The Student Room Group

Can't afford accommodation.

A few months back, I stupidly made the mistake of reserving private university accommodation via StudyInn without fully understanding maintenance loans (didn't know they were paid into your account thrice a year, not all at once).

The accommodation that I booked is paid in 4 yearly instalments (one in August, one in September, one in January, and the final one in April), which comes up to a total of around £9100. My past-self had this plan in which my maintenance loan of £8k+ gets paid into my account and would last me at least a few months, which would then give me enough time to work a job and save enough money to pay for the rest.

However, I recently found out that I'm getting just under £3k next month, which leaves me with -£900 after paying for the August and September rent.

I emailed the accommodation provider asking if I could cancel, and that I didn't mind if they kept the £250 deposit I paid, as long as it meant that I was free from the payments, but they said that I could only cancel if:
A) I requested it no less than 10 weeks before the school year
B) I was rejected from the university (which I wasn't)
C) Certain circumstances prevented me from attending the university
D) They find someone to take my place, which isn't guaranteed

Neither of these apply to me, and so I'm now stuck with an accommodation that I KNOW for a fact I won't be able to pay for.

And to rub salt into my already-gaping wound: the university just offered me accommodation which is nearly half the price and has its first instalment of only £2000 all the way in October, which sounds like a dream right now.

What can I do about this? I haven't gone completely through with accepting the accommodation (they still want me to send a passport photo and a letter of acceptance from the university). What'd happen if I just didn't pay and went with the other room instead?

Any help at all would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
by any chance did you sign the lease contract given by them?
Reply 2
Original post by luxrr

Yep, which is why I'm in a tough position right now.
I wanted to sign it as soon as possible as I was afraid of losing my spot.
Reply 3
hmm. I was in a similar spot a few months back with private accomodation too but I had cancelled early. you could try contacting the University you plan to attend and see if they can lend a helping hand, if not maybe someone will take up that accomodation spot. best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by luxrr
hmm. I was in a similar spot a few months back with private accomodation too but I had cancelled early. you could try contacting the University you plan to attend and see if they can lend a helping hand, if not maybe someone will take up that accomodation spot. best of luck!

Thank you! My next plan of action would definitely be to contact the university and see if anything can be done. Thanks for the wishes, I hope so too :smile:
Original post by Piomat200
A few months back, I stupidly made the mistake of reserving private university accommodation via StudyInn without fully understanding maintenance loans (didn't know they were paid into your account thrice a year, not all at once).

The accommodation that I booked is paid in 4 yearly instalments (one in August, one in September, one in January, and the final one in April), which comes up to a total of around £9100. My past-self had this plan in which my maintenance loan of £8k+ gets paid into my account and would last me at least a few months, which would then give me enough time to work a job and save enough money to pay for the rest.

However, I recently found out that I'm getting just under £3k next month, which leaves me with -£900 after paying for the August and September rent.

I emailed the accommodation provider asking if I could cancel, and that I didn't mind if they kept the £250 deposit I paid, as long as it meant that I was free from the payments, but they said that I could only cancel if:
A) I requested it no less than 10 weeks before the school year
B) I was rejected from the university (which I wasn't)
C) Certain circumstances prevented me from attending the university
D) They find someone to take my place, which isn't guaranteed

Neither of these apply to me, and so I'm now stuck with an accommodation that I KNOW for a fact I won't be able to pay for.

And to rub salt into my already-gaping wound: the university just offered me accommodation which is nearly half the price and has its first instalment of only £2000 all the way in October, which sounds like a dream right now.

What can I do about this? I haven't gone completely through with accepting the accommodation (they still want me to send a passport photo and a letter of acceptance from the university). What'd happen if I just didn't pay and went with the other room instead?

Any help at all would be appreciated :smile:

Have you posted this before?
Assuming you didnt pay, then they would prusuue you for the money with debt collectors and wreck your credit rating. They cant get money you dont have. The error is yours though.

In any event you could get the uni to reject you.

Alternatrively fiind a replacement. You could in theory make a commission for a finders fee or gobe the dep[ost as a gift.
Reply 6
Thank you! My next plan of action would definitely be to contact the university and see if anything can be done. Thanks for the wishes, I hope so too :smile:

don't worry, you'll be fine. again good luck.
Original post by 999tigger

Ye - this was posted a few weeks ago :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Ye - this was posted a few weeks ago :smile:

Hello.
It stood out., think it made me spit my tea so to speak at the time.
Reply 9

I just found out you can ask the University for a short term loan, that might have to be your plan of action.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Assuming you didnt pay, then they would prusuue you for the money with debt collectors and wreck your credit rating. They cant get money you dont have. The error is yours though.

In any event you could get the uni to reject you.

Alternatrively fiind a replacement. You could in theory make a commission for a finders fee or gobe the dep[ost as a gift.

No, I haven't posted this before

Yeah, I don't have any money at the moment, but I will next month from my maintenance loan, I'm afraid that they'll just clear whatever I have on there regardless of what happens seeing as they already have my bank info from when I paid the deposit.

I definitely don't wanna go to the extreme of making the university reject me just yet, but I am aware that's a last-resort option.

And yeah, that's what I meant in the 'D)' I mentioned; if I'm able to find someone to take my place, I would be released, but how could I do that? I don't know any real-life friends who are even going to the city I'm planning to study in, and I doubt someone online is gonna trust me to secure them a place to live when they can search for one themselves.

I am aware that it's business and that it's their job, but it's sucky that they refuse to try anything for me when they know that I'll be struggling if I live there.

Im gonna try to write to the university now and see if they have any advice, although they'll probably just tell me the same thing StudyInn said: "you agreed to the contract, you have to go through with it now", but I'll hope for the best.

Thank you for the response :smile:
No, I haven't posted this before

Yeah, I don't have any money at the moment, but I will next month from my maintenance loan, I'm afraid that they'll just clear whatever I have on there regardless of what happens seeing as they already have my bank info from when I paid the deposit.

I definitely don't wanna go to the extreme of making the university reject me just yet, but I am aware that's a last-resort option.

And yeah, that's what I meant in the 'D)' I mentioned; if I'm able to find someone to take my place, I would be released, but how could I do that? I don't know any real-life friends who are even going to the city I'm planning to study in, and I doubt someone online is gonna trust me to secure them a place to live when they can search for one themselves.

I am aware that it's business and that it's their job, but it's sucky that they refuse to try anything for me when they know that I'll be struggling if I live there.

Im gonna try to write to the university now and see if they have any advice, although they'll probably just tell me the same thing StudyInn said: "you agreed to the contract, you have to go through with it now", but I'll hope for the best.

Thank you for the response :smile:

Advertise aroundf uni, on the internet on student spare room.
They dont care.
If it was uni owned accommodation they are normally a bit more lenient.
Reply 12
Original post by luxrr

Hello again! Sorry for the mistake.

To my own surprise: no, I didn't sign a lease, in fact, I don't even have my room number yet as I didn't fully complete the check in confirmation.

However, I did agree to their terms of service, which does include the cancellation policy.

IDK if this changes much but yeah, I didn't sign a lease contract.
Reply 13
Hello again! Sorry for the mistake.

To my own surprise: no, I didn't sign a lease, in fact, I don't even have my room number yet as I didn't fully complete the check in confirmation.

However, I did agree to their terms of service, which does include the cancellation policy.

IDK if this changes much but yeah, I didn't sign a lease contract.

hi there. I'd read the terms and services again to see if there is anything binding you to the accomodation and take it from there.
Reply 14
Could your family help you in any way financially and you could pay them back later?

Quick Reply

Latest