cool_cool
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hii. My hair is very heat damaged and right now I’m coping with breakage. I also have many split ends not just at the bottom of my curly hair, but all throughout, even at the top of my head. Is there a way of getting rid of them without cutting all of my hair off? Thanks
TSR User_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Maybe you could:

Vaseline does prevent and treat your hair's split ends. Split ends are a sign of weakness and dryness as well and can affect short and long hair. Use a generous amount of petroleum jelly on the ends of your hair for at least one hour to work it's magic in locking the moisture in, then wash your hair like you always do.

Try colder showers.
Randomgyal0404
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Just let it grow out and moisturize with deep conditioner and gel
Dujion.A
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by cool_cool)
Hii. My hair is very heat damaged and right now I’m coping with breakage. I also have many split ends not just at the bottom of my curly hair, but all throughout, even at the top of my head. Is there a way of getting rid of them without cutting all of my hair off? Thanks
I have 4a afro textured hair and I use castor oil it grew my hair past my shoulders and I use it on the ends it makes my hair feel so smooth and moisturised and it prevents hair from breaking off I definitely recommend it thickened my hair or you can use rice water it stopped my hair from breaking off but dont use it everyday or you will get protein overload(it makes your hair dry and brittle) only use 3x a week.
Dujion.A
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
if you want to get rid of heat damage then try a protein treatment they help to get your hairs elasticity back and prevents breakage I use honey,egg,castor oil, aloe vera gel and avacado and mix it together and put it all over my hair and after an hour wash it off with a mild shampoo and after a conditioner to restore the hairs lost moisture. or you can massage your scalp with oils so your natural texture will come back and when its grown to the length you desire cut off the damaged ends. or if you dont want to cut it off try twist outs and braid outs Hope's this helps and moisturize hair daily with oils and detangle hair from gently from ends to roots to prevent breakage.
Feastful
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Irregardless of what some products might try to claim) you can't fix hair that is already broken. However there are a whole multitude of products out there which can dramatically improve the appearance of very damaged hair (and hair that is simply dry is always a reversible situation). But having damaged hair professionally trimmed off on a regular basis really is the best means to get rid of damaged hair because split ends can generate more split ends and split and break at a rate faster than what your hair can naturally grow at (and so stunt the regrowth of healthier hair).

If you have split ends throughout your hair (including at the top), I'd be really concerned about that though, because that would indicate that how you are managing (styling, caring etc) your hair is causing it a great deal of damage. Are you in the habit of straightening or dying your hair on a regular basis (and what shampoo/conditioner do you use)- do you know how it got into this state?

I would personally recommend going to a professional hairdresser to talk through your options, have some of the damage removed and get some advice on the best products to use (many hairdressers sell products which although expensive, are vastly superior to anything that you'll find on a supermarket shelf).
Azurekalyani
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
cut em
cool_cool
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sofie Rose)
Maybe you could:

Vaseline does prevent and treat your hair's split ends. Split ends are a sign of weakness and dryness as well and can affect short and long hair. Use a generous amount of petroleum jelly on the ends of your hair for at least one hour to work it's magic in locking the moisture in, then wash your hair like you always do.

Try colder showers.
thanks for the help! Should i do it every time i wash my hair?
rxyaltyx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
cutting it is the best way to go, even if it's just a little trim
TSR User_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
thanks for the help! Should i do it every time i wash my hair?
Yeah. It also says wash it like you normally do.
cool_cool
Rep:
?
(Original post by Feastful)
(Irregardless of what some products might try to claim) you can't fix hair that is already broken. However there are a whole multitude of products out there which can dramatically improve the appearance of very damaged hair (and hair that is simply dry is always a reversible situation). But having damaged hair professionally trimmed off on a regular basis really is the best means to get rid of damaged hair because split ends can generate more split ends and split and break at a rate faster than what your hair can naturally grow at (and so stunt the regrowth of healthier hair).

If you have split ends throughout your hair (including at the top), I'd be really concerned about that though, because that would indicate that how you are managing (styling, caring etc) your hair is causing it a great deal of damage. Are you in the habit of straightening or dying your hair on a regular basis (and what shampoo/conditioner do you use)- do you know how it got into this state?

I would personally recommend going to a professional hairdresser to talk through your options, have some of the damage removed and get some advice on the best products to use (many hairdressers sell products which although expensive, are vastly superior to anything that you'll find on a supermarket shelf).
im really not sure what happened to my hair. I have split ends all over and even short sections of my hair at the side of the hairline which looks like ive tried to cut a fringe. I guess i over straightened and was too rough with it
yellowbuttercup
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I had the exact same problem! It happened to me because I hadn't cut my hair in a long while, I had dehydrated hair and also I swim so the chlorine was damaging it.
Honestly, cut them off. That's what I've done. My hair was at my waist and now it's a bit below my shoulders and there's still a few split ends but I'm gonna get my hair trimmed more often now which will help.
I also advise buying a shampoo that caters towards your hair type.
Feastful
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
im really not sure what happened to my hair. I have split ends all over and even short sections of my hair at the side of the hairline which looks like ive tried to cut a fringe. I guess i over straightened and was too rough with it
If you straighten your hair on a regular basis then that will cause it a lot of damage. I would recommend getting the damaged ends cut, straightening your hair less often, using more in the way of products which product it from heat damage and adopting a better leave in conditioner routine to help rejuvenate your hair.
cool_cool
Rep:
?
(Original post by yellowbuttercup)
I had the exact same problem! It happened to me because I hadn't cut my hair in a long while, I had dehydrated hair and also I swim so the chlorine was damaging it.
Honestly, cut them off. That's what I've done. My hair was at my waist and now it's a bit below my shoulders and there's still a few split ends but I'm gonna get my hair trimmed more often now which will help.
I also advise buying a shampoo that caters towards your hair type.
how long did it take to improve? i really want to cut a lot of my hair off but its already very short and it will look bad if i cut it shorter as i have curly hair
yellowbuttercup
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
how long did it take to improve? i really want to cut a lot of my hair off but its already very short and it will look bad if i cut it shorter as i have curly hair
You could just have regular trims and that would work well.
My hair still isn't completley damage free but I started to see results in about a month. <3
cool_cool
Rep:
?
(Original post by yellowbuttercup)
You could just have regular trims and that would work well.
My hair still isn't completley damage free but I started to see results in about a month. <3
thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (44)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.61%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.55%
Lack of purpose or motivation (97)
12.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.15%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (82)
10.82%
Financial worries (51)
6.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.22%
Exposure to negative news/social media (47)
6.2%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.78%

Watched Threads