The Student Room Group

Access or Foundation year? Help me

I live 25 miles from the nearest college, I applied for an access to HE Course, I can get it free because I’m under 23. However I’m a lone parent with a 1 year old and won’t get help with childcare, I’m on benefits (self employed too)
And student services have been really unhelpful, they won’t give me any idea about timetables so I can even try arrange childcare. I’m not even allowed to know the term dates.

I got offered a place on a uni course with a foundation year, the uni 140 miles away, I’ve looked at private rent it would be way too much. I’ve been looking into social housing and looking to swap with someone who lives 80 miles from the uni (1hr25) they have a flat I have a house so I’d be downgrading but this would also be near to my family so they could look after my child, I’d also get a childcare grant, student maintenance loan and other grants because of being a parent & care leavers, so financially I’d be a lot better off and I wouldn’t have to work part time jobs too, like I would in college. I also drive btw.
I was thinking about even getting a hotel in freshers week just to make some friends

I don’t know if I’m just making things hard for myself or not
Are there actually many benefits to doing a foundation year rather than access course?
If I did access course I could then go to a uni near me, or could also transfer after foundation year
Have you looked into distance learning access courses ?

The main difference is in the finance but it is a very personal decision. I would suggest that you ask if the university can put you in touch with a former/current mature student from the foundation year to speak to.
Have you looked into distance learning access courses ?

The main difference is in the finance but it is a very personal decision. I would suggest that you ask if the university can put you in touch with a former/current mature student from the foundation year to speak to.

yes I have but I wouldn’t be able to fund £3000 for the course fees and I also need student finance or to work full time to survive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending