The Student Room Group

South asian parents in the UK

They should understand that we are not growing up in the same country they did.

I get their strict because they want to protect us
But so is every parent - all parents want to protect their kids
the way south asian parents go about it is so wrong
and I HATE the gender stereotypes
I hate how they have my future already planned out
I hate how I have no choice

disclaimer: I know not all south asian parents are extremely strict, I am basing this on my personal experience.

I feel so restricted and behind in life I have barely experienced anything, and I don't think I ever will...

Scroll to see replies

Bro just tell yourself it is what it is. It's just a thing you can't change and you have to look at the positive aspect from it, as in, they love you and want (from their perspective) the best for you. They aren't doing anything for you for their own benefit, they are trying to raise you as a good human and yes maybe you won't like things that they do, don't we all! However, stay strong and don't let this get to you! I promise you, as you grow older, you will realise how much they did for you and wish to have some of that immense affection again but it would be too late because you would be all grown with your own family and kids. Enjoy these small moments and don't focus on the things they do or think wrong. <3
Reply 2
Original post by itz_.vik
Bro just tell yourself it is what it is. It's just a thing you can't change and you have to look at the positive aspect from it, as in, they love you and want (from their perspective) the best for you. They aren't doing anything for you for their own benefit, they are trying to raise you as a good human and yes maybe you won't like things that they do, don't we all! However, stay strong and don't let this get to you! I promise you, as you grow older, you will realise how much they did for you and wish to have some of that immense affection again but it would be too late because you would be all grown with your own family and kids. Enjoy these small moments and don't focus on the things they do or think wrong. <3

ok thanks.
How old are you ? What have they got mapped for you ? What are they forcing you to do ?
Reply 4
Lol trust me. Arab parents are the same, some are worse. My mum is Arab and she tries so hard to constrict me from living the life of a normal young person, she hates western life. She thinks it's the work of the devil.:ms:

When I was younger and swore by accident, or challenged her authority, she would almost beat the life out of me!:grumble:

But my dad is European and he could not care less, what I do.

It's very backwards,
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
How old are you ? What have they got mapped for you ? What are they forcing you to do ?

I am 17 about to do my final year of a levels.
They have told me what unis I will be applying for and what courses I will be doing.
After uni I will try to get a job at an investment bank or accountant
Then I will get married and my dad will no longer control what I will do instead it will be the husband - that's what my parents say but I could never let that last part happen I will run away I they make me get a forced marriage lol but anyways that's their plan.
Reply 6
Original post by Noreaga
Lol trust me. Arab parents are the same, some are worse. My mum is Arab and she tries so hard to constrict me from living the life of a normal young person, she hates western life. She thinks it's the work of the devil.:ms:

When I was younger and swore by accident, or challenged her authority, she would almost beat the life out of me!:grumble:

But my dad is European and he could not care less, what I do.

It's very backwards,

Yesss your mum and my parents think the same. Must be nice having a chill dad though.
Reply 7

This is complete and utter waffle.:blah:
Reply 8
They have told me what unis I will be applying for and what courses I will be doing.
Then I will get married and my dad will no longer control what I will do instead it will be the husband - that's what my parents say but I could never let that last part happen I will run away I they make me get a forced marriage lol but anyways that's their plan.

respect your parents idiot
Reply 9
Original post by Noreaga
This is complete and utter waffle.:blah:

Says the white.
Yesss your mum and my parents think the same. Must be nice having a chill dad though.

Yeah, my dad is European, and lived a rather wild teenage life. So he is very laid back. But my mum was raised in a very pious and conservative household. So she is the complete opposite.

I genuinely hope you find freedom from your parents!

And don't pay attention to the above troll. they are seeking a reaction!

Tough situation.
Is fine if YOU actually want to apply to those courses at those unis.

If not then could regret it.

They have your interests at heart but to them only certain career professions are acceptable to them. What do you want to study at uni and where do u want to apply ? Is there a teacher you can talk to or an adult ?

Hush your mouth the person doesn’t have to settler for anything. It’s there life they can do what they want without being suffocated by over protective parents
Original post by Noreaga
Yeah, my dad is European, and lived a rather wild teenage life. So he is very laid back. But my mum was raised in a very pious and conservative household. So she is the complete opposite.

I genuinely hope you find freedom from your parents!

And don't pay attention to the above troll. they are seeking a reaction!

thank you :smile: and yes they have commented on my other posts the same thing lol.
Tough situation.
Is fine if YOU actually want to apply to those courses at those unis.

If not then could regret it.

They have your interests at heart but to them only certain career professions are acceptable to them. What do you want to study at uni and where do u want to apply ? Is there a teacher you can talk to or an adult ?

I wanted to study engineering at either Cambridge or imperial (of course there are other unis I was going to apply to as well but those where the aim) I know they are very competitive which is a reason they used against me to not choose it as it is unlikely I will get in. I haven't spoken to any of my teachers in months because of lockdown and no school. Also I doubt my parents would listen to my teachers due to their stubbornness.
Strict parents = sneaky kids my parents learnt the hard way... they became less strict with my younger siblings and I because the older ones were too secretive and forbidden to do stuff making them wanting to do it whereas we don’t because we are allowed to do the stuff they weren’t. Now I have free choice to do whatever I want when it comes to drinking, relationship etc but that’s because I am mature. They need to let u live your life, it’s all about making mistakes and learning from them, accepting consequences and taking responsibility for your actions. I agree strictness when you’re child is crucial because your vulnerable but once u turn 16 they should chill out a bit.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Geraldthegoat
Strict parents = sneaky kids my parents learnt the hard way... they became less strict with my younger siblings and I because the older ones were too secretive and forbidden to do stuff making them wanting to do it whereas we don’t because we are allowed to do the stuff they weren’t. Now I have free choice to do whatever I want when it comes to drinking, relationship etc but that’s because I am mature. They need to let u live your life, it’s all about making mistakes and learning from them, accepting consequences and taking responsibility for your actions. I agree strictness when you’re child is crucial because your vulnerable but once u turn 16 they should chill out a bit.

I am 17 and they have a whole marriage plan for me but thanks :smile:
I wanted to study engineering at either Cambridge or imperial (of course there are other unis I was going to apply to as well but those where the aim) I know they are very competitive which is a reason they used against me to not choose it as it is unlikely I will get in. I haven't spoken to any of my teachers in months because of lockdown and no school. Also I doubt my parents would listen to my teachers due to their stubbornness.

Go for it.

Many years ago I was similar situation pressured not to do engineering at one of those places despite having a confirmed place.

Now 19 years later am going back. I regret listening to them and am changing my career and starting over.

I think some Asians don’t like engineers or think is low respect type job.

this is very relatable but i am doing engineering instead,how i think in uni you can do what ever you like your free,you can drop out you dont have to tell them or just **** of never see them again (not telling u to do this but u can if you like but probably a bad idea idk depends on ur situation )
Well its the UK so they should integrate and follow our culture, simple!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending