Terrible A Level Results -- Rejected from firm and insurance.

Watch
kayani002
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I got a CCD in maths, computer science, physics and a C in my EPQ…

I was rejected from both firm and insurance for Aerospace Engineering. (firm Sheffield and insurance Surrey) and honestly am gutted. Swansea have offered me a place through clearing but I don't know if that's the right place for me.

I think I will retake... but I don't think ill be able to revise physics in 2 months. Any advice? I haven't done any physics since March. But I HAVE done a bit of maths.

I would really appreciate some advice on how to turn these terrible grades around in resit.

I think I really want AAA or maybe even an A* some day. I have never seen higher than a grade B in any exam during my time at college.
Last edited by kayani002; 1 month ago
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChAoTiC_M1Nd)

I was rejected from both firm and insurance for Aerospace Engineering. (firm Sheffield and insurance Surrey) and honestly am gutted. Swansea have offered me a place through clearing but I don't know if that's the right place for me.

I think I will retake... but I don't think ill be able to revise physics in 2 months. Any advice? I haven't done any physics since March. But I HAVE done a bit of maths.

I would really appreciate some advice on how to turn these terrible grades around in resit.

I think I really want AAA or maybe even an A* some day. I have never seen higher than a grade B in any exam during my time at college.
Sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you hoped for If you are set on doing the autumn exams then I would post in the Study Help forums
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What were your predicted grades? If there's a significant difference, then I'd appeal. Depending upon where you live, that may not be immediately possible though.

Sorry, but your lack of / reduced study since March will impact any exams that you sit this year. Even if you'd got the grades, it would have hit you when you started at university. I did recommend that students continued to study, but I doubt that many did. Whilst factual, I appreciate that this doesn't help you now, but might in future.

How much effort did you put in to get Bs? AAA doesn't sound feasible, but I'd be really happy for you if you can prove me wrong. Start now, and focus on the work - wherever you end up, understanding your subjects better will always be worthwhile. Good luck.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Why go through the trouble of re-studying when Swansea are offering you a place for the exact same degree that's professionally accredited?

It won't matter what university you went to honestly, you'll even find university is mostly a waste of time!
mike23mike
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Please don't discount the offer from Swansea - it's a decent uni (as good as Surrey). You state you have never achieved more than a grade B so how realistic is it to expect to get AAA? Especially since you did not finish the syllabus before lockdown, have not looked at any physics either. And the exams are in Oct.

I would take the place at a decent uni like Swansea and move on with your life.
kayani002
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
What were your predicted grades? If there's a significant difference, then I'd appeal. Depending upon where you live, that may not be immediately possible though.

Sorry, but your lack of / reduced study since March will impact any exams that you sit this year. Even if you'd got the grades, it would have hit you when you started at university. I did recommend that students continued to study, but I doubt that many did. Whilst factual, I appreciate that this doesn't help you now, but might in future.

How much effort did you put in to get Bs? AAA doesn't sound feasible, but I'd be really happy for you if you can prove me wrong. Start now, and focus on the work - wherever you end up, understanding your subjects better will always be worthwhile. Good luck.
My initial predictions for my UCAS application were ABC with an A in my EPQ… however, The centre assessed grades i got were CCC with a D in my epq… although in the end, I got CCD with a C in my epq :/
kayani002
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
Please don't discount the offer from Swansea - it's a decent uni (as good as Surrey). You state you have never achieved more than a grade B so how realistic is it to expect to get AAA? Especially since you did not finish the syllabus before lockdown, have not looked at any physics either. And the exams are in Oct.

Swansea mentioned that they would be happy to let me defer this offer. Maybe I can try my best at the autumn exams and if they go pear-shaped, i can just go to swansea
kayani002
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)

I really am confident that if we went ahead and done exams, I would have gotten B’s
mike23mike
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I really am confident that if we went ahead and done exams, I would have gotten B’s
Do you think you will still get BBB with the exams a few weeks away?
What grades do you need to get into Sheffield?
kayani002
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)

But hey maybe i can do maths in october then i can sit physics in summer 2021?
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi ChAoTiC_M1Nd,

Really sorry you haven't got into your first choice!

Obviously you've got to do what feels right but you've chosen a great course to potentially do at Swansea. Our graduates have gone on to graduate and work at huge companies such as Rolls Royce, Airbus, BAE Systems, GE Aviation, Royal Air Force and Jaguar Land Rover and more. There's also the year in industry/year abroad option which is great to really immerse yourself.

If you do end up opting for Swansea and there is anything in particular you need to know or you're worried about please send feel free to ask anything!

Thanks,

Beth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (57)
26.27%
Less motivated (160)
73.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed