prok999
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don't know how many of you are facing this, but I know many (including me) who have results downgraded.

I have got 4A* in school mocks, and I always remained a consistent performer at school. I don't believe my eyes today my board gave me CDDD. that's a huge difference..how's it possible? I feel like dying....my uni dreams are crashed, they've very short deadline for applications. I don't know what to do. Most of my friends are undergoing the same situation.

how can they just do anything with us? they are enjoying the lottery, turning many of us into paupers...

My life isn't just a joke.
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
appeal. if you got 4 A*s in mocks according to the trple lock whatever it's called youre dandy
royalty1702
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by prok999)
I don't know how many of you are facing this, but I know many (including me) who have results downgraded.

I have got 4A* in school mocks, and I always remained a consistent performer at school. I don't believe my eyes today my board gave me CDDD. that's a huge difference..how's it possible? I feel like dying....my uni dreams are crashed, they've very short deadline for applications. I don't know what to do. Most of my friends are undergoing the same situation.

how can they just do anything with us? they are enjoying the lottery, turning many of us into paupers...

tf! I feel sorry for you bro. But it seems likely that you will get 4A* or at least close to it when you appeal
prok999
Rep:
?
how long does the appeal process take?
bambi1425
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how long does the appeal process take?
I think it can take 30bdays?? tho that might be somit in my school 🤦
OW432
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If we do manage to appeal successfully to upgrade, would it be too late to secure our firm uni place if the application has already been unsuccessful?
ANON_122
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
U have to pay between £100-150 quid to appeal and its on ofqual to decide if the appeal is successful or not
Last edited by ANON_122; 1 month ago
prok999
Rep:
?
(Original post by bambi1425)
I think it can take 30bdays?? tho that might be somit in my school 🤦
My uni is not gonna wait that long
prok999
Rep:
?
(Original post by bambi1425)
appeal. if you got 4 A*s in mocks according to the trple lock whatever it's called youre dandy
is there any other way out? my uni deadlines are near.
bambi1425
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
is there any other way out? my uni deadlines are near.
what uni? ask them to hold your place- most unis are due to how badly it's gone
Soph58
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m in the same shoes I was getting BBC in year 12 and ended up with ADD. What a f*****g joke. My teachers predicted me BCD which isn’t fair because I never got those grades ever. I think it’s due to the ranking system. The appeal will take 35days which leaves me with a week to get into uni. I was rejected from my dream uni -aka my firm choice - UCL which needs AAA. I have no idea what to do as I really want to go ucl. Do I take a year out and resit or?
aisharaindrop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Soph58)
I’m in the same shoes I was getting BBC in year 12 and ended up with ADD. What a f*****g joke. My teachers predicted me BCD which isn’t fair because I never got those grades ever. I think it’s due to the ranking system. The appeal will take 35days which leaves me with a week to get into uni. I was rejected from my dream uni -aka my firm choice - UCL which needs AAA. I have no idea what to do as I really want to go ucl. Do I take a year out and resit or?
Resit
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hey, so sorry to hear about this.
Can't imagine how you must be feeling.

The first thing is to stay calm, drink some water. Things will be okay and you're going to get sorted.

First of all some quick questions:
- What course were you applying to?
- What was your firm offer?
- What was your insurance offer?
- Have you spoken to your school about your results and what did they say to you about appeals?

Some information:
We know very little about the appeals process right now regarding mock exams. Ofqual have said they'll provide detail about how it will all work "early next week". This news might be distressing, but this is as much as we know about appeals right now apart from the Secretary of State saying that mocks will be used as a safety net (quite what that means, we don't know).

There is a thread here for more detail about the existing routes of appeal to:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6602014 have a read

I'm now going to give you little a to do list:

1. Speak to your school today (Friday) about your options for grade appeal

2. Phone up your firm choice uni today (Friday) , tell them you plan to appeal. They will say "okay, please get your appeal result back to us as soon as you get it". We don't know about any changes to appeal timescales yet, but if you get a grade appeal result back by 7th September AND you now meet the offer requirements of the uni, they will give you a place.

3. Phone your insurance uni and do the same with the above ^ today (Friday)

4. Think about whether you want to make use of the October exam series. See the link above with more info on that. Give yourself the weekend to consider this - no instantaneous decision needed on this but start thinking about it now and talk to parents / guardians / whoever's at home along with your teachers as well. (Send your parents the link to the FAQ above if needed.)

5. Worst case scenario is that you've got the grades that you've got and they aren't going to change. Ask yourself:
a.) Do I still want to go to uni this year?
If yes, start looking at clearing places today (Friday). You have grades that will get you onto some courses. If you tell us what the course is we can help you from there.
If no, then:
b.) Do I take a gap year?
You could resit your exams in 2021 or do something else for a year (work, travel) and make a fresh application.
c.) Sod uni let's do something else?
Speak to the National Careers Service (they're on TSR too) about what your next steps might be.

The Big thing to remember here is you aren't alone. TSR is here to support you. :heart:
Soph58
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aisharaindrop)
Resit
I might have to but that’s mean reapplying again with extra students for 2021 entry
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OW432)
If we do manage to appeal successfully to upgrade, would it be too late to secure our firm uni place if the application has already been unsuccessful?
That's something we don't 100% know for sure yet - we'll here that detail next week.
Normally, a university would hold their offer for you when you tell them that you're going to appeal, and will take you
(Original post by ANON_122)
U have to pay between £100-150 quid to appeal and its on ofqual to decide if the appeal is successful or not
That is under the existing appeals system this year which has been announced and in place for a good few weeks now. If you weren't aware, the Education Secretary released (some very vague) new information at 10pm on Tuesday evening declaring there would be a new appeals system based on mocks. We're still waiting to hear from Ofqual what this will look like (the announcement was a surprise to them as well!) and they've told us that'll be around Monday/Tuesday. See here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/r...12-august-2020
My uni is not gonna wait that long
See my response to the first quote in this post.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Soph58)
Hiya, again I'm really sorry to hear this. :hugs: - You aren't alone and TSR is going to help you. :dumbells:

I think everything I've written in post #13 applies to you too.
What is your insurance offer?

I'm still online and will be for the next 10 mins or so if you need.

I'm just going to repost the little to-do list I wrote above here for you:
1. Speak to your school today (Friday) about your options for grade appeal

2. Phone up your firm choice uni today (Friday) , tell them you plan to appeal. They will say "okay, please get your appeal result back to us as soon as you get it". We don't know about any changes to appeal timescales yet, but if you get a grade appeal result back by 7th September AND you now meet the offer requirements of the uni, they will give you a place.

3. Phone your insurance uni and do the same with the above ^ today (Friday)

4. Think about whether you want to make use of the October exam series. See the link above with more info on that. Give yourself the weekend to consider this - no instantaneous decision needed on this but start thinking about it now and talk to parents / guardians / whoever's at home along with your teachers as well. (Send your parents the link to the FAQ above if needed.)

5. Worst case scenario is that you've got the grades that you've got and they aren't going to change. Ask yourself:
a.) Do I still want to go to uni this year?
If yes, start looking at clearing places today (Friday). You have grades that will get you onto some courses. If you tell us what the course is we can help you from there.
If no, then:
b.) Do I take a gap year?
You could resit your exams in 2021 or do something else for a year (work, travel) and make a fresh application.
c.) Sod uni let's do something else?
Speak to the National Careers Service (they're on TSR too) about what your next steps might be.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago

Just appeal. How have they turned you into a pauper? Its all a bit of a mystery at the moment.
Sit the exams in the Autumn and get your true grades.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Final thing from me, it's worth saying that there is no right and wrong way to plan out your future education and careers.

If you're feeling gloomy tomorrow have a read of TSR's NoWrongPath thread - your grades don't define you. :heart:
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OW432)
That’s going to depend on the university.

Universities are asked to hold spaces until 7 September. Some will be happy to wait even longer especially if they start later.

Depending on the timing then you might be offered a deferred place instead of a place this year.
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! Have you spoken to your school and asked what grade they had submitted? It would be good to get the full picture so you know what your next steps are
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (1)
14.29%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (2)
28.57%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (4)
57.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed