The Student Room Group

Confused what to do with my future (Results 2020)

So i got my results today and I was downgraded massively. I was predicted an A*AA and got BCE. I needed AAB to get to the university I wanted and although I am appealing, its not still not enough to make a difference.

So now I'm stuck with a hard choice.I originally said if I didn't get the grades I'd just do year 13 again. However, my head of year says that I'm not allowed to do that (I have no idea why) but that I can resit 2 of my subjects. So what I'm considering is asking if I can study from now until the autumn resits and do 1 of my subjects then and then do my other 2 subjects with next years Year 13s.

The other options are trying to revise all 3 subjects and trying to get AAB in the autumn resits but I don't think I'll have enough time considering I haven't revised since March. Or I can just go through clearing. Although I've never really wanted to do that as spending thousands of pounds on a course I haven't researched at a uni I haven't researched seems a lil concerning to me. Anyway i just really want any kind of opinion or help. Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by niamhyyy_bee
So i got my results today and I was downgraded massively. I was predicted an A*AA and got BCE. I needed AAB to get to the university I wanted and although I am appealing, its not still not enough to make a difference.

So now I'm stuck with a hard choice.I originally said if I didn't get the grades I'd just do year 13 again. However, my head of year says that I'm not allowed to do that (I have no idea why) but that I can resit 2 of my subjects. So what I'm considering is asking if I can study from now until the autumn resits and do 1 of my subjects then and then do my other 2 subjects with next years Year 13s.

The other options are trying to revise all 3 subjects and trying to get AAB in the autumn resits but I don't think I'll have enough time considering I haven't revised since March. Or I can just go through clearing. Although I've never really wanted to do that as spending thousands of pounds on a course I haven't researched at a uni I haven't researched seems a lil concerning to me. Anyway i just really want any kind of opinion or help. Thanks!

Hi,
i understand how you feel. Last year I was rejected from my firm choice university and I was equally as devastated and unsure where to turn. This university I had been fantasising over just wasn’t gonna happen anymore and it was a bitter pill to swallow.

Me personally, I’m off to Lincoln now and I’m stoked, this is after having a gap year I decided what I want to do.

As for you I’d say don’t rush into a course, I did and I hated it, left straight away, wasn’t in the right positive mindset for it. Instead decide a course you’d like and shortlist alternative places to get super excited about. Hopefully if the appeal comes through although it might not be enough for your firm, you’ll definitely get into somewhere you’ll like. I’d say don’t risk the resit, l know the E sucks but don’t shoot yourself in the foot, im sure you’re really clever but you’re at a disadvantage with them coming so soon.

I know it’s super sad thinking about that pesky E grade but don’t let it define you, appeal it, look up courses, relax and try to take comfort in knowing that there’s tubs of options for you rather than being intimidated by them. They aren’t taking on an E grade they’re taking on you and that’s more valuable than a stupid envelope with an E on it :smile:

Hi @niamhyyy_bee,

Please don't get too hung up on your grades, there are plenty of uni's which are taking mocks and appeals into consideration!
Taking a gap year and resitting would allow you to choose what you want to study at university but that decision is completely your own. If you are unsure of what to study you can talk to a student ambassador through our platform unibuddy. We can help you decide what might be best for you as we generally know about all the subjects in our respective schools. Lincoln is taking into account people who are appealing and you can ring us on 0808 164 4444 to find out about our places and courses. Alternatively, we have a virtual open day today and tomorrow which you are more than welcome to find out more about Lincoln!

Head to our website to find out more!
Good luck for your future!
Lexy :smile:
remember that getting into uni next year will be more difficult as there is more competition.

Hope everything works out well ss
Reply 4
Hi,I was predicted AAB but got BBC in my mocks and ended up getting BCD in my results I’m in the same situation as I didn’t get into my firm but I got into my insurance I’m not keen on my insurance and really upset about my grades but I guess it is what it is.I’m going to attempt to take autumn exams as I don’t wanna miss out one year and then face the current year 12’s next year.I don’t know my unis situation about taking exams this autumn but I’m still going to take the risk despite any revision.I wish you the best of luck
Original post by georgewinter6
Hi,
i understand how you feel. Last year I was rejected from my firm choice university and I was equally as devastated and unsure where to turn. This university I had been fantasising over just wasn’t gonna happen anymore and it was a bitter pill to swallow.

Me personally, I’m off to Lincoln now and I’m stoked, this is after having a gap year I decided what I want to do.

As for you I’d say don’t rush into a course, I did and I hated it, left straight away, wasn’t in the right positive mindset for it. Instead decide a course you’d like and shortlist alternative places to get super excited about. Hopefully if the appeal comes through although it might not be enough for your firm, you’ll definitely get into somewhere you’ll like. I’d say don’t risk the resit, l know the E sucks but don’t shoot yourself in the foot, im sure you’re really clever but you’re at a disadvantage with them coming so soon.

I know it’s super sad thinking about that pesky E grade but don’t let it define you, appeal it, look up courses, relax and try to take comfort in knowing that there’s tubs of options for you rather than being intimidated by them. They aren’t taking on an E grade they’re taking on you and that’s more valuable than a stupid envelope with an E on it :smile:

Thanks for the reply! There doesn't seem to be any unis I want to go to on Clearing at the minute but I'll continue to check to see if I find anything I like.

I do think you're right about not doing the autumn exams, they're so close and I haven't looked at a book in months 😅
Original post by aleena 1212
remember that getting into uni next year will be more difficult as there is more competition.

Hope everything works out well ss

My firm choice said if i get the grades i needed in autumn I would be guaranteed a place however they are so soon and I dont know how well I'd do on them seeing as I havent done any revision in months.
Original post by youdizzy
Hi,I was predicted AAB but got BBC in my mocks and ended up getting BCD in my results I’m in the same situation as I didn’t get into my firm but I got into my insurance I’m not keen on my insurance and really upset about my grades but I guess it is what it is.I’m going to attempt to take autumn exams as I don’t wanna miss out one year and then face the current year 12’s next year.I don’t know my unis situation about taking exams this autumn but I’m still going to take the risk despite any revision.I wish you the best of luck

I spoke to the uni i wanted to go to and they said that if I got the grades i needed in autumn then I'd be guaranteed a place so you could try contacting the uni and see what they say. I'm not sure about doing the autumn exams though as they're so soon and I don't know if I could get the grades with so little revision.
Reply 8
I called the uni I wanted to go to on results day and they said I will have to apply next year if I do get the grades.
I don’t want to waste a year. But at the same time I want to go to a good uni. It’s really confusing
Hopefully the grade boundaries are low this autumn and not many people have revised.

I spoke to the uni i wanted to go to and they said that if I got the grades i needed in autumn then I'd be guaranteed a place so you could try contacting the uni and see what they say. I'm not sure about doing the autumn exams though as they're so soon and I don't know if I could get the grades with so little revision.

What are you A-Level subjects? Maths and Sciences are easier to revise than Humanities and Arts subjects! :wink:

It all depends on the subjects and it is a sensible idea to sit them in June 2021 after solid preparation.

Don't go through clearing unless you are happy!!! :smile: Because you will probably not enjoy the course or environment of the university and drop out. It is known that thousands of candidates resit each year and they do much better as they focus on past papers, mark schemes and read the examiner's reports too. Exam techniques play a huge part in gaining the A* and A grades unfortunately as well as having the textbooks that the examiners have written for students.
Original post by thegeek888
What are you A-Level subjects? Maths and Sciences are easier to revise than Humanities and Arts subjects! :wink:

It all depends on the subjects and it is a sensible idea to sit them in June 2021 after solid preparation.

Don't go through clearing unless you are happy!!! :smile: Because you will probably not enjoy the course or environment of the university and drop out. It is known that thousands of candidates resit each year and they do much better as they focus on past papers, mark schemes and read the examiner's reports too. Exam techniques play a huge part in gaining the A* and A grades unfortunately as well as having the textbooks that the examiners have written for students.

My A-levels are Maths, Biology and Psychology so they're all science-y subjects.
And i emailed my teacher and she thinks if I do resit it and put in the effort I can get an A* in Psychology which is what I want to do at uni. And i can also bring my other 2 grades up as well.
My A-levels are Maths, Biology and Psychology so they're all science-y subjects.
And i emailed my teacher and she thinks if I do resit it and put in the effort I can get an A* in Psychology which is what I want to do at uni. And i can also bring my other 2 grades up as well.

Maths is a matter of practice makes perfect and really understanding the concepts. Using Examsolutions, Khanacademy and PatrickJMT can boost your grade. Biology has some awesome revision videos on YouTube too and for Psychology PsychLogic has notes and is written by an examiner as well being just £25 when it was originally £75. :smile: https://www.psychlogic.org/pages/how-to-pass-psychology-a-level-sample-material
Just a bit of an update (I don't know if anyone cares but ah well 😅)

I decided to resit the year and I'm doing the two subjects I didn't get the grades in (maths and biology) and I'm also doing an EPQ.
I think it was one of the best decisions I made and I've completely changed from last year. I'm so much more confident, I'm getting As and Bs on all homeworks and tests and I just generally understand it a lot more.

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it. :smile:
Just a bit of an update (I don't know if anyone cares but ah well 😅)
hey
I decided to resit the year and I'm doing the two subjects I didn't get the grades in (maths and biology) and I'm also doing an EPQ.
I think it was one of the best decisions I made and I've completely changed from last year. I'm so much more confident, I'm getting As and Bs on all homeworks and tests and I just generally understand it a lot more.

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it. :smile:

hey man do you have discord or whatsapp? I am in a similar situation to you and would like someone to discuss this with
Original post by _speedwagon_
hey man do you have discord or whatsapp? I am in a similar situation to you and would like someone to discuss this with

Just PM them please don't ask for their WhatsApp or discord (against TSR rules).

Quick Reply

Latest