zztrilla56
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m currently debating whether or not to get a gaming laptop for university next year. I would like to use it for both uni work and gaming in my free time. I’m looking to get a laptop for uni anyway so I just thought maybe a gaming laptop could do both jobs?

(not looking for pc as i want something portable)
username5177602
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by zztrilla56)
I’m currently debating whether or not to get a gaming laptop for university next year. I would like to use it for both uni work and gaming in my free time. I’m looking to get a laptop for uni anyway so I just thought maybe a gaming laptop could do both jobs?

The problem with most gaming laptops is that they are often too big heavy to carry around all day and often don't have long enough battery life. If you'll be doing a course which needs access to intensive software like CAD, it's a worthy compromise. However, if you just want it for gaming, it might be worth just getting a normal, non-gaming laptop now and getting either a secondary gaming laptop that stays at home most of the time or a desktop depending on what your budget is.

Fill this form out so we can make more suitable recommendations.
Last edited by username5177602; 2 months ago
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A gaming laptop is too heavy and big to carry to uni, trust me. I used an ipad instead and kept my laptop in my flat because it would be too easy to get it damaged.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by zztrilla56)

There's a triangle of factors when it comes to choosing a new laptop; Powerful, affordable, and lightweight- you get to pick two.

There are gaming laptops that can be considered light enough to be easily portable, they just cost more than similarly spec'd ones that don't prioritise form factor, so it depends on what your budget is and what you consider portable. Even if you don't want to pay for the premium 1.5-1.8kg laptops that are definitely within the definition of lightweight, just not ultraportable, you can find "chunky" 2.2-2.4kg gaming laptops that are about the same size as the regular 15" laptops most of us were carrying to uni everyday without issues as little as five years ago without much of a price premium.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The guys above have fairly outdated information because a lot of these compromises have been solved within the last few generations. You can get gaming laptops now which are fairly portable and have good battery life. The Zephyrus G14 is one of the best at the moment, alongside other current generation AMD based laptops. Intel laptops tend not to have as good battery life or performance but some are still pretty decent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads