vickkyyxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do I stand a chance to get accepted into a 'Magic Circle'? even if my uni is not part of Russel group?
Or they look at the grades more than unis? Therefore if I will be able to get a first with good work experience, do I stand a chance or is it decided purely based on what uni I go to?
Euphoria101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Johnny ~
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your grades and experience will count more than your uni, but some may be more snobbish.

The problem with not going to a better uni is it’ll be harder to be exposed to the top firms and opportunities. Most will visit and focus on the RGs as that’s where they expect most to go.

You’ll need to work a lot harder and do a lot more on your own back; coupled with subpar grades, it’s a difficult route.
Copasetic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Magic circle will care about A levels as well as uni. The university’s they select from will be top unis and on the whole firsts. They will reject less than AAA at a level. Then there will be a while lots of big city firms who will be looking for 2.1s + from good unis again often rejecting less than AAA. I hear they have so many applications they have to sift some out. Then there are high street firms. Again a 2.1 would hold you in good stead but a 2.2 would be a possibility and lower A level grades would not be a stumbling block. Don’t underestimate how hard it is to get a training contract.
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hyde69)
Magic circle will care about A levels as well as uni. The university’s they select from will be top unis and on the whole firsts. They will reject less than AAA at a level. Then there will be a while lots of big city firms who will be looking for 2.1s + from good unis again often rejecting less than AAA. I hear they have so many applications they have to sift some out. Then there are high street firms. Again a 2.1 would hold you in good stead but a 2.2 would be a possibility and lower A level grades would not be a stumbling block. Don’t underestimate how hard it is to get a training contract.
Why would they reject less than AAA if some of them 'only' require ABB? Or AAB?
Copasetic
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean the law firms will reject all applications for TCs under AAA. They do it just because they have to reduce their numbers somehow.
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean the law firms will reject all applications for TCs under AAA. They do it just because they have to reduce their numbers somehow.
...I just disagree wholeheartedly
Copasetic
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t know magic circle firms asking for AAB or ABB. I’m sure if they ask for this then they wouldn’t. I work for a city firm and newly qualified. We were always told this and I think all the TCs I applied for said AAA and I’ve never been interested in Magic Circle.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vickkyyxx)
Do I stand a chance to get accepted into a 'Magic Circle'? even if my uni is not part of Russel group?
Or they look at the grades more than unis? Therefore if I will be able to get a first with good work experience, do I stand a chance or is it decided purely based on what uni I go to?
Your grades (Degree results & A-levels) will matter more than your actual uni. It will not make a difference whether your uni is part of the RG.

Certain universities have a stronger track record when it comes to students obtaining a MC training contract. This is mostly because:

1) Generally, the stronger and more academically gifted candidates are much more likely to study at these universities.
2) Students at these universities are more likely to satisfy A-Level requirements.
3) These universities are more targeted by MC firms.
Last edited by RV3112; 1 month ago
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t know magic circle firms asking for AAB or ABB. I’m sure if they ask for this then they wouldn’t. I work for a city firm and newly qualified. We were always told this and I think all the TCs I applied for said AAA and I’ve never been interested in Magic Circle.
That’s incorrect. You can easily grade cutoffs for all London firms and perhaps 1 has AAA - AAB will be more than fine for 99% of them.
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this is incorrect. even my uni's mediocre careers service was careful not to discourage people who only just met the cut-off from applying. there are lots of people at City firms with AAB/ABB/etc
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
‘I’m sure if they ask for this then they wouldn’t’
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.41%
Less motivated (91)
74.59%

Watched Threads