrible course. So I have no idea what I want to do and feel like I could do a lot better but also don't wanna waste a year incase I don't
Reply 11
Thank you very much for your help though its helped me think. I think I'll take another think whether to do a resit for all 3 subjects. I think actually recieving the offer was already hard enough so I shouldnt waste the chance I was given
Original post by Jon Li
Ye I think so as well but I feel like 2 months of hard work is difficult and not long enough and I may not have the will power to do it and maybe even get the exact same results I got given. God pray its not worse. Wasting a year just seems painful to me.

You could retake in the summer instead? I think some med schools/unis have said they would still treat this as a first sit.

When do you need to decide about your Keele offer by?
Reply 13
You could retake in the summer instead? I think some med schools/unis have said they would still treat this as a first sit.

When do you need to decide about your Keele offer by?

I asked liverpool and they said no they would only honor my results if I took them this october. I need to decide for keele I think in the next 2 days
Original post by Jon Li
The thing is when I called up Liverpool they told me they would honor my offer and if I got 3 As in the retests in october I would be given a place next year. However, I don't know if I can get 3 As in the period of 1.5 months of revision considering I havent touched a book in a few months. I feel like recieving a medical offer is already a great thing and I should work hard still to try keep going but also don't wanna waste a year

Its a tough call. If medicine is a calling for you then go for the retests in Oct. If you are ambivalent about medicine then go do accountancy at Keele. You can get a private tutor to help with your preparations for the retests. It will not be a waste of a year if you take the retests and still do not get the grades for medicine. It means you will have time to consider your options. The Keele thing seems to be a knee-jerk reaction; do you really want to go to Keele? Do you really want to study accountancy? I have nothing disparaging to ay about Keele or accountancy but it just seems to be a bit rushed for you.
Reply 15
Original post by mike23mike
Its a tough call. If medicine is a calling for you then go for the retests in Oct. If you are ambivalent about medicine then go do accountancy at Keele. You can get a private tutor to help with your preparations for the retests. It will not be a waste of a year if you take the retests and still do not get the grades for medicine. It means you will have time to consider your options. The Keele thing seems to be a knee-jerk reaction; do you really want to go to Keele? Do you really want to study accountancy? I have nothing disparaging to ay about Keele or accountancy but it just seems to be a bit rushed for you.

I would like to do accountancy but not at keele. I don't think the university is that good for it. I'm not very interested in medicine but I've known I'd prefer to do it since year 9
I think doing accountancy at keele would be a panicked decision. You’re only just coming to terms with if you want to do accountancy instead, and you’ve already said you don’t really want to go to keele so it seems like you would be doing a lot of compromising!

I would say keep your medicine offer anyway, do your resits and see how you feel. If you get the grades are you may find you’re suddenly super excited for medicine (ie is it a knock in confidence that has made you rethink your medicine choice), it might not be but resitting and getting the grades gives you more choices + either way you don’t seem happy with the outcome now so think you’re better off resitting, see what you’re results are and make a decision from there.

I know people have said keele is a great uni but IMO it’s not a target at top professional firms, so if you think you’re better than keele don’t settle...
Original post by Jon Li
I would like to do accountancy but not at keele. I don't think the university is that good for it. I'm not very interested in medicine but I've known I'd prefer to do it since year 9

It sounds like you're a bit unsure about your options, so perhaps Keele isn't the right option for you. You could retake, whilst holding your medicine offer, and think more about accountancy/finance type courses too?

Quick Reply

Latest