The Student Room Group

Sqa Appeals

Anyone know if u can still appeal, even with teacher estimates? I got a B for design and manufacture and got an A in the prelim, so did my friend. We both got 68% which still counts as an A but I still received a B from teacher estimates. I’m confused cause the grades relying on mainly the prelim cause they didn’t count the folio assessments when considering estimates.
AFAIK, the only adjustments that can be made to grades now are those which resulted from administrative errors.
Sorry.
Reply 2
Original post by Sargeant12344
AFAIK, the only adjustments that can be made to grades now are those which resulted from administrative errors.
Sorry.

Ah ok, thanks. Where did u hear this?
Original post by LaurynC99
Ah ok, thanks. Where did u hear this?

I think it was from an email my school sent out - if you so will, I can dig it up for you.
I got this from another user from the SQA Post Certification Review document which you can find online.

Changes to estimates
Although we do not anticipate any need for you to amend the original estimates you submitted, we recognise that in some rare and exceptional cases, you may discover that an error has been made by your centre in submitting a candidate’s estimate or entry information.This may be an administrative error, or an academic error identified through your internal appeals process. This includes any errors detected which are the result of bias, including where following your own review you believe that a candidate has been subject to discrimination by your centre, especially in relation to your responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010. If you have identified an error, you can email [email protected] for more information and to request a ‘Late Estimate Amendment’ form. You must submit the form to us by 31 August 2020.

So it can be done (I had my Maths changed due to an obvious and genuine admin error), but you need to convince your school there could have been an error in their grade estimate to do an internal appeal to see if they have enough strong evidence to request a change to an A. A borderline A at prelim is only one piece of evidence and won't be enough alone to appeal a grade, you would need much stronger evidence. The school will need to use all the evidence they have to support a grade such as class assessments/tests, report cards, class work, any coursework/folios not just the prelim.

If your school won't agree to look into it I don't think you can do anything.
Original post by LaurynC99
Anyone know if u can still appeal, even with teacher estimates? I got a B for design and manufacture and got an A in the prelim, so did my friend. We both got 68% which still counts as an A but I still received a B from teacher estimates. I’m confused cause the grades relying on mainly the prelim cause they didn’t count the folio assessments when considering estimates.

With the changes that were announced earlier this week (i.e. that you teacher estimates would now be used for anyone downgraded), the original plans for appeals have been superseded...However, I do think from what they said that there are plans for something to be put in place where you want to appeal the grade your teacher estimated (different from the administrative errors mentioned above). I've not seen any detail about this yet, but based on a statement from the SQA on Tuesday, I'd expect some more news on that soon. In the mean time, speak to your school & let them know so they can start bringing any evidence together :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Sargeant12344
I think it was from an email my school sent out - if you so will, I can dig it up for you.

yeah, that’d be great thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending