tperson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm thinking of buying an hp Omen 15, but have seen many people advise against gaming laptops for uni because of portability, so I thought maybe I should get a tablet as well. Don't know if this changes anything, but I'm taking maths.

Thoughts? Should I get a tablet? If so, which types are recommended? Should I just stick with the laptop, paper, and a pen?
CrownCopyright
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
iPad Pro for maths I think you can get programmes for maths
bluewolf21
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tperson)
I'm thinking of buying an hp Omen 15, but have seen many people advise against gaming laptops for uni because of portability, so I thought maybe I should get a tablet as well. Don't know if this changes anything, but I'm taking maths.

Thoughts? Should I get a tablet? If so, which types are recommended? Should I just stick with the laptop, paper, and a pen?
What's the total amount of money you'd wish to spend on everything?
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CrownCopyright)
iPad Pro for maths I think you can get programmes for maths
I can't recommend the iPad Pro. While the hardware is certainly top-notch, the software really does let it down. For getting on with serious work, iPadOS can't compete with fully featured operating systems like Windows and macOS, or even Samsung's DeX software on top of Android. As a primary device, it just falls apart for that reason. And as a secondary device, it's arguably too expensive.

For a tablet that would actually be a better laptop replacement, a Surface Pro makes more sense due to the fact that it runs full Windows 10 which is just a better OS for productivity.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Omen laptops have historically been pretty chunky, but there are lighter gaming laptops available that can definitely be considered portable if you plan on bringing your laptop to lectures everyday. What's your budget?
tperson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Omen laptops have historically been pretty chunky, but there are lighter gaming laptops available that can definitely be considered portable if you plan on bringing your laptop to lectures everyday. What's your budget?
(Original post by bluewolf21)
What's the total amount of money you'd wish to spend on everything?
I don't have a super rigid budget, but if getting a laptop and tablet, I'd like to stick under £1400 and £400 respectively. Overall, as long as I'm around the £1800 mark, I think I can part with my money
Last edited by tperson; 1 month ago
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't have a super rigid budget, but if getting a laptop and tablet, I'd like to stick under £1400 and £400 respectively. Overall, as long as I'm around the £1800 mark, I think I can part with my money
If it was me, I'd be splitting that budget between a gaming desktop and a portable laptop/tablet, rather than getting a portable gaming laptop or heavy laptop & tablet. With that said, the Asus Zephyrus G14 is an awesome option for a lightweight gaming laptop, coming in at 1.6kg and nicely portable with its 14" form factor. It comes in varying flavours depending on how much performance you're looking for and how much of your budget you wanted to spend, with a 1650 model costing just shy of a grand (although I would ignore this one and jump immediately to the 1650ti at least, or the 1660ti if you can find that model in stock somewhere) while the 2060 model maxes you out.

https://uk.store.asus.com/rog-zephyr...-graphics.html

https://uk.store.asus.com/rog-zephyr...-1650-4gb.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...05673-pdt.html
Last edited by Gofre; 1 month ago
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd say get this ASUS for your laptop then and just use pen and paper to take notes. It's fairly light at 1.6kgs of weight, is fairly small by gaming laptop standards at 14", has really good battery life, and still has a lot of power for gaming.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
26.05%
Less motivated (88)
73.95%

Watched Threads