Leaving clearing if appeal goes through

Watch
blurrered
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am currently in Clearing as I did not meet UCL's offer requirements and have put Southampton as my choice, but I have submitted an appeal for one of my grades, and there's a chance I can get into UCL if it goes through. If I meet the offer and then cancel my clearing choice, would I still be able to take my place at UCL or is the offer nullified after you enter clearing?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by blurrered)
I am currently in Clearing as I did not meet UCL's offer requirements and have put Southampton as my choice, but I have submitted an appeal for one of my grades, and there's a chance I can get into UCL if it goes through. If I meet the offer and then cancel my clearing choice, would I still be able to take my place at UCL or is the offer nullified after you enter clearing?
In order for the uni to hold your place you MUST contact them. Although if you have self-released rather than been rejected from both then it might different as you have effectively given up your place (rather than the uni not accepting you)... SarcAndSpark what do you think?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You need to speak to UCL and find out if they ll hold your place or not.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You need to contact UCL and see if they will hold your place. I know they are doing this for other students, so hopefully they will do this for you as well!
(Original post by Interrobang)
In order for the uni to hold your place you MUST contact them. Although if you have self-released rather than been rejected from both then it might different as you have effectively given up your place (rather than the uni not accepting you)... SarcAndSpark what do you think?
I think OP's been rejected, rather than self-released, so I don't think that applies. It's fine to accept a clearing choice whilst appealing AFIAK.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
You need to contact UCL and see if they will hold your place. I know they are doing this for other students, so hopefully they will do this for you as well!

I think OP's been rejected, rather than self-released, so I don't think that applies. It's fine to accept a clearing choice whilst appealing AFIAK.
Sorry, I meant if they had had to self-release from their insurance as well to go into Clearing
Isha Hussain
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Exactly, same thing happened to me. I’m going to contact them to see what they say because I don’t think it’s fair because we might get the grades they want us to get.
blurrered
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)

I phoned them earlier today and they said that they will re-consider after/if the appeal goes through, so I'm assuming they are holding my place.
On ucas it said "unsuccessful", dunno if that's equivalent to rejected though.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I phoned them earlier today and they said that they will re-consider after/if the appeal goes through, so I'm assuming they are holding my place.
They can reverse that and update UCAS their end to accept you if needed
blurrered
Rep:
?
Sorry, I meant if they had had to self-release from their insurance as well to go into Clearing
Yh I self-released, but I'm not sure if that will mean I cannot accept the original offer if i was to achieve the grades
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yh I self-released, but I'm not sure if that will mean I cannot accept the original offer if i was to achieve the grades
If the uni has confirmed that they will accept you (do you have that in writing?) then it could be possible (maybe by you adding them in Clearing)
blurrered
Rep:
?
They can reverse that and update UCAS their end to accept you if needed
I see, thank you. I'm stressing a bit too much over this lol
blurrered
Rep:
?
If the uni has confirmed that they will accept you (do you have that in writing?) then it could be possible (maybe by you adding them in Clearing)
It was more of a verbal agreement, plus ucl doesn't do clearing so i dont think i can add it to my choices
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It was more of a verbal agreement, plus ucl doesn't do clearing so i dont think i can add it to my choices
Best to ask for email confirmation. While they don't do Clearing in the traditional sense, they will have a way to accept you if it goes that way
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Isha Hussain)
Exactly, same thing happened to me. I’m going to contact them to see what they say because I don’t think it’s fair because we might get the grades they want us to get.
The uni should keep a place open for you, but you do need to let them know- otherwise they may fill the course with clearing applicants.
Yes, they won't change the decision on UCAS. Get the confirmation they will re-consider after appeal in writing though, and ask how long you have to get appealed grades to them. It won't be indefinite.

I don't think it matters, but I may be wrong on this! It only matters if they released themselves from that uni offer, I think.
Isha Hussain
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sarc and spark , for my course they are not in clearing , so I’m hoping I will get my original place back after appealing!!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Isha Hussain)
Sarc and spark , for my course they are not in clearing , so I’m hoping I will get my original place back after appealing!!
Even so, you still need to speak to them so that they know they need to potentially hold a place for you and take this into account. If the course is really already filled and has strict limits on student numbers (e.g. due to placements), they may have to offer you a deferred place instead.
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Did you guys get into UCL? How did it go?
blurrered
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by curiousperson123)
Did you guys get into UCL? How did it go?
Yup! luckily after we got teacher assessed grades I met the requirements and I'm enrolled now. Isn't the same feeling as if I'd done the exam, but hey, made it in the end xD
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yup! luckily after we got teacher assessed grades I met the requirements and I'm enrolled now. Isn't the same feeling as if I'd done the exam, but hey, made it in the end xD
Awww im happy for you! Good luck 😀
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads